RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Making a bedrail for bed in RV?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Making a bedrail for bed in RV?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
maria_bettina

Auburn, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that have preschoolers and an RV -- Has anyone built or bought a bedrail for a bed in an RV? Our son is three and still uses his bedrail on his bed at home. He's too big to sleep with us in our bed in the RV, so we want to put him up in the bunkbed (I don't know if "bunkbed" is the right word; the bed is above the sofa (the sofa converts to a bed), so it's one of those overhead beds that folds up during the day). However, he WILL fall out if there is no bedrail.

To make this more complicated, we have zero extra rooom in the RV, so no room to store the bedrail out of the way. It would have to stay attached to the bed or up on the bunk for the day.

And the mattress is actually a foam pad, so I'm not sure if using the mattress as leverage for a bedrail would work. I don't think there's enough rigidity or weight there.

Has anyone built one of their own, or bought one that worked on a bunk bed in an RV?

I'm thinking of putting in netting of some kind (like a car cargo net) and attaching it to the ceiling with hooks (ugh - I don't want to put any holes in the ceiling!) and to the bunk bed itself, maybe below the foam mattress.

Any ideas? Thanks!

* This post was edited 02/28/11 10:50am by maria_bettina *

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/11 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A search of "bedrails" found this previo........ssion. I am sure there are many others.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

AB6FC

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have bunk beds and a 5yr and a 3yr old (5yr old on top bunk and 3yr old on bottom) We are using the bed rails from walmart (it comes as a set, but we use one side on the top and one side on the bottom

[image]

Walmart Linkhttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Infant-Double-Bed-Rail-Blue/10928626

2010 Berkshire 390BH
350 HP ISB Cummins & MH3000 Allison Transmission
1350 watts solar power

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used the bed rail that has legs that go under the matress. When not in use it was stored under the mattress.

Gsturner

Faucett, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/11 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, an answer to a question I didn't even think about asking! In trying to sleep 4 in my little 17' box on wheels, I disregarded using the overhead fold-down bunk for my 7 year old, very restless sleeper GS. Put him on an air mattress on the floor, which covers nearly every square inch of floor. Bunk + folding bedrails = freedom to move around, even with 4 people. Brilliant!

SKP 115048
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Harley Heritage Softail as toad
Retired:
2007 Titan LE with the Big Tow Package
2010 Rockwood 8315BSS
2008 Suzuki GZ 250-Response to 3/4 Life Crisis ">

maria_bettina

Auburn, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AB6FC wrote:

We have bunk beds and a 5yr and a 3yr old (5yr old on top bunk and 3yr old on bottom) We are using the bed rails from walmart (it comes as a set, but we use one side on the top and one side on the bottom

[image]

Walmart Linkhttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Infant-Double-Bed-Rail-Blue/10928626

How does the railing secure to the bed? Is there a piece that goes under the mattress at all, or does it clamp onto the existing bedframe?

Height is a concern as well; we don't have much room to play with. It's 18 inches from the top of the bed frame to the ceiling, and the top of the bed frame is only about 1 inch from the plywood where the foam mattress sits.

* This post was edited 02/28/11 03:30pm by maria_bettina *

maria_bettina

Auburn, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RicJones wrote:

We used the bed rail that has legs that go under the matress. When not in use it was stored under the mattress.

That's a great idea. What exactly are the "legs" that go under the mattress? Metal, wood? how thick? Your idea would work for most people, but we have a foam topper mattress and anything under the foam will come right through once someone lies down. It's pretty uncomfortable, but maybe my son won't mind [emoticon] As long as the height is short enough that the bedrailing would fit, I'd give it a go. Did you buy it somewhere (link?)?

* This post was edited 02/28/11 03:29pm by maria_bettina *

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to go to Wal-Mart, Babys-r-us or some place like that and look at the bed rails and see if there is something you can use. You might have to do something like put a piece of plywood between the legs and the mattress.
If you don't have enough room for the bed rail you might want to consider the cargo net spread across the opening. Or, you can always duct tape him to the bed. [emoticon] [emoticon]
In our first trailer our son slept in the overhead bed over the fold out couch and he fell out a few times before we got the bed rail. He's now in his 30's and the falls could explain things. [emoticon]
There was a post similar post a few months ago about the same topic, you might want to do a search and see what was said there.

maria_bettina

Auburn, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RicJones wrote:

You might want to go to Wal-Mart, Babys-r-us or some place like that and look at the bed rails and see if there is something you can use. You might have to do something like put a piece of plywood between the legs and the mattress.
If you don't have enough room for the bed rail you might want to consider the cargo net spread across the opening. Or, you can always duct tape him to the bed. [emoticon] [emoticon]
In our first trailer our son slept in the overhead bed over the fold out couch and he fell out a few times before we got the bed rail. He's now in his 30's and the falls could explain things. [emoticon]
There was a post similar post a few months ago about the same topic, you might want to do a search and see what was said there.

Thanks! Adding a piece of plywood is a great idea.

I did a search before I posted, but didn't go back far enough; I had seen a thread from earlier this month that went off topic pretty quickly. I did a search again and found a thread from July 2010 that is very informative - one person recommended buying a closet rod(s) w/the end pieces, sliding in the wood rod and using that across the opening. Brilliant!

[emoticon]

PS If all else fails, a Home Depot trip is in order for a case of duct tape. [emoticon]

Takeda Family

Ottawa ON

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/11 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may be a dumb question but why not just let him sleep on the sofa bed? (Or is that your bed - I am not familiar with your floor plan).
We have 2 kids and we each sleep with one (unromantic I know) that way there is a grown-up on the outside of the bed.

2011 Shamrock 23SS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Me '75
DH '78
DD '06
DS '08

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Making a bedrail for bed in RV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS