|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What "struggling" isn't

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
enginemasterguru

near Bear Lake

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's settle it amongst ourselves, once and forever.
Losing speed is NOT struggling. Neither is down-shifting.
Thinking otherwise is unrealistic expectations, which come from pre-conceived notions. Those come from 3 sources: what you read here, what you hear when talking to fellow pickup owners, and your own past experiences with quasi-similar vehicles hauling quasi-similar loads.
The way many of you type, it seems you expect a small gas V8, with economy gearing, in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup, to tow a 20,000 pound trailer up a 7% grade at 85 mph, in overdrive, at half throttle.
How did any of you survive the '70s? We all did 3000 rpm just to do 55 mph. No turbo-diesels, no overdrives, just 454s and 460s with TH400s and C6s, turning 4.10:1 gears.
You guys don't seem to understand that the factories intend modern gassers to downshift and rev. That's most efficient overall.
With gassers, the overdrive ratios were never intended for towing up grades. It's impressive that the turbo-diesels often can, but don't let yourselves become jaded.
It's human nature to want more, to expect technology to give us dramatic improvements rapidly. But it leads to the common complaints that us tech gurus are becoming tired of seeing.

Emptypockets

North Central KS

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least we know they never drove a truck for a living - that is why we are called gear jammers!

Capt Skup

Southern Maryland/Nantucket

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your posts reminds me of something another member of a gun owners forum posted recently, "Only on an internet forum is a .38 Special not considered a man stopper". It will get the job done just fine just like the Ford 5.4, Chrysler 5.7, Ford 460, GM 454 will "Get Er Done".

Capt Skup
AD-1(AW)USNRet.
Wonderful Wife,3 Daughters,2Goldens Gus&Riley

"Never get in a battle of wits with an unarmed man"

F-450 Lariat 4x4
Honda Odyssey EX-L
SunlineF281SR
SeaRay 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/CaptSkup?vhost=community

YnotTurbo

Mechanicsville, MD.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/11 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My diesel only goes into overdrive on flat and slight grades when towing. If I am towing up a long grade, my tranny downshifts and either holds speed steady or gains a bit. I am not racing with a 40 plus length trailer or any for that matter. We do get use to the fact that our trucks empty move pretty quickly. I have no problem using the truck lane up a 7% grade for 5 miles. Keeps folks from getting pee'd off at me and its the right thing to do.

Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watching the temp gauge raise beyond the 'normal' range

Watching the oil PSI fluctuate and drop a few. During and the killer...stays lower

Watching the MPH drop, even as you go all the way up to 100% throttle, even
as the tranny drops down one gear, then another

Watching exhaust start to show signs of oil burning (bluish smoke)

Seeing that the ATF color is getting darker and darker

Automatic hunting

Smelling diff fluid odor

Compression readings going down, down

Or that member of my church who always bragged how his Sequoia could
out tow others (F250 PSD, K2500 big blocks, etc). Knew when his wife
complained that we ruined his truck after that trip where the F250's
took off and figured it out, so ditto that. When he got stuck out
in the passing lane and had nothing left to 'have' to dive back in
to create a hazard to others. To when we saw smoke coming from underneath
his truck. To when the neighbor's kid, who is a ASE at a Toyota dealer
said that guy burned up his automatic and diff...that is struggling.

We all have different opinions on what 'struggling' means, or is. Above are
some of what I consider it to be

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PS...my K3500 Suburban's 7.4L was also struggling on that trip with the church
members...

Sure it did jump up to +75MPH going up long inclines with about 80%
throttle and a few 100% throttle sessions. It could quickly get up
there to pass.

My oil PSI dropped a bit during and stayed down. Fluctuations coming back down
from Lake Tahoe said the Mobil synthetic ate it. Ditto the ATF.

Fresh charge too and only about 500 miles.

Changed it out and the oil PSI went back up to 45PSI at idle (hot) and over
75PSI above 1,200 RPMs (hot).

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also.. A higher reving engine doesn't mean things are going in a bad direction. Higher revs equates to faster moving fluids which also means more lubrication. That being said.. I did enjoy pulling my 27' TT with my 2500 CTD megacab over the 8cyl Ford Exploder and the fuel consumption was noticably diff. On the subject of handling, the improvement with the larger truck would not be related to the engine but rather the weight of the TV, the wheel base as well as the diff in frontal area exposed to the head/winds.

I might also add that in the smaller gasser the screaming of the engine did get annoying while on a cross country trip.

I used to be a "Gear Jammer" so I feel I can speak a bit on that subject. In most cases the revs are kept within a range for peak performance (Can't recall but typically 1300 - 2000 RPM??).. in a big truck once you drop down to 1300 or so you'd grab the lower gear (Which drops in at 1900 or so) untill no lower gears are available.. on the lowest gear (big load on a steep grade) sure you'd run loud and slow but you always keep it within the power band as if you could rev higher (Higher than 2000 and beyond) you'd likely grab the next gear if you felt you could hold it..

Excuse if my revs numbers are off for the big truck.. it's been a few years but I'm pretty sure I could shift it like a power ranger if I was back in the seat.. like riding a bike [emoticon]

2009 1500 Dodge Sport QC, Prodigy Brake Controller, 2009 KZ 266 MXT

SWMO

Southwest Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YnotTurbo wrote:

My diesel only goes into overdrive on flat and slight grades when towing. If I am towing up a long grade, my tranny downshifts and either holds speed steady or gains a bit. I am not racing with a 40 plus length trailer or any for that matter. We do get use to the fact that our trucks empty move pretty quickly. I have no problem using the truck lane up a 7% grade for 5 miles. Keeps folks from getting pee'd off at me and its the right thing to do.

I'm in this column also. The beauty of the 6 speeds is that you have 2 overdrives to use, but I haven't felt comfortable in 6th. I'm more interested in my RPM's than my speed. I like to stay around the 2K mark because that's where my torque, which is what moves my load, is at.

2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, what is struggling to a guru and all?

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with much of what you say. As long as you can maintain the speed limit or keeping up with other traffic, you're probably doing fine. Much LESS than that you may not be struggling but others on the road with you probably are (to maintain their cool waiting behind you) [emoticon] My diesel and my gasser both will maintain speed limits about the same but the diesel does it at 2,000 RPM and the gasser at about 4,000 sometimes.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What "struggling" isn't
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS