Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 50 Amp Power Cord

Posted By: Duck on 01/10/11 08:32am

The 50 amp power cord that came with our trailer is stiff and a real pain in the but to handle. The MH next to us has a 50 amp power cord that looks a little smaller in diameter and much easier to coil up. What could be the difference between the two cords?
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Posted By: j2catfish on 01/10/11 08:41am

The insulation determines the physical size of the cord. The conductors (wires) are both rated to handle the 50 amp current.
Catfish

K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

Posted By: richfaa on 01/10/11 08:49am

better quality or a marine grade cord.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Posted By: Joe in Texas on 01/10/11 08:52am

Our 50 amp cord is 30 ft long...sites we frequent only require a 12 to 15 ft long cord.
Should I invest and carry both size cords ?
Where would I find the short cord ?
Thanks

Posted By: Monty-Rob on 01/10/11 08:59am

This one looks interesting. Not sure where they are sold. Flexible, handle to unplug and led indicator.

2014 Lifestyle 37CKLS (Sold January 2018)
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat (Sold January 2018)
2012 Started fulltiming on February 1st (stopped fulltiming December 21, 2017)

Posted By: rhochnadel on 01/10/11 09:14am

I carry a 25 foot cord and a 15 foot extension!

'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance"">

Posted By: jasonlisan on 01/12/11 11:19am

Duck wrote:

The 50 amp power cord that came with our trailer is stiff and a real pain in the but to handle. The MH next to us has a 50 amp power cord that looks a little smaller in diameter and much easier to coil up. What could be the difference between the two cords?
Don

I use a 50amp that goes down to 30amp which is smaller in diameter 90% of the time, much easier to handle. I still carry my 50amp cord if I'm in hot climates because that's the only way I can run my two AC's.

Posted By: Roger10378 on 01/12/11 08:06am

I had the same problems and my cord had some damage so I got one from Glendining products. Much more flexible high quality cord but a bit expensive. I haven't checked it at 0deg. but still very flexible at 40deg. I bought direct from them they will sell you the length you want.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Posted By: JamesBr on 01/12/11 08:38am

figure 8's are the easiset way to coil 50A.

2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Posted By: USA in a Chevrolet on 01/10/11 09:34am

jrh1147 wrote:

Our 50 amp cord is 30 ft long...sites we frequent only require a 12 to 15 ft long cord.
Should I invest and carry both size cords ?
Where would I find the short cord ?
Thanks

I cut my 30 footer in half & put a new receptacle on one end & a new plug on the other. Total cost was $53 from Camping World. I use one half most of the time.

Posted By: aruba5er on 01/10/11 09:49am

The differance is the outer coating. I too had a very stiff cord and scrapped it out. Do your ends come off or is yours a molded cord. Can you unplug it from the camper or is it wired in? If you can remove the ends, get a new piece of cord. Get a S, SO or SJO cord. It will be very flexible but be prepared to pay. With scrap copper around $3 a pound that cord is going to cost some serious money.As far as having 2 cords of various lengths, I would not because every connection (Plug and outlet) is another source for resistance and chance for bad connections.(read Burning) You may have to go to an electrical supply house I doubt that Home Depot will have that cord.

Posted By: Duck on 01/10/11 11:26am

aruba5er wrote:

The differance is the outer coating. I too had a very stiff cord and scrapped it out. Do your ends come off or is yours a molded cord. Can you unplug it from the camper or is it wired in? If you can remove the ends, get a new piece of cord. Get a S, SO or SJO cord. It will be very flexible but be prepared to pay. With scrap copper around $3 a pound that cord is going to cost some serious money.As far as having 2 cords of various lengths, I would not because every connection (Plug and outlet) is another source for resistance and chance for bad connections.(read Burning) You may have to go to an electrical supply house I doubt that Home Depot will have that cord.

My current cord has the molded marinco type fittings. The cord is not wired into the trailer.
Don

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 01/10/11 11:53am

The MH you saw had a better quality cord.
(Kinda like the tire threads - the mfgs *don't* furnish the best - simply whatever they can get by with).

You have a few choices, but (IMO) *don't* cut your cord!

Easiest:
Coil the cord in a laundry tub or some other means to make usage easier.

Next would be to buy a short(er) cord. Fifteen footers are available from suppliers.
But . . . you will need a Marinco connection which will cost almost as much as the cord itself!

Yes, you could cut your existing cord in half. You still have one section with the Marinco.
Buy std 50 amp connector/s (any hdwe store) for the original length if needed.

Drawback: If you need both sections - you now have the connection on the ground during inclement weather, and of course - when it's cut, no going back!

*If* you don't always want or need 50 amp - buy a Marinco 50 to 30 amp adaptor
(about $50) and use a 30 amp cord (about $20. - Wally).

(IMO) the *BEST*:
Powered (12V) cord reel with 50 amp cord (it's much more flexible).
Note: It's pricey - but, for me, hands down the best accessory I ever added.
Pull out as much as you need - push button to reel it back in.
I hard wired mine - pig-tail male to/from the power center to either of 2 female "options".

1. To the cord reel.
Cord reel is mounted in front storage compt with slot in door to accommodate cord when extended.

2. To the original Marinco outlet at the back of the trailer.
(When -if- I were to sell the trailer, the cord reel can be included in the deal - or move on with me.)
It also gave an option of using the original outlet at the opposite end of the trailer (campground power pedestal at rear).
I've only seen that once - don't carry the original cord anymore - just a 15' extension.

BTW it can only go to *one* power source at a time - also with or without an "inline" PI EMS.
My normal, standard set-up is: pig-tail to EMS, to cord reel.

Disclaimer:
*If* you're not handy with electrical work, seek out someone who is.

~

* This post was edited 01/10/11 12:02pm by ol Bombero-JC *

Posted By: ryoung on 01/10/11 01:12pm

Make sure he is using 50 amp service by looking at which receptacle he is using on the pedestal.

He could be using only 30 amp service by utilizing an adapter cord that has the conversion plug on the female end such as THIS.

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Posted By: vermilye on 01/10/11 01:28pm

Quote:

Get a S, SO or SJO cord. It will be very flexible but be prepared to pay
Probably more than most people are interested in, but some general information on cord:

S types without the "J" are 600v Extra Hard Usage Service Grade.
SJ types are 300v Junior Hard Service Grade.

Code does not specify which cord type (S or SJ) is required for an RV, only length (minimum of 25'). Although SJ cords are lighter & less expensive, they are more easily damaged. Type S cords have thicker jackets, more fillers, and are much tougher (most could be used as a tow chain).

Either can be made with a thermoplastic or synthetic rubber jacket. Thermoplastic insulations are less expensive, but get very stiff when cold, while synthetic rubber are flexible warm or cold, but cost quite a bit more than thermoplastic. To add even more confusion, there are Thermoset cord types that can have good cold flexibility.

The "O" stands for oil resistant and can be added to either weight cord.

An additional "O" stands for Outdoor, a "W" for weather resistant. If there is a "T" in the cord description, it will be thermoplastic, however some thermoplastic cords leave out the "T".

Carol Wire produces both an S & SJ "Super Vu-Tron" rubber cord, however #10 is the largest size available on a standard order. This is an extremely flexible cord even below freezing.

Coleman Wire manufactures Seoprene 105 SEOOW & SJEOOW cord that is rated as extremely flexible at cold temperatures.

More information at LEX Products and Coleman Wire.

Lastly, most of the cord you can purchase at your local big box hardware store will be thermoplastic. You will need to go to a real electrical supplier to get the better quality cords, and they will not be inexpensive.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Posted By: jay5er on 01/10/11 06:01pm

Hi Don, Imagine taking your cord up to Michigan and trying to use it in November or April-talk about stiff. I use an old style milk crate which allows me to coil and I store it in my unit. Hope this helps
Stay safe.

Posted By: tvman44 on 01/10/11 09:15am

That MH may be using a 10-4 cord, that is what I use as I never exceed 30 amps on each leg.

Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Posted By: Niceguytoo on 01/10/11 09:22am

One would need to determine what the size and specs are of each conductor in the smaller 50 amp cord to see if they are adequate. 50 amp service is supposed to handle 50 amps on each seperate out of phase 110V circuit. However, many RV parks are not wired that way.

Posted By: nickelAF on 01/14/11 08:38pm

tvman44 wrote:

That MH may be using a 10-4 cord, that is what I use as I never exceed 30 amps on each leg.

Same here twist locks on 10/4 30’ 20’ 15’ lengths 65’ if needed most of the time the 15’ does the job. Two 30 amp breakers on the pedestal end of the cord. Have yet to trip these breakers. I have used the 65’ in extreme situations.

07 Arctic Fox 31WRB
04 6.0L 4X4 Excursion

Posted By: Duck on 01/15/11 08:11am

Dave H M wrote:

ryoung wrote:

Make sure he is using 50 amp service by looking at which receptacle he is using on the pedestal.

He could be using only 30 amp service by utilizing an adapter cord that has the conversion plug on the female end such as THIS.

My thoghts exactly.

Myself, I would consider striking up a conversation and ask him.

I talked to him and it is 50 amp.
Don

Posted By: Duck on 01/15/11 07:09am

The power cords on the MH had a power cord electric reel that would probably require the more flexible, expensive, cord.
Don

Posted By: Dave H M on 01/15/11 07:39am

ryoung wrote:

My thoghts exactly.

Myself, I would consider striking up a conversation and ask him.

Posted By: leghorn204 on 01/14/11 11:32pm

Duck wrote:

Don

The difference between the two cords is that the MH cord next to you is smaller and easier to coil up.[emoticon]

Posted By: one_strange_texan on 01/14/11 08:04pm

I have found the ambient temperature has a lot to do with the stiffness of my 50 amp cord. During winter camping (Southern winter camping), I find I really have to wrestle it to coil in up. Sometimes I almost lose!
I too have an extension. I had one too many times where I could not park my trailer where I wanted due to the reach to a poorly sited electrical service post. Fort Wilderness was a prime example.

one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Posted By: dapperdan on 01/12/11 02:37pm

I'm glad this topic came to light again, I know now what I'm going to do. I have now a 30 AMP 25' cord, I'll be buying an adapter plug that will connect to my trailer and allow me to use my 30 AMP cord to avoid struggling with the 25' "stiff 50". I'll keep the 50 AMP cord bundled in the basement until I "need" to use it. Most of the time I can easily get away with 30 AMP hook ups.

Dan

Print  |  Close