RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Jackson,WY to Moab/Red Rock country.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Jackson,WY to Moab/Red Rock country.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RamblinManGA

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/11 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi from sunny Ga. . . Looks like US 191 would be a good route and then a central spot to plop the TT and sightsee. Just wondering how 191 was and where to plop. We have a 25' tt. Ending up at GCNP. Thanks for advice in advance, Regards, Craig

Formerly 'Seahawk09'

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/11 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flaming Gorge?

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/11 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used US 191 last year in returning from Yellowstone/Tetons. We drove to the Flaming Gorge area in Utah just south of Rock Spring, WY; was a long trip. We found a nice Forest Service Campground (Fire Fighters Memorial, I believe it was called) to overnight there and had time to some sightseeing. Second leg was to Colorado Nat'l Mon't above Fruita, Colorado near Grand Junction. Third leg was to Mesa Verde Nat'l Mon't via Silverton and Durango, which was a mistake the cost was too high for a quick stop and the road was being worked on and was a mess. Fourth leg was to Show Low and Pinetop-Lakeside area in the White Mountains of Arizona, another long day on the road. We did get some good Bar-B-Que there at Grumpy Jake's. We stayed at a Forest Service campgound at Lakeside.
[image]
Flaming Gorge Campground
[image]
Big Horn Sheep at FG visitor center

[image]
Colorado Nat'l Mon't

US 191 was good on the sections we used. We used other hwys after we got to Vernal, UT. One section of CO 139 had some steep grades, and narrow roadways. Some steep grades on US 191 as well at times from Flaming Gorge to Vernal. Not too bad.

Southern Utah

Maybe some of this might help: Flagstaff to Santa Fe, NM Plus

* This post was edited 02/13/11 04:47pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

ramblemutt

Mountains of Utah-7000'

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info from DesertHawk as usual. If you turn left in Vernal you'll take CO 139 south over Douglas Pass (somewhat narrow, snaky and relatively steep both sides as DesertHawk describes). If you turn right and stick with 191, you'll head south (at Duchesne) over Indian Canyon Pass (9500' plus, long easy ascent from the north, shorter hairpins and steeper downhill on the south side). About sixes IMO. 191 probably a bit shorter tho I haven't computed. Once you get to I-70, fairly smooth optional transitions wandering over to GC.

"WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND HE IS US"
TWO OF US + THREE FUR KIDS (36 lbs, 44 lbs, 80 lbs)

SADLY, HEALTH ISSUES HAVE FORCED ME TO GIVE UP TRAILERING. MY EXCURSION AND TT HAVE BOTH BEEN SOLD. IT'S BEEN A HELL OF A RIDE.

ehouk

Roamin', WY

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/11 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My mapping software sends one from Jackson down Rt. 189 to Alpine, WY the down US89. US30 to UT16 to WY89 to I80W to US40 to US89 to US6 to 191 to I70/191 to Moab. This is all good road and is about 482 miles. Could be a one day drive, or not.

If you take US191 down into UT is is good road. From Rock Springs it is a constant up gradual upgrade until just north of Vernal. Then it plunges at a 9 to 10% grade with about 10 hairpin turns. I have done this towing a 31' 5er and driving a 40' DP. White knuckles on both trips. But....we made it.

If you go Douglas Pass in CO on RT. 139, you get the same white knuckle down hill. But we survived that too. I think the route in the first paragraph will avoid some of the steep grades.

Great destinations.

-Ed
2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4034

My web pages
More photos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Jackson,WY to Moab/Red Rock country.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.