RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Thousand Trails Buy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimmyt

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/03 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy a big name park campground membership. There are lots of small campgrounds that have memberships that are very cheap and you can have it all. I just bought a membership for the first years membership fee of $99. Plus I got Coast to Coat for $110 and RPI for $65. Next year it will be $243 for all three. The best thing is that you get everything from this that you would get if you were to spend 2K to 8K for TTN or K/M or any of the other big names. You can stay at ALL the TTN parks for just $5 per night, it will take a long time to spend the 2K to 8K at just 5 bucks. It's your money, and this is just one mans oppion!! My error not thousand trails but all Naco parks are in RPI book.

*This Message was edited on 26-Apr-03 10:58 PM by jimmyt*

nabob1

Murrieta,Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/03 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim where do you look for these thrifty(never use the work cheap) memberships?

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/03 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be interested in hearing this also as only one Naco Park(Indian Point MS) and Leisure Time Parks are in the RPI system and no Thousand Trails Parks are c2c.

Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Civi

Sonoma County, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/03 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobkat21 - which one did you join ?

Civi

2001 Dodge 2500 4X4 QC SB SLT 4X4 47RE, 3.55; EZ, 4in ex, FASS Prodigy, ATS+
2002 Sprindale 295BHL-GL slide w/Honda EU3000is http://keystonervs.forumco.com/
1996 BMW R1100RTL - Siena Redhttp://home.comcast.net/~mcivi1/wsb/media/187234/site1020.jpg

MCharlie

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/03 02:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I joined Thousand Trails back in 1979. Over the past 24 years, we have seen our investment grow from 7 resorts to 50 some odd resorts, nationwide. We added all the 'adds' over the years with the exception of LTI and have never regretted our decision to join. If TT were to fold today, we have not lost any money, considering the amount it has been used.

MC

webrvn

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/03 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I guess I'll chime in. We joined TT/N/LTR in '99. We had about two years experience with RV'ng. We too are impulse campers. We like to take off sometimes on a Friday on a whim. Well, we learned early that if you have to rely upon state and county campgrounds, in the summer, here is southern CA, chances are slim to none that you'll get a spot. Reservations way in advance are required. We went to private parks a few times, paid $35-$45 per night. That just didn't fit our style. So we camped in the winter, when it wasn't so crowded. Or we went to the desert. We basically enjoyed that for a while (still do once in a while), but our three boy's quickly grew bored. For us adults, simply enjoying nature was a pleasure, but for the boy's, they became eager to go home and be with their friends. After a while, at least our oldest, really did not want to go camping, we basically had to drag him along. We soon began to think that the expense of owning a motor home was not worth it, considering we were not having a whole lot of quality family togetherness, that we envisioned. We thought about selling the MH.

We finally broke down and went to one of those free weekends offered by TT. We thought we would just take advantage of the freebie, we knew there was no way would join - not interested at all!

As soon as we got there, our boy's became very excited at all there was to do, plenty of other kids, they made new friends in about five minutes. We the parents met new friends as well, everyone for the most part was very friendly. Nice park, pool, clubhouse, activities, etc., etc. We were very supprised that we changed our minds and decided to join, considering how steadfast we were about not joining, initially not interested at all!

The place sold itself, we really were not subjected to any high pressure sales tactics. It was amazing, we decided on our own we wanted to join based on the excitement of our kids and the fun we too were having. We have never regreted it. Our oldest son is now almost 16, we're amazed he still wants to go camping with the family (hope it lasts). TT parks are really nice, the amenities a great.

TT is not for everyone, but we are really enjoying our membership! We've got a few favorite parks we go to over and over, and there are still many we haven't been to yet. Just about everytime we go, we find ourselves in the clubhouse (maybe it's a 100+ year old log cabin), noone else around. You can light a fire in the fireplace, play cards, shoot pool, watch a movie, read a book, whatever, it's all there for your personal use. For a while we feel like we own the place. There we are in an amazing clubhouse, noone say's, who are you?, what are you doing here? It's great!

We never have any problem getting into any park any time we want, short notice or not.

I don't think you can have experiences quite like that in a public campground.

The only problem I see is that sometimes there is not a TT/N/LTR park where we want to go. So we supplement with an RPI membership for $65 per year, which you can get when you have one of the big memberships. You can camp at an RPI campground for $5-12 per night.

It all works for us!!!

98" Itasca 31T
99" Ranger
Towmaster Falcon

unique

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/03 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought into TTN in 97 and upgraded to the LTR. Since we are retired, we use the membership all the time. Most of the parks are great. We also bought into Western Horizon. WH seems to have nicer parks. They have limited use during the summer months since the locations are in the hot areas. We enjoy using both of these memberships and since some are located close to each other can use them in conjuction with each other. After seeing the prices the private campgrounds charge, we think the membership parks are a great deal. Dropped the RPI. Didn't think it was worth all the trouble. Joined Passport America and it is also a good deal at $44.00 a year.

Bob & Judy
SALEM, OREGON
2000 Beaver Marquis
2005 VW Beetle (Diesel w/stick)

Sandra

Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/03 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which 3 are within hours drive from Crestline, we live in Arrowhead. Thanks

*This Message was edited on 26-Apr-03 04:50 PM by Sandra*

jimmyt

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/03 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nabob1
Use any search engine and put in "Campground Membership" and see what comes up. I've found campgrounds from $99 to the skys the limit.
Bea PA
Your right, I made an error when I said all TTN's. With RPI you only get Naco and not TT, I throught they were all together, My error. Here in CA there are 15 TTN parks and with RPI we get 7 of them.

klquinn

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/03 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also bought at the presentation last year. We have friends who spend too much time trying to get into some of the parks around here (southern California)that when we had an opportunity to join and always have a spot when we want to camp we took it. This could change now that summer is coming... Friends would often start calling on the 1st of any month to try to get reservations for sometime in the month. We're impulse campers so on Fridays if we want to go we call up one of the close preserves(within 2-3 hours)we are able to get reservations. So far we've been to Rancho Oso, Soledad, Wilderness Lakes and Vegas. They're always clean, the kids have something to do and we don't have to drive far. It's probably more than I would have thought that I would pay for a membership but I like the facilities and security.

Kevin & Linda
'97 Coachmen, 30 Ft C Class, no toad
2 bikes, 2 scooters, 2 kids, and
a cat named Cadaver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.