|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Preventing mice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
db39

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/11 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have discovered that we have a mouse problem recently. I am going to put traps out vs poison based on other articles in these forums. However, after I get rid of them (assuming that works), any ideas how to keep them out?
Thank you.
DB

GaPete

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/11 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been our first winter owning a FW so cant swear by this method but we had no obvious nor tell tale signs of pests in our FW parked on our concrete drive.

I saw the electronic gadgets in WM and decided to try them since the price was reasonable. I did nothing else so will stick with that method for now. I did purchase the 4 pack, put them in the BR/LR/Kitchen and basement and continue to leave them plugged in.

JM2C

trailerbikecamper

eastern Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/11 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What we use is a combination of moth balls and Irish Spring soap.

Around the outside we use spread mothballs. On the inside, by the doors, in the bathroom under the sink we use Irish Spring soap.

A farmer we bought a previous trailer told us this. He kept the TT stored in a grassy field and never had a problem.

We have had a TT for over 10 years and have only had one mouse. That was the year we never used the 2.

It has to be Original Irish Spring. No name brands don't work the same. The bonus is that your TT smells good when you open it in the spring.

Dan

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/11 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laundry softner sheets. Stuff them in all our equipment thats stored over winter and no sign of mice.

rchonly

Kingman, Arizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/11 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm gonna throw this out again, because I've got two years of using it behind me. I had mice and rat problems in my garage, RV's and other vehicles for a several years living in the Arizona desert. Out of frustration I decided to use a product I'd used to help train my dogs not to dig up irrigation and planter beds.

It's called LIQUID FENCE a trademarked all natural product that you spray in the areas you wish to protect. For the past two years every 3 to 4 months I've been applying a light spraying of this stuff across the sliding door area of the garage along with the man door on the side and have not had a mouse or rat in my garage since. My RV and two other vehicles stay outside so I spray a light coating in the engine compartment, a very light spritz of it in the trunk and then the under carriage and again no mice or rat traces have been found. It's a little heady the first couple of days then it disappears and you never smell it again, but the critters obviously do.

A couple of people have laughed at my recommendation, but I have nothing to gain by recommending something that has worked for me.

When we first started using this product I found it online. I found it again recently at Home Depot. It's still not cheap, but I just replenished my first gallon with a new one. Oh yeah, that first gallon lasted me nearly 3 years.

It works for me.

Happy mousing and ratting.

Roger

1991 - 38" American Eagle - 8.3 Cummin's w/Allison 4spd
(Purchased 4-15-10 w/5,600 miles on it)
99 Dodge Durango/SLT 4X4 - Toad

powderman426

N. E. Ohio/The Villages, Fla

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/11 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rchonly Thanks for the tip though I have not yet had problems in the camper, my garage is another matter. You state is isn't cheap, but then how cheap is it to undo the damage these critters can do?? I'll be looking for it the next time I'm at HD.[emoticon]

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/11 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave cheese out away from trailer.

HR

rchonly

Kingman, Arizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/11 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

powderman426 wrote:

rchonly Thanks for the tip though I have not yet had problems in the camper, my garage is another matter. You state is isn't cheap, but then how cheap is it to undo the damage these critters can do?? I'll be looking for it the next time I'm at HD.[emoticon]

The gallon I bought last month was $24.92 + the gov'nr and I found it in the section where they had all the Pest & Bug killers.

I gave up on traps and went with Dicon to get rid of my "little buddies", because they were too smart to get caught in the traps. They tripped 3 of them and never got caught. So the next step was........"The Terminator". I couldn't believe the damage a few of them can do in a short period of time. They're still in the neighborhood, but they are leaving my stuff alone for the moment.

Roger

MackinawMan

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/11 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C-A-T

[emoticon]

Honestly though, we live in a rural "country setting" but have NEVER had a single mouse in our popup, Dutchmen TT, then Cherokee TT, and present Jayco Eagle TT while we owned them and kept them on our property.

We also have had cats (presently 4 who all live outdoors and when the weather dictates, in the garage with 2 litter boxes.

I'm not sure if this is doable for you, but I thought I'd throw this out there with the other suggestions.

BTW, if possible store your TT in as "open" an area as possible. Mice have TERRIBLE eyesight and prefer to walk along "edges" and "walls" and such. We have always kept our TT's basically in the middle areas of our backyard where a mouse would have to walk across a vast open space (at least for them) to even get near it.

2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/11 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have plenty of moth balls soaked with pure peppermint... Sure makes the popup smell good... Several on here says that is what they use...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Preventing mice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.