RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Correct size of TV Mounting screw for outside wall?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Correct size of TV Mounting screw for outside wall?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Crazyfoe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/11 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got an '06 Keystone Cougar and if my memory serves me correctly it has 2" aluminum sidewall framing? Anyone know for sure, and if so what length of screws should I use? I'm trying to install a flat screen TV wall mounted bracket.

04' Chevy Silverado 2500HD 496 cu in - Allison
'06 Keystone Cougar 304BH
1 Honda eu2000i generator
Drawtight Activator
Huskey Weight Distribution System
1 Spazzed Weimaraner

Dklingler

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your best bet is to determine a screw size is to remove a screw all ready in the side wall and determine a length from that. Most RV side wall framing is 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". You will need to hit a stud or if you're lucky a backing block.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/11 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your going to have a hard time securing it to those little thin aluminum studs or the 1/8" luan paneling. I suggest you attach it to a piece of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood and brace the plywood to the wall.

keithinspace

Fredericksburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/11 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Mr. ScottG. The moment created around a television, especially in transit, may overcome the lag bolts you have through the thin metal studs in the wall.

My TV happened to be on an interior wall made for mounting, so it already had 3/4" particle board as a solid backing. I still 'through bolted' the mount to a mount on the other side, equalizing the moment between the two mounts and making one heck of a contact washer so nothing could pull through.

My Dad, faced with the same issue as you on an exterior wall, erected a face of 3/4" birch-faced plywood and stained it to roughly match the cabinetry. That can be held in place with more numerous, smaller lag bolts. He through-bolted the television swing-arm mount to the plywood before he mounted it to the wall.

Hope that helps.

2011 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 255BH
Hensley Arrow
2012 Ford F250 Lariat(6.7L Diesel, 3.55 gears, Crew with 6.5' Bed)
Me, Wife, Girl (9 YO), Boy (7 YO), Blind Beagle (108 YO), Tuxedo Cat (3 YO; 6 lives remaining)

Crazyfoe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/11 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Your going to have a hard time securing it to those little thin aluminum studs or the 1/8" luan paneling. I suggest you attach it to a piece of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood and brace the plywood to the wall.

Ya that's not a bad idea. I've located the framing both horizontal and vertical. I do plan on removing the tv during towing, as we stow our small crt tv's now.

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/11 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will agree with what is said above. I had to reach the same decision as you two seasons ago. We to be frank, was sick & tired of disconnecting the TV placing it on to the bed in a way to assure a safe trip to the next stop, only to go threw the same procedure time & time again. There in the living area Jayco had designed a waist high TV shelf above a storage area to set the TV on. In looking at the thickness of that outside wall, and the stress of that TV/ mount placed against that wall, even with some type of spanner board, I deducted that the risk was not worth the chance. I adopted a pole mount for the TV, fastened on the top of of the 3/4" thick counter described above. Mounted as close as feasible next to the outside wall. With a Velcro holding strap held the TV snug with on the move, & now affording a longer extension & thus a wide swivel, we made the right decision, NO WALL PROBLEMS what so ever !!!!

John H

Crazyfoe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/11 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now theres a new idea to consider, it's a pain to move the tv every time but ours is used seasonally at one location so no that big of an issue. What I was thinking was something like this, not mine but close.

[image]

Crazyfoe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/11 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John H wrote:

Will agree with what is said above. I had to reach the same decision as you two seasons ago. We to be frank, was sick & tired of disconnecting the TV placing it on to the bed in a way to assure a safe trip to the next stop, only to go threw the same procedure time & time again. There in the living area Jayco had designed a waist high TV shelf above a storage area to set the TV on. In looking at the thickness of that outside wall, and the stress of that TV/ mount placed against that wall, even with some type of spanner board, I deducted that the risk was not worth the chance. I adopted a pole mount for the TV, fastened on the top of of the 3/4" thick counter described above. Mounted as close as feasible next to the outside wall. With a Velcro holding strap held the TV snug with on the move, & now affording a longer extension & thus a wide swivel, we made the right decision, NO WALL PROBLEMS what so ever !!!!

Got a pic of your setup perhaps?

John H

Kansas City Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/11 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure but they are sitting on the computer & we don't subscribe to any outside posting form, but let me give you an idea what I came up with.
1. In the plumbing dept. you will find what is described as a pipe flange. This is a galvanized flange with cast flat 4 holes that tapers into a round threaded female coupler. drill out to 1/4" buy flat 4 taper head 1/4" machine screws the length needed, 4 large finder washers, 4 nylon lined set nuts. Find a piece of rubber big enough to make a gasket between the flange round base & counter top. punch 4- 1/4" holes to match.
2. In that same area you will find a chrome or gold color metal to covering/drop down over this flange.
3. In the ceiling fan dept. you will find a short length of ether chrome or gold plated pipe with threads to match you flange. ( used to drop ceiling fans to a lower height) Cut length to fit your area. But wait until fully acembled to determine cut.
4. You will also find a rubber top cap sized for this pipe after sizing for the pipe cut.
4. Tricky part;;;You will have to determine on the wall mount that you bought what it will take to go from a wall mount to a pipe. I made mine from Oak. Lined the one piece 2 Oak "C'" clamps with non-slip rubber on the pipe side, flat on the TV mount side using shorts bolts to connect.
5. Latter I determined that the TV mounts (clamps) stayed at a certain height 99% of the time on the pole. I Cut a cleave this length slipped over the pipe droped the clamps down on top of the sleeve tighten and there for the clamps/mount/TV can drop no lower.

Forgot to add;;;some where between the clamp to the pole add a length of hold down/back strap. Velcro, plastic draw buckle...pinch it between the most stable,,where you want it to ride, then set it back of & let it drop during TV watching. When the TV is on the move, draw it tight & latch around the center of your TV to you solid stand.

* This post was edited 02/16/11 10:37am by John H *

badbowtie

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/11 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John H
I like the way this sounds I have a shelf that my 19" flat screen barely fits in and really would like to mount a swivel tv mount to it or the wall and this pipe idea sounds like it would work well. I am just trying to decide if I want the 20.00 ebay ones or the one from the camper store that is like 50.00

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Correct size of TV Mounting screw for outside wall?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.