RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Let Me Know if You Have Allison Transmission Fluid Questions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Let Me Know if You Have Allison Transmission Fluid Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Next
Sponsored By:
hzjcm8

Avon, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/11 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

I've just joined Good Sam Club. I was the former Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission. I held that position from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. Let me know if you have questions about TranSynd, the TES-295 specification or just anything to do with automatic transmission fluids. I'm here to help.

Tom Johnson
Former Transmission Fluids Engineer (Allison Transmission, Inc.)
Avon, IN 46123

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
And, thank you for offering your expert advice.
I don't have any questions at this time however, I'm sure others will.
Thanks again.

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are a welcome sight on here!! Someone who says they know what they are talking about, and actually has the credentials and knowledge to back it up. Glad you joined. Gary

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

tenspeedret360

Orange county,NY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/11 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the site, and, like gbopp, have no questions, but want to welcome you. Folks like you are what make this site such an incredible resource for help and guidance. Thanks.

Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra

kkirt1

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome aboard!

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra with the Duramax / Allison combo. There is a ton of discussion about what fluid is best for the transmission. Some have said that upgrading to Transynd is the way to go. I converted about 100k miles ago. Primarily because I wanted the transmission to last longer with the extra 75hp the programmer was pushing through it. I am now getting some drips on the garage floor. Is Transynd the culprit? Should I change back to the GM fluid?

2011 Outback 312BH
Sold - 2006 Fleetwood Pegasus 260xp
2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison

barnaclebill

Atlanta Michigan or towards the sun

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your take on changing trans fluid over to a TES 295 fluid? I have a 2003 Cummins 400 with the Allison 3000 that came from the factory with Dexron. Also if changing over to TES 295, should it be changed twice (after XX miles) to remove as much of the older Dexron fluid? Thanks in advance for any info, Bill

2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

HIGHFLYER

Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/11 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome! I think you will be busy here.

dadd45

northeast NEBR USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum (and remember you "volunteered)...get your PM system ready and be prepared for MANY questions......IMHO, of course

DadD45
2004 Cross Country Coachmen
2001 Wrangler behind
JUST HAVIN' FUN!!!

hzjcm8

Avon, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/11 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Thanks for the kind words (and the warnings about lots of questions). I'll do my best to keep up.

With regard to what to put into an Allison 1000, 2000, 3000, or 4000 Series, my recommendation will always be TranSynd or another TES-295 approved product (and not just because I approved all of these products). TranSynd (and the other TES-295 products) cannot lose viscosity because there's nothing to shear (no IV improvers). ALso, it's formulated with only PAO (polyalphaolefin) base oils so there's also very little oxidation over many many hours and miles of use. We tested TranSynd for thousands of hours in city buses with retarders and garbage trucks (refuse packers) and never saw any sign of oxidation or shear. TranSynd and the TES-295 specification (which I wrote) did wonders to fix all the problems we (Allison) used to have with C4 oils and DEXRON-IIIH transmission fluids. So, whether it's an RV with a 4000 Series or a pickup with a 1000 Series, you should be running TranSynd for the highest possible performance and durability. It really is worth the money.

About Seals Compatibility - TranSynd has never been associated with seal problems in any Allison lab tests or in any Allison field/fleet tests. So, I don't believe leaks are associated with TranSynd. ALso, when GM first came out with DEXRON-VI, Allison found it was incompatible with older Viton type seals. So, Allison does not recommend the use of GM DEXRON-VI ATF except in GM pickups with the Allison 1000 Series transmission. Allison seal materials were later updated to be compatible with DEXRON-VI. GM sold Allison and after that Allison no longer had a seat on the GM ATF Committee (a seat I used to hold). So, Allison ended its association with GM and removed DEXRON-VI from all recommendations.

One more thing. When changing from a DEXRON-IIIH product, always drain and fill twice to ensure maximum TranSynd content. Flushing machines are not typically recommended and usually give the same results as a double drain and fill (per a test we ran at Allison).

* This post was last edited 04/09/11 05:06pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/11 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the average MH that only puts on 3-4k miles a year.

Isn't the Allison 36 month filter change and 48 month fluid change of the TES-295 in a 3060MH transmission a bit of overkill.

If you never saw any sign of oxidation or shear under hard use.
Why not let MH go 60-72 months(up to 25,000 miles) before changing filter/fluid?

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Let Me Know if You Have Allison Transmission Fluid Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.