|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My turn to pay the "Idiot's Stupidity Fee"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/11 10:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My turn to pay the "Idiot's Stupidity Fee" ... AKA: Redneck window repair.

I have leaned vicariously from reading of others' misfortunes... Learn from my mistake and do not do what just happened to me today, I will certainly not do it again! ... perhaps someone will take from this and avoid the following:

So I inadvertently drive from the campground to the restaurant for breakfast ... about 1/4 at low speed with a window open. This was mistake #1.

I noticed the opened window when I walked to the restaurant. "I will close it when I return from eating." This was mistake #2.

I exited from eating breakfast and got onto the interstate without closing said window. This was mistake #3.

After driving about 3 or 4 miles I remembered the open window but it was too late. I doubled back and was able to recover what was left of the glazing. This 'aint gonna' be cheap!

A fitted piece of masonite with redneck fasteners (duct tape) will have to do until the replacement arrives.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

TC-less, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups and 2 Northstar Arrows.

Amdek

Tempe

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/11 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ouch! Well live and learn right ! [emoticon]

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/11 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. That sucks. Let me know how much because I have the same window in my Northstar. I have a feeling it ain't gonna be cheap.
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might make History...

Its not very often you see any broken on a Northstar[emoticon]

Too bad about the window..

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

dirtengineer

Southeast Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 12:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer the term "stupid tax".

I hope the stupid tax isn't too steep in this case.

Happens to us all from time to time.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 12:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

When I was in air conditioning school, the instructor was talking about a camper owner that called the company he worked for, stating the air conditioner was not working right.

Goes to the house (already $88 service fee and truck fee of $25 in todays dollars) and sees the truck camper plugged into the house with a 100' long #16 extension cord. The air conditioner was off at the time. He gets out his heavy duty cord, and plugs into the garage, and the camper into the #12 cord.

Tests the air conditioner, and it is taking in 90F air, putting out 72F air, working perfect.

Tells the owner the cord he was using was bad, and bills the $113 service fee. Then winds up his cord, to put back into his truck.

"What I don't even get to keep the extension cord?"

No that is my tool. I don't get to keep the $113, I only get a tiny amoun of that, the rest is spent on the truck, gas, insurance, tax ect.

So at least your thing is not that stupid or simple while costly to fix.

I have always left a window open while on the freeway in the spring or fall. I wonder why there is a problem running down the road with a window open in your case?

Fred.

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 12:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your window. But look at it this way, it could have been worse, like flying off into another vehicle and causing an accident. The window can be replaced. (My friend's Dad had his camper shell somehow fly off on the freeway, he was relieved watching it fly over the top of a car and smash itself to bits on the shoulder without hitting anything). My windows don't open like yours, that is the only reason that I will leave them open if it is hot weather and I'm heading to my campsite. Regardless, it is good of you to post your misfortune to let others know about this potential problem.

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

lzasitko

Regina, SK Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 12:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden HVAC:

The windows that broke are the new style moulded ones and are hinged at the top so when open the bottom is our, wind would catch it and rip it off. Now if they were sliders.... We travel during the summer with almost all the windows open if it is hot out and it stays pretty good in the MH, when we stop or slow down we have to get the air running, never had any issues with the sliders we have but theres nothing to catch the wind either.

mike mck

phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 01:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

When I was in air conditioning school, the instructor was talking about a camper owner that called the company he worked for, stating the air conditioner was not working right.

Goes to the house (already $88 service fee and truck fee of $25 in todays dollars) and sees the truck camper plugged into the house with a 100' long #16 extension cord. The air conditioner was off at the time. He gets out his heavy duty cord, and plugs into the garage, and the camper into the #12 cord.

Tests the air conditioner, and it is taking in 90F air, putting out 72F air, working perfect.

Tells the owner the cord he was using was bad, and bills the $113 service fee. Then winds up his cord, to put back into his truck.

"What I don't even get to keep the extension cord?"

No that is my tool. I don't get to keep the $113, I only get a tiny amoun of that, the rest is spent on the truck, gas, insurance, tax ect.

So at least your thing is not that stupid or simple while costly to fix.

I have always left a window open while on the freeway in the spring or fall. I wonder why there is a problem running down the road with a window open in your case?

Fred.

Fred
I ain't the sharpest tak in the box so help me out here. I get the 16 to 12 cord but the plugging in to House then garage went by me. [emoticon]

B. BOOMER

lost somewhere in america

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 02:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Hi,

Our neighbors did the same thing with their 5th wheel. Hubby took a look & suggested they try plugging it into their dryer socket (WITH A HEAVIER CORD WHICH WAS GROUNDED)! Of course it worked fine.

Fred - I think the garage usually has MORE AMPS/Watts/Voltage (sorry I'm not very tech savy [emoticon]) - I just know that most ACs draw more power than the TYPICAL household outlet is wired for?! (In older homes anyway.)

d3500ram - been there done that[emoticon] on our 5ver. When we got to the CG - we couldn't figure out why 90+ degree air was pouring into the bedroom[emoticon] It had louvered windows - and it happened on I95 during Sturgis week. We were just "thankful" that it hadn't flown off AND smacked some "Hells Angel" in the head[emoticon]

We took the Air Vent Cover Option over the cabover vent on the TC. So we can leave the vent open and the fan on - going down the road. However I know in your case - it wasn't your intent to leave the window open in the first place! But can certainly sympathize with your OOPS moment (although on OUR "what-else-can-go-wrong trip" we also lost the antena, had the pantry shelves collapse, the closet door fall off AND blew two trailer tires - among a few OTHER uh-ohs - all on a two month cross-country odyssey!! We figured we'd be lucky to drag a "shell" home. After taking the 5ver back to the factory for repairs - WE TRADED IT IN FOR A TC [emoticon] yay).

Will your insurance coverage perhaps pay?

* This post was edited 04/02/11 02:53am by B. BOOMER *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My turn to pay the "Idiot's Stupidity Fee"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.