RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How is interstate 25 in New Mexico ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> How is interstate 25 in New Mexico ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
travel fool

Elsah, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/11 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually go to Florida in February but this year we've decided to go to Tucson. Our route takes us west on Interstate 40 to Albuquerque and we would like to head south on Interstate 25 to Las Cruces. We only have a gas hauler and can't make it up steep hills. How is the terrain on that stretch of Highway 25? Does it go through mountains?

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few hills, yes. Mountains, no.
[emoticon]
Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

johnna

Southwest, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-25 follows the Rio Grand Valley from Albuquerque to El Paso. No grades to speak of.

The Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge near the small town of San Antonio is well worth a couple of days layover. see:

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/

****************************************************** ">
2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/11 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some hills, but no mountains at all, no passes to cross. One good pull out of Albuquerque to get up on the mesa, some up and down canyon crossings/hills/pulls on both sides of T or C. May have wind gusts in the canyons. Nothing severe at all in ways of pulls and descents. It is never in the valley of the Rio Grande, but up above it with many arroyos often in canyons running to the river.

Albuquerque has many neat and cool things to see there. As does Santa Fe which is north of I-40 on I-25. If traveling on I-40 east of Albuquerque, Take US 285 at Clines Corners, NM exit 218 to cut up to the I-25 to reach Santa Fe, then use the 25 to go to Albuquerque. If wanting to see Santa Fe.

At San Antonio, exit 139, just passed Socorro, the Bosque del Apache would be very neat this time of the year. A neat side trip from San Antonio would be to take US 380 follow it to Carrizozo and the neat Valley of Fire BLM Campground and lava field. From Carrizozo, one can reach Alamogordo via US 54/70. From Alamo, you can hop over to Las Cruces with only one modest pull over the Organ Mts at San Andres Pass (elevation 5719 ft.); Cruces is at about 4,000' and Alamo is at 4533 ft.

Around the T or C area, three state parks, Elephant Butte SP and Caballo SP with Caballo being closest to the interstate as well as Percha Dam State Park a nice place on Rio Grande, near Caballo Lake. Elephant Butte Lake State Park headquarters are 5 miles north of Truth or Consequences via I-25 exit 83. Caballo Lake State Park is 16 miles south of Truth or Consequences via I-25 exit 59 and NM 187. Percha Dam State Park is 21 miles south of Truth or Consequences via I-25, exit 59.

In case you are hungry when in Las Cruces, Southern NM style Mexican Food is the best you will find anywhere. IMHO.
Las Cruces area NM Mexican food plus camping and attractions in the area. Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces, nice desert camping above the Rio Grande if needing a different place to stay in the area. Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Ft. Selden was the boyhood home of Gen. Douglas McArthur.

If you are looking for things New Mexico, just to the west of Las Cruces is Historic Old Mesilla. If you will be looking for Indian jewelry or other crafts, Mesilla may have better buys than up north, mostly the same stuff. Shopping in Mesilla

White Sands Nat'l Monument - Alamogordo over the Organs Mt. on US 70 from Las Cruces.

One can by-pass Las Cruces by taking NM 26 at Hatch, NM, exit 41 on I-25, to Deming and I-10. If can't eat in Cruces, this one should be good as well:
Fidencios Mexican Food

501 West Hall Street, Hatch, NM 87937
(575) 267-4950

The very neat and unique City of Rocks State Park North of Deming.

Photos City/Rocks

HIstoric and on Mexico border Pancho Villa State Park South of Deming, in Columbus.

Rest Area West Bound Mile Marker 61 -West of Deming, New Mexico: Rest Area
The Welcome Center/Rest Area on West side of Lordsburg has a nice area to park overnight as well.

In AZ:
Willcox has a free place to overnight Stout's Cider Mill & AZ Vistor Center

Chiricahua National Monument by Willcox is great, been there will go back. Chiricahua NPS but if rigs are too long for the Nat'l Mon Campground in the Coronado National Forest above it you can desperse camp for free.

This is Forest Rd 42 or the Pinery Canyon Road which also has at least one campground along the road. * Map ** Campground *** Camping Report *** Small Campgound But diesperse site seems to be much larger area, and closer to the Nat'l Park.

Close by Chiricahua Nat'l Mon there is the neat ruins of a fort, some hiking to get to it. Fort Bowie National Historic Site is worth the 3 mile round-trip walk for the best experience of Fort Bowie National Historic Site. If you physically can not walk the trail, please contact the visitor center staff at 520-847-2500 for directions to the alternate access. Fort

Near Wilcox is The Amerind Foundation ( Amerind Art Gallery is Neat ) a ethnological, anthropological, archaeological museum and art gallery with paintings by 20th century Anglo and Native American artists. We enjoyed the art gallery and the museum. A neat out of the way, hidden site in the boulders of Texas Canyon. The Amerind is located in Cochise County, one mile south of Interstate 10, only about an hour east of Tucson, between Benson and Willcox. It is easy to find - just look for Dragoon Road exit, #318, and head south until you see mile marker 1 on one side of the road and the Amerind entrance on the other. Amerind.Org Cochise Strong Hold is in the same area, drove to it but did not camp, a nice setting. Cochise Stronghold

In the Bisbee/Tombstone Area, the town of Bisbee itself is neat to walk around in and we enjoyed the art galleries. The Queen Mine Tour was neat, we enjoyed it. Tombstone is a very tourist trap site, if you get my meaning. The old Court House was interesting. Tombstone was the site of a lot of wild west history, but is now very commercial. Neat Tour - Queen Mine
You could use Kartchner Caverns State Park - as base to see both Bisbee & Tombstone in a day trip. When we went to the area last, we stayed in a hotel off I-10 in Benson and did both as a day trip, then drove back to Las Cruces. It was my son-in-laws first time to see them.

Never eaten in Bisbee, but this one sounds Up Class - Cafe Roka. But I have a hunch the Bisbee Grill would be a winner, and I bet you could get some green chile on you cheese burger there as well. If it looks like a looser, perhaps The Alley Cafe will do the trick. For some authentic Sonoran-style cuisine, Santiago's Mexican Restaurant might be the place.

Just found this from the Amerind site, Triangle T Saloon at the Triangle T Guest Ranch near Dragoon, AZ; 60 miles east of Tucson in the foothills of the Dragoon Mountains "to experience Mesquite Barbeque fine spirits and more..." [emoticon] Bon Appetit!

Tucson Area +

* This post was last edited 02/03/11 05:14pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

reddwar

Valley Center Ks. /Now Scotland SD.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/11 01:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you get to OKC I would stop at truck stop ask truckers & I would check weather at NOAA , you need to see if snow on I 40 west.

A good chance you could get snow this time year as you will be in high country on I 40. East of Albuquerque you will be over 7,000'. If snow I would take I 35 south to I 20 to I 10 to Tucson. That is how we went to Tucson last Jan. as I do not like pulling in snow.

red

* This post was edited 02/04/11 02:05am by reddwar *

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deserthawk said "Willcox has a free place to overnight Stout's Cider Mill & AZ Vistor Center"

I say - don't fail to stop there - if only for a brief visit to the visitor center and the Cider Mill ( all the same parking lot). AND try the Mill's apple pie!! The use 8 pounds of cut up apples in EACH pie! You can watch them making the pies, depending on the time of day. As a self-styled conoseiur (sp?) of such delicacies - these are outstanding!!
John

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

travel fool

Elsah, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the wonderful information !!! I knew I could count on RV.Net forum for answers.

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if you make it to Lordsburg, stop at the first exit for a free overnight next to the Escapees park.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> How is interstate 25 in New Mexico ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.