RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Recirculate hot water-completed-pictures added

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Recirculate hot water-completed-pictures added

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to add a system to circulate hot water. Not really a convenience thing but to use my fair weather trailer in temperatures well below freezing.

I think I will install an El Sid recirculating pump. El Cid

The trouble is controlling the flow. I need either a thermostat to cut 12v power or possibly a circulating valve kit to mechanically stop the flow. valve kit I don't have a good line for a 12v thermostat.

If I go with the valve kit the hot water will stop at the rear of the trailer. Ultimately I would like warm water to circulate back to the front. I believe the cold water line from the pump in the rear froze in the pipe that goes forward to feed the water heater.

So I think I want a 12 volt 1 amp thermostat to strap onto the cold water pipe as it enters the water heater. Adjustable would be best. Low cost is good but not critical.

If I went with the valve kit I am not sure I would get enough heat to keep the pipe from freezing. Although the hot & cold run together through the minimally insulated floor with no access. So maybe if the hot line stays warm the cold would be OK.

What do you all think. Any ideas or comments are welcome.
Thanks for reading [emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/23/11 04:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

There is no need to go low voltage for the thermostat, so long as the current carrying is high enough. I'd go with a recirculating loop that feeds water back into the hot water tank.

That elcid pump sure looks pricey. I wonder how an ordinary surflo or similar pump would hold up? It could be used to "suck" the hot water in the loop and so if a low enough temperature was used the pump would not be subjected to high heat.

A simple back check valve might be used rather than an electrically controlled unit.

I am assuming you only want to keep the lines from freezing, and not to use this as a hot water to air heat exchanger system.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found a switch that opens at 100. senasys on amazon

But the more I read about the valve kit I linked above I might just use that.

I am counting on the El Sid to run very quiet and continous. No flow should not be a problem with this pump when flow is stopped by the valve kit. This may well work good as a convenience also. I might just bank on this to create enough flow to resolve the freezing of the cold water pipe. The valve should keep water at about 95 to the faucet so there may well be enough heat to make this work.

* This post was edited 02/27/11 08:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/11 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That battery blanket wrapped around the pipe that freezes? (if the amps cost is acceptable)

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/11 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL, that is my preference to wrap it with a pipe heater from UltraHeat. But the pipe is inaccessable. I contemplated pulling a new pipe but I would have to cut open too much to pull it through. It would also pull a fitting, wire and the wrap through the meager insulation and probably wad it all up near the exit. The pipe goes around a curve from the forward tub wall, across the trailer, then forward to the kitchen. This crawl space is about 5" tall and is stuffed with the heat ducting, piping and some insulation for the floor. Click on my signature for a floor plan. I just do not have the confidence that I could complete the job properly and get the pipe connected again. Amps is a nonissue.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/11 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

El Sid is installed and works great with the Grundfos valve.

Nice little benefit that warm water is immediate in the restroom at the rear of the trailer. The big test against freezing will be next snow trip in nine months.

Someday I need to get some pictures posted.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/11 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi smk,

Good work! Let us know how it works. I'll bet it saves quite a bit of water too!

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/11 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plan to use extra propane, unless you heat the water with 120V power. If you pay for electricity that too may get expensive.

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/11 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pic's Please, or at least a parts list and diagram. I've been thinking about doing this but a shurflow pump would not take the heat and why would you want to listen to it anyway. The El Sid looks like what I want. I assume you pulled a loop line? I want to have water at the shower to save the gallon wasted wating for hot This would be GREAT.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/11 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aruba5er wrote:

Pic's Please, or at least a parts list and diagram. I've been thinking about doing this but a shurflow pump would not take the heat and why would you want to listen to it anyway. The El Sid looks like what I want. I assume you pulled a loop line? I want to have water at the shower to save the gallon wasted wating for hot This would be GREAT.

This is what I've threatened to do for a long time.
But I thought....no pump, just pull a loop line w/ a manual valve on the far bathroom sink. Saving the water is more important than the time waiting for the hot water to get there.
But so far it hasn't got done by itself [emoticon]

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Recirculate hot water-completed-pictures added
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS