|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Talk to me about sag

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
TURBODOG1000

INDY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/11 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on all of the above. Great advice! It sounds like you have a handle on it.

Happy Camping!

2002 F350 PSD Crew Cab Long Bed DRW
2016 Highland Ridge RV, Mesa Ridge MR310BHS TT
Back-up camera on the TT with infrared & microphone
Prodigy
ScanGauge II
Reese duel cam hitch, U-bolt style ($40 at a garage sale)
2 canoes, 3 kayaks, & camping dog (Tootsie)

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/11 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MLBinID wrote:

There's one issue. When the trailer is hooked up there's a 2 inch difference in height between the ground and the top of the wheel base on the rear wheels. Is this what is referred to as sag? Is this a safety issue? I'm sure the trailer is putting too much weight on the vehicle's rear suspension, which I know is bad. Any recommendations?
As Rengob stated, "IMO, a 2" drop isn't that bad, but the real question is, what's the front end doing?

The function of a WD hitch is to restore some or all of the load which was removed from the TV's front axle. Recent trailering stability studies conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers and others indicate that the amount of load restored should not exceed 100% of the amount of load removed. IOW, the front of the TV should not be lower after WD is applied than it was when unhitched.

The SAE J2807 towing standard has introduced a new term to the towing community. It is "FALR" which stands for Front Axle Load Restoration. Equal-i-zer and Ford recently have changed their recommendations for adjusting weight distribution hitches. Equal-i-zer now recommends the FALR should be in the range of 75-90%. Ford's recently revised WD adjustment recommendation for trucks indicates the FALR should be approximately 50%.

Details of the new recommendations can be found in this post and in this post.

IMO, you should not attempt to force your front end height to go below the unhitched height. Adding load to the front axle, in excess of the unhitched value, can lead to undesirable oversteer. I would just return the front to the unhitched height or load and not worry about the rear end "sag".

Ron

deere4110

Varies

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/11 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a 2006 Sequoia (and before that a 4Runner). In both cases the rear end sagged when tongue weight is applied (or a bit of weight in the cargo area). It is because the coil springs are set up for a softer ride. I have found the solution in both cases is to add a set of airbags that sit inside the rear coil springs. Both Airlift and Firestone make a product for about $100. It took about an hour or so to install. It helps control sag, as well as maintaining a decent ride. It does not replace a WDH but it certainly helps.

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/11 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deere4110, how do you use the air bags in conjunction with the weight distribution hitch?

How do you know when you have the correct amount of load transfer to the TV's front axle?

Ron

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you get older everything sags! .... OH you mean TV sag. [emoticon]

With my 4Runner and 24' Sunline AND the WD set properly I get about 3/4 inch sag in the rear. IMHO 2 inch sag is way too much.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

You need to either get the correct size spring bars or (more likely) need to properly adjust the WD system you already have.

I agree. I'm towing with a Sequoia and Equalizer hitch, similar size trailer to yours. I have 3/4" drop on the back, maybe 1/4" in the front. Trailer is level.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

---I'm towing with a Sequoia and Equalizer hitch, similar size trailer to yours. I have 3/4" drop on the back, maybe 1/4" in the front. Trailer is level.
Have you checked your Sequoia Owners Manual to see if it has instructions for adjusting a weight distribution hitch? The following is from a Tundra Owners Manual. I don't know if it also pertains to the Sequoia. I believe Toyota recently revised their WD adjustment instructions to reflect new information about towing stability.

From the 2011 Toyota Tundra manual..
"If using a weight distribution hitch when towing, return the front axle to the same weight as before the trailer connection.
If front axle weight cannot be measured directly, measure the front fender height above the front axle before connection.
Adjust weight distribution hitch torque until front fender is returned to the same height as before connection.
Do not reduce front fender height below original measurement.
"

If this specification also applies to the Sequoia, and if your Sequoia does in fact have a 1/4" drop in front, you probably are transferring too much load to the front axle.

Equal-i-zer also now says..
"A setup achieving adequate weight distribution usually brings the trailer back to a position parallel to the ground after coupling it to the tow vehicle and engaging weight distribution. It also brings the FRONT of the tow vehicle back down to just slightly higher than the uncoupled height."

Ron

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Talk to me about sag
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.