RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Western Great Lakes, where?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Western Great Lakes, where?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to a motorcycle rally with my Toy Hauler is NE Iowa. We'd like to go on up to the Great Lakes, (Superior and/or Michigan) afterwords.

What's a nice place to camp & ride? Would consider leaving the rig for a few days and doing overnight on the bike too.

thanks.

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/11 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went up to Thunder Bay from Duluth, MN along the shore of Lake Superior using MN 61. We only spent one night in Canada, we stayed the night at a visitor center/welcome center outside of town. We were in a C-class MH. This was in 2001. The drive from Duluth to the border is really nice, neat vistas, a lighthouse and neat state parks along the way. Such as: Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock Lighthouse, Tettegouche, Grand Portage, Cascade River and Judge C.R. Magney. We spend one night at Gooseberry Falls State Park going up as well.

The City of Thunder Bay's official travel and visitor information center, located at the Terry Fox Scenic Lookout.
1000 Highway 11/17
Thunder Bay, ON P7A 0A1, Canada

It is on the Thunder Bay Expy, it had large parking areas & I remember it was at a Scenic Lookout.

Things to do. We went to Fort William Historical Park very neat place.

We had stopped at Grand Portage National Monument, which was equally good if not better; just before we left the US to go into Canada.

There were many provincial parks in the area as well.

We drove back to Duluth and spend a night at a Wal-mart. Then we took a tour via a boat of the harbor the next morning. There would be more to see and do in Duluth as well as Thunder Bay, but we had a time restraint at the time. We had also driven over into Wisconsin just to say we had been in the state as we were getting to the city from the St. Paul area. We drove into the port area in Duluth on the first day. We crossed the Aerial Lift Bridge onto an island and went for a walk on a beach, my son did a little swimming in the way too cold lake water (in early June). There were sea plane rides one could take at the end of the island as well. Neat homes on the island drive. A neat Lake Walk by the port and bridge as well with sculptures.

Clear Lake, Iowa is a neat place we discovered by happenstance.

If in the Twin Cities area, Campground and Neat Things to See.

A Neat Cabela's @ Owatonna, Minnesota.

* This post was last edited 02/18/11 12:16am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/11 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Minnesota and have traveled the north shore 30+ times, and camped in all the parks.

You may want to stay at the municipal campground in Grand Marais, MN. It has about 450 sites located on the harbor and shore of Lake Superior. About a 10 minute walk to downtown.

You can ride up the Gunflint Trail, into the boundary waters area, from town. Many places to travel from that location. Google the area to get information.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/11 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggest the west shore of Michigan around Sleeping Bear Dunes. Really good fish chowder is many of the towns. Good riding for the cycle if you follow the shoreline to Northport down to Traverse City and back up to Petoskey and Harbor Springs (one of the prettiest towns in existence).

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mjhoffman

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I echo what's been said concerning Lake Superior. We've explored it from Duluth to Thunder Bay and in the UP of MI and (after exploring Lake Michigan as well) I can honestly say, it truly is Superior....although we thoroughly enjoyed Lake Michigan too.[emoticon] Lake Superior is one of my favorite places on earth. You get the feel of the ocean and never have to leave the midwest! Can't say enough great things about it![emoticon]

mjhoffman

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/11 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, we stayed at JW Wells State Park in MI and it was nice...right on Lake Michigan and a day trip from Lake Superior. We stayed at Point Beach State Forest in WI. Also right on Lake Michigan and even nicer, IMO, than JW Wells. You can hear the tide from the lake. Sounds just like you're at the beach! Have a great time on your trip![emoticon]

edited to say Point Beach is a great basecamp for exploring Door Co. in WI. It would be great to travel on a motorcycle!

done workin'

home

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/11 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you mentioned motorcycling, I will chime in. I would suggest that you take the Great River Road up to St. Paul and then jump onto I-35 up to Duluth or even Grand Marais as MNTundraRet suggested. The North Shore along hwy 61 is really nice. If you stay in either the Duluth area or Grand Marais you will be in a great spot to do some nice touring on your bike. You could even stay in Minneapolis and bike up from there.

We took a bike trip up to that area last year from Milwaukee. We stopped in St. Paul to see our son and his family and then rode up to Duluth via hwy 35 in Wisconsin. Then up along the North Shore on hwy 61. We stayed at a nice place in Beaver Bay called the Cove Point Lodge. Reasonably priced and a really good Scandinavian breakfast.

But, the point of all of this is to make sure that ride Hwy 1 up to Ely from hwy 61. It is one of the best motorcycling roads I have been on. A real twisty road through the Iron Range with Ely at the end of it. Ely has a number of good restaurants and touristy shopping. As a round trip, this is an all day affair.

Regardless of where you decide to set up your base, the motorcycling is good along the north shore and in the arrowhead region. I'm jealous.

letssay

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/11 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're heading up that way this summer. Thanks for all the good info.
Sounds like a great time to have a bike...Enjoy!

There's no place like home; that's why we take ours with us ">

Enjoy your day!
2005 36' Discovery DP
1 happy husband
1 cool dog (Bradley Yeahbutt) and
Dr. Baxxter Peabody PHD waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/11 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

letssay wrote:

We're heading up that way this summer. Thanks for all the good info.
Sounds like a great time to have a bike...Enjoy!

...well if you like fun folks & bikes, you might go the Moto Guzzi Rally in Elkader IA in early July

http://www.mgnoc.com/rally_calendar.html

I haven't been to Iowa, Minn, or Lake Superior...I've only briefly been to Wisc.

thanks to everyone with great advice.

mjhoffman

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/11 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for Hwy 1 up to Ely in MN....it's SO beautiful!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Western Great Lakes, where?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.