Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Wierd Water Leak Under Bathroom Sink

Posted By: 5thwheeleroldman on 01/07/11 09:46pm

We have a 2008 Hitchhiker and occasionally it has an unexplained leak under the bathroom sink. We just notice a lot of water, then clean it up and dry it out, then no problem, no more water. So i'm not sure where it leaks. It has only done this twice in three years.

I'm suspicious of a small device they put on the water line beneath the sink. A water line goes into a plastic device then comes out into another line. Maybe this is some kind of throttling, or freeze valve?? I wonder if it periodically leaks. But since I never catch it in the act, I'm not sure.

Anyone know what might be happening to us?

Posted By: Washboy on 01/07/11 10:11pm

Does your suspicious device look something like this?
[image]

If yes, did you notice the water after flushing the black tank?

Yes again? It's the vacuum breaker (back flow preventer) for the flush system. A replacement is in order.

Posted By: Old-Biscuit on 01/07/11 10:49pm

Something else to check.......

Is your shower next to the bathroom sink/cabinet?
If so, is the shower faucet on the shower wall next to bathroom sink/cabinet?

Look inside cabinet for access to shower faucet/lines and check for leak.

Our HitchHiker had a crack in shower faucet, intermittent leak that took a while to track down.

Good luck.....water leaks are a pain.

Posted By: 2oldman on 01/07/11 11:13pm

My kitchen sink water fittings leak if I'm on 'shore' water instead of the pump. I guess the higher pressure does that.

Posted By: family5th on 01/07/11 11:14pm

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Something else to check.......

Is your shower next to the bathroom sink/cabinet?
If so, is the shower faucet on the shower wall next to bathroom sink/cabinet?

Look inside cabinet for access to shower faucet/lines and check for leak.

Our HitchHiker had a crack in shower faucet, intermittent leak that took a while to track down.

Good luck.....water leaks are a pain.

x2nd that suggestion, except our leak was coming from a bad seal between the glass and the basin, a little caulking, no more water.

Ben, Stephanie, Taylor, Adam & Dylan (Twins) & Max the Pug
2008 Heartland Sundance 2998RB, Loaded with Toys, Toys, and more Toys
2009 Ford F250 PSD CrewCab 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, Ride-Rite Bags w/ on-board compressor and Tank.

Posted By: rvsatek on 01/07/11 11:47pm

I vote for the vacuum breaker. I have seen this before.

Larry
1994 Ford F250/7.5L/410 gears
2001 Keystone Sprinter 276RLS 14' slide

Posted By: tvman44 on 01/08/11 06:33am

Pour a lot of water down the drain at one time and see if it leaks. Ours would leaked a couple of times and what I found was the drain pipe from the lavatory was 1 1/4" going into a 1 1/2" P trap. So I went and bought a gasket for a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" and that solved the problem. Apparently the factory was out of these gaskets and put a straight 1 1/1" gasket, so there was clearance around the 1 1/4" pipe. Only leaked if a lot of water went down the drain at one time.

Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Posted By: Dave H M on 01/08/11 06:38am

I would replace the vacuum breaker for the hey of it and see what happens.

Posted By: heaterswa on 01/08/11 06:58am

I would find a puddle under the kitchen sink every so often. It took a trip in the rain to see what was happening. Water had leaked in on rare occasion from a small crack in the caulking around the outside stove vent, ran inside, down the wall, across the counter top, and under the uncaulked kitchen sink. 1 tube of caulk, no more leaking...priceless.

-Bryan

Me, Wife, 3 daughters, and a woof woof
TV: 06 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4WD / Prodigy / Reese Signature 18K
FW: 07 KZ Durango 315BH / Fifth Airborne / Sidewinder / JT Strong Arm Stabilizers

Posted By: 96Brigadier on 01/08/11 07:59am

2oldman wrote:

My kitchen sink water fittings leak if I'm on 'shore' water instead of the pump. I guess the higher pressure does that.

Ditto, I had the same problem even with a pressure regulator. Also if the water lines had some air in them (i.e. after being in storage for a week or two) when I turned the pump on the shaking of the water line at the sink would cause it to leak a bit.

2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,700 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

Posted By: MudChucker on 01/08/11 08:27am

Dont forget to let us know what you find out - there is a lot we can learn from threads like these.

Cheers.
Kevin.

2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Posted By: rramjet on 01/08/11 10:15am

I vote for the Black tank vacuum valve as well. I was happy to see that the plastic one that normally would have been in our used Cameo and were noted for failing had been replaced with a brass one but the other day after extensive black tank flusing, found lots of water under the sink. The plastic fittings into the valve were leaking instead. Tried tightening them but still had small leak. They have teflon tape so may have been over torqued and cracked. Haven't replaced them yet.

Posted By: Butch50 on 01/08/11 10:49am

Washboy wrote:

Does your suspicious device look something like this?
[image]

If yes, did you notice the water after flushing the black tank?

Yes again? It's the vacuum breaker (back flow preventer) for the flush system. A replacement is in order.

X3

I had a leak under my bathroom sink in another 5er. It only happened when I flushed the black tank. It was a brass one and it was not leaking around the fittings but after some research I found out that in order to operate properly they need to be pretty straight up and down. Mine was at an angle so I used some zip ties and tied it off to the other plumbing to make it level and end of leak.

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2017 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2018 Grand Design 303RLS

Posted By: Luke Porter on 01/08/11 04:44pm

I had an intermitent leak that I finally figured leaked only when the ot water tank went from cold to hot due to the water expansion pressure. I tightened fittings and bleed pressure when heating a tank of cold water.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Posted By: Rug on 01/08/11 06:35pm

You might want to go to the NuWa owners forum and ask this question.

www.nuwaowners.org

A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

Posted By: katmann343 on 01/09/11 06:04pm

In our 2009 LKRSB HH we had a leak in the bathroom sink also. The drain pipe was somewhat loose. Hand tite the sucker abour a half turn. Problem fixed.........

2006 F 350 PSD King Ranch
2004 Hitchhiker II LS UKTG

Posted By: 96Brigadier on 01/09/11 06:08pm

katmann343 wrote:

In our 2009 LKRSB HH we had a leak in the bathroom sink also. The drain pipe was somewhat loose. Hand tite the sucker abour a half turn. Problem fixed.........

In our old trailer I found I had to hand tighten all of the fittings every spring and usually once in the middle of camping season. That took care of all issues but one fitting that remained problematic.

Posted By: RVing 4 FUN on 01/09/11 10:46pm

In my Jayco I had a leak in the bathroom sink as well. Thankfully it was under warranty and the dealer tried to duplicate and could not make it happen...I think they tried to dulicate it 4 or 5 times. When I asked about possible solutions they mentioned a small washer in the faucet...They said it was a 25 cent part and replaced it(which I think took 5 minutes of time). Needless to say it fixed the problem and no more leaks.....so don't overlook the cheap fix. Not sure it is the same issue but a small washer or value can produce the same isses.....trust me as the wife accused me of using too much T.P. down the toilet....when in reality it was the 10 or more rolls replaced from being wet under the sink.

Posted By: RVTravler on 01/10/11 08:13am

We also have an 2008 Hitchhiker and this has happen to us as well, and also like you it has only happen a couple times in the past 3 years. It has only happen while I was flushing the black tank. I called NuWa and spoke to RV and he said it was the vacuum breaker (back flow preventer).

Posted By: Washboy on 01/10/11 09:51am

The vacuum breaker is installed in the black tank flush plumbing to prevent siphoning of the waste tank’s contents back to the supply plumbing. It works by water pressure.

When no water is being applied to the vacuum breaker’s inlet, a spring opens the valve’s outlet to atmosphere…allowing air to enter the discharge plumbing. This causes any water in the discharge plumbing to drain back into the waste tank.

When water is applied to the valve’s inlet, water pressure must overcome the valve’s spring pressure to simultaneously close the vent and open the water way to the waste tank. Debris inside the valve, such as dried minerals from hard water, can prevent the valve from sealing promptly, allowing water to flow into the atmospheric vent…and into the compartment…in this case, the vanity cabinet. (Many OEMs install the vacuum breaker under the vanity sink.)

Another cause for vacuum breaker leaks is the failure of the operator to quickly open the water supply. Sometimes, the water volume from the flushing hydrant is low or the valve is simply opened too slowly. Until the column of water in the supply piping can fully overcome the vacuum breaker’s spring pressure, the valve may only partially open, again allowing water to discharge from the breaker’s vent.

So, before assuming the vacuum breaker needs replacement, remember to always open the flushing system’s water supply quickly. Installing one of these quarter-turn hose-end shutoff valves on the flush system’s inlet may be an inexpensive solution.
[image]

Storing TP in an upper cabinet along with lidded containers for all the items stored under
sink cabinets is also a wise idea. A small container placed under the vacuum breaker may eliminate the need to mop up potential spillage.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

2003 GMC Sierra SLT ExtCab 3500 D/A 4X4
2003 Carriage Cameo LXI F34CK3

Posted By: 5thwheeleroldman on 01/12/11 07:19pm

OK, problem solved. Sorry to be so late getting back. I had a mess. Yeah, the wierd looking thing was the antisiphon device on my holding tank flusher and it was unrelated to the problem.

The real problem was that Hitchhiker had not tightened the connection to the cold water valve and had clamped the hot water connector just below the insert. It looked clamped, but it was just barely caught. All this was hidden up behind the sink and looked OK from a casual inspection. The problem was that it was all intermittant. Anyhow, problem solved, money spent, disgusted with manufacturers. Though to be fair Hitchhiker seems to have screwed up less than other manufactures I've dealt with.

Seems no one consistantly, 100%, does their job correctly anymore.

Posted By: Washboy on 01/13/11 08:46am

Darnit!

Don’t get me wrong…I’m glad you got it fixed.

But, I was absolutely sure that I was finally right about something. Alas. [emoticon]

Posted By: MudChucker on 01/13/11 01:33pm

Washboy wrote:

Darnit!

Don’t get me wrong…I’m glad you got it fixed.

But, I was absolutely sure that I was finally right about something. Alas. [emoticon]

Once, I thought I was wrong... but I was mistaken [emoticon]

Print  |  Close