RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Santa Fe Trail worth it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Santa Fe Trail worth it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
tkcas01

Roaming Fulltimer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/11 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This summer we will be heading from the Dallas area up toward the Rockies. We were looking for other things to see in Colorado. Don't really know much about the Santa Fe trail. Are portions of it worth checking out? I have no desire to trace the entire thing, but if it has some scenic and interesting things to offer, it might be worth a look.

We could pick it up in Kansas on our way north, but it might be better to get on up to the Rockies, then swing by the trail on the way back south. Thoughts?

Roaming Full Timer

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of it's not that scenic but I suppose some of it in New Mexico would qualify. Lots of places in Kansas you can find the old wagon ruts still clearly visible. One section about 50 miles from Topeka you can actually get out and walk in the ruts and it DOES give you a kind of a rush if you're into historical times.

Here's another idea for you though. Stop at clayton Lake State Park in extreme northeastern New Mexico. the spillway area is just LOADED with dinosaur foot prints. It's a little more ancient history.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took the trip thru Durango and up thru the canyons and box canyons, visited the small townx, see how the people live, greatlly enjoyed the scenery. Went up thru the Coors factory, saw the majestic mountains. I dont know how you could go wrong anywhere up there.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tree in the Trail
http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Trail-Holling-C/dp/039554534X
is a classic children's book that gives the history of the Santa Fe trail from the perspective of a cottonwood tree.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/11 11:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a few ** Santa Fe's Attractions ** maybe something will look interesting for you.

Also Santa Fe Trail New Mexico National Scenic Byway might be a help.

Near Glorieta Pass Pecos National Historical Park. And the Civil War Battle of Glorieta.

Located on the Mountain Branch of the Santa Fe Trail, the old town of Cimarron, NM.

Northeast of Santa Fe, Off I-25 Fort Union Nat'l Mon't north of Las Vegas.

A somewhat short detour off I-25, Capulin Volcano National Monument, the park entrance is on New Mexico Highway 325, 3 miles north of the town of Capulin which is at the junction of NM Hwy 325 and US Hwy 64/87.

See if you can see the wagon mountain at Wagon Mount, NM.

Raton Pass of the Santa Fe Trail.

East of Pueblo, CO: A somewhat short detour off US 160 to La Junta, Colorado on U.S. Highway 50, take Highway 109 north 1 mile to Highway 194, then east on Highway 194 six miles to a historic fort. Years ago, we drove over to see it from the Raton area, via Trinidad to La Junta. Bent's Old Fort and more CO Santa Fe Trail Sites.

Another Byways Link and more NM Byways.

* This post was last edited 03/28/11 12:17am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

reddwar

Valley Center Ks. /Now Scotland SD.

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/11 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bent's Old Fort is worth the stop & while you are in La Junta stop by Hogs Breath Saloon as I have always had very good food there. The cantaloupe if in season at rocky ford is the best there is.

red

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Santa Fe Trail worth it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.