|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Report From Tenacatita Visit Feb 08 2011

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/11 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I and a friend were out for a drive and decided to check out Tenacatita!
We sped down the road in from Mex 200 through La Rosa and on to the next small Town. Through it past the Bull Ring and the Racilla distillery. We were beginning to wonder where this Road Block was that was preventing folks from visiting the Famous Beach.
Bingo around a curve in the road was indeed a checkpoint Charlie sort of arrangement blocking the Road. I slowed and eventually stopped in front of an Electrified Gate/Fence . The Ominous looking Guards waved and indicated that we should approach the fancy fence for a talk.

I got out of the Car and approached the Guard, who politely asked if We would like to visit the Beach (La Playa Tenacatita), of course I said Yes. He asked where we were from , where we were staying and could we furnish some picture ID. Sounds like a typical Road block at home in Canada!

He then asked Us to drive forward into a Paved compound with Gates Fore and Aft,.... Not so Canadian ....more like Stalag 9 or so I imagined! The amazing thing was this was a much better Roadblock than anything that the real Police and Military have anywhere in Mexico. These Guys were really impressive. Clean Polite and Armed , but also Alert and efficient. They actually wrote down Our Id Information asked about Cameras and Liquor on board, we had neither. In a moment the Gate on the opposite side of Checkpoint T opened , Our Id's were back in Our hands and we were waved through.

It was explained that there were No Restaurants, No Water , No Toilets and as long as We understood this we could proceed to the end of the Road , Park and walk wherever We wanted!

So off We drove to see for Ourselves what was going on behind the Wall!

It was a semi sweet experience seeing the pile of rubble piled along the side of the road in what was once a swampy area on the right as we approached the T in the Road.

We parked on the road at a very Clean Palapa that stood by the Beach Side of the Deserted Road. There are several of these Palapas that may or may not be Original to the site. They appeared to have been recently Reroofed and were set up for Family picnics etc.

There was absolutely no sign that there had ever been any of the multitude of Restaurants that once lined the Road and Beach. No Blue Corona Paint nothing , just a Virgin Beach and a few solid clean Palapas.

There are New plantings of Palm Trees along the High water mark and everything is sterile and clean.

We talked to a uniformed Guard for a few moments, mostly about where We were from in Canada.He was hoping to come to Calgary to work. He came from Guadalahara to work for a few months at Tenacatita, had no idea what it used to be like there.

We then wandered over to the "Free Beach" where it was also clean but unchanged as far as I could tell.

Most of the better built buildings, Hotels and Houses are still standing where they have always been, but the Ugly Structures are gone forever!

We returned to Our car and headed back towards the Highway. We were waved through the checkpoint and invited to come back to Swim anytime.

I can't really tell You the story of the politics behind what has happened here as I really don't know.I can say that we were treated very well by the Guards that we encountered.

It will be interesting to watch the Development for sure!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

sparksmex

Melaque Jalisco, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Day time only ... from 9am to 6pm. I've heard the police have relaxed but only a few months ago it was not so pleasant

My Mexico Web
http://sparks-mexico.com

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Lew No Beer! and No Camping! at least for now. The place will remain un soiled for now!
Hard to say what the future will bring!

clarlk

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be good for the area, let the land rest and let mother nature clean up after us foul humans..

daveB110

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/11 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe good for the area for now, leaving things to nature is not usually a bad thing, but that's a doubtful scenario if a golf course and big resort hotel is built as had been stated. The tens if not hundreds of thousands of Mexicans who used to visit every year, and hundreds of Mexicans who used this beach as the base for their livelihoods - some say as many as 800 - are out of luck. With a stroke of a pen one judge has allowed this to happen. Actually, nearby residents are out of nearly everything. 200 chickens were distributed this past Christams - and NOT by the Real Estate tycoon, Villalobos, who evicted beach residents at gunpoint in the early morning of August 4th, 2010, but by people who have wintered there in some instances, for many decades. Villalobos has taken over far more than the 40 acres he claims he bought from the wife of a dead jeffy, some say a military general, but he also has apparently laid claim to the federal tidal zones. Dozens watched their possesions destroyed, or stolen by the pickup truck load, that August day - their property claims and the money they invested, gone.

Snow River TC

BC Canada summer / Jalisco, Mexico winter

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/11 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that resort ever gets built, a letter writing campaign to travel agencies & tour companies to boycott it will be in order.

Snow River TC

BC Canada summer / Jalisco, Mexico winter

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see the governor of Jalisco seems pretty buddy buddy with Villalobos (on the right), the guy who is behind all the bulldozing of properties, evictions & claims he owns the land.

[image]

keelhauler1

Cleveland, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was it possible to camp there or only a daytime visit?

John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------

tenacatita1

Tenacatita

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/11 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We landed by boat opposite end of the restaurants and tent camped at Tenacatita for 3 days. No problem.

No I.D. only gave them names.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwY4Zpti_bA

* This post was edited 02/09/11 05:39pm by tenacatita1 *

Bounder Lew

Pulling the RV pin after transitting Mex to Nova S

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great news Rob. We will try the same thing with some amigos. But I dont know about the no cervezas (beer) (beer) is mandatory with our crowd lol.
Thanks for dropping by the other day.
cheers from LDT

An ex Class A with towed. Now Bungalow in Melaque.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Report From Tenacatita Visit Feb 08 2011
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.