Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Does brake lights come on when exhaust break is working?

Posted By: supercub on 04/15/11 08:21pm

On the Safari I use to have, the manual said the brake lights would come on when the exhuast brake was working.
On the 05 Revolution that I just bought, I haven't found anything in the manuals saying if the brake lights come on with the exhaust brake or not........so my question is......does anyone know if they do on a Revolution. Any yes, I know I could have someone follow me and see......but I hoping to find an answer here quicker. Thanks
Brian

Posted By: Twomed on 04/15/11 08:27pm

Zero standardization. Chance is 50/50 [emoticon] [emoticon]

Happy Trails ">
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Posted By: Mike and Trish on 04/15/11 08:36pm

Agree on no standardization. I found out my Jake Brake triggers brake lights when I drove it at night and saw the glow in my rear camera.

Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Blue Ox Aventa LX
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

Posted By: Ivylog on 04/16/11 06:05am

Of the three MH's I've owned two DID NOT turn on the brake lights when using the exhaust brakes. This MH does. Thanks Mdprince for answering the OP's question.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Posted By: knparker on 04/16/11 09:59am

FIRE UP wrote:

All of our fire trucks were equipped with primary and "secondary" braking. That is, the primary brakes were the "service brakes" that were applied with your feet on the pedal. The "secondary braking" was either an exhaust brake, in the form of "Jake Brakes" or what's called a "Telma Retarder". Any form of braking applied the brake lights on our trucks.
Scott

I work in a fleet shop, no motorhomes of course but pretty much everything else. On all of the vehicles we have using auxiliary braking (Jake or retarder) the brake lights do activate when engaged. This is not however a guarantee as it depends on the manufacturer. All of the chassis have this option, it depends more on the body builder as to wether it's utilized or not. It more or less comes down to how the unit was specced.

'05 Bigfoot 30MH24DB
'07 Subaru Forester toad

Posted By: robatthelake on 04/15/11 10:13pm

There is a Diode that may or may not be plugged in to one of Your electrical Panels. Look for a socket that looks like it should contain a standard automotive fuse. It will be labelled Aux Brake or similar!There should also be a Relay in an adjacent socket!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Posted By: FIRE UP on 04/15/11 10:39pm

Gents,
Since I'm very close to purchasing our first D/P, and all I've test drove have had an exhaust brake, I'd assume that if, your applying ANY BRAKE at all, that means your slowing down, which I also would assume the brake lights should come on to warn anyone behind you. If, you were using the exhaust brake and slowing down enough for someone to run into you because you absolutely no indication that you were stopping or slowing, then, what kind of argument would that be in court?

Yes, I know that 99.99999999999% of all rear end accidents are the fault of the following person. But, With the DOT, NHTSA, NTSB and any other government organization that wants to get involved, would mandate brake lights to come on when any brake system is applied.

All of our fire trucks were equipped with primary and "secondary" braking. That is, the primary brakes were the "service brakes" that were applied with your feet on the pedal. The "secondary braking" was either an exhaust brake, in the form of "Jake Brakes" or what's called a "Telma Retarder". Any form of braking applied the brake lights on our trucks.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Posted By: 67Airstreamer on 04/16/11 03:52am

Regarding the legal issue about the need for brake lights coming on when the exhaust brake is activated, would not the same issue apply to the use of gears to slow down as well?

I remember years ago there were lights being offered that one could put in the rear window. They would show green when the accelerator was being applied (low vacuum), amber when coasting and the accelerator was not being applied (high vacuum), and red when the brakes were applied. Now, that tells all.

Posted By: mdprince on 04/16/11 04:09am

On my Rev, yes the brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is on, and or when the brake pedal is pressed.

2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

Posted By: two-niner on 04/17/11 03:49pm

Mike and Trish: Excellent comment, made me go out and make sure I wasn't daydreaming.
Msmith1199 had an excellent comment. In his scenario someone's going to get hurt.
Here's what I found. The brake/back-up/turnsignal is about five and one half feet above the concrete. Stay with me now..about 30 inches above the aforementioned light is a one inch wide and 12 inch long "Jake Brake" light on each side.
And on the curve of rear/roof are the DOT lights. Could be wrong, but I touched them with my hand. Now there's more to it but I'm a simple man.
Forrest Gumps may have had it right....

Posted By: garry1p on 04/17/11 04:58pm

Both answers "mine do and mine don't".

Sounds like you are going to have to find out the hard way and have someone follow you to verify yes they do or no they don't.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Posted By: randallb on 04/16/11 06:11pm

On our 08 Vacationer the 3rd brake LED cluster illuminates when the engine brake is activated. The outside brake lights then come on when the brakes are applied. I figure they did it this way since an LED cluster does not generate the heat of a conventional lamp assembly.
Randy

* This post was edited 04/16/11 06:27pm by randallb *

Posted By: mtrumpet on 04/16/11 07:32pm

My brake lights activate when the Exhaust brake activates on my coach.

Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Posted By: msmith1199 on 04/16/11 09:00pm

FIRE UP wrote:

Gents,
Since I'm very close to purchasing our first D/P, and all I've test drove have had an exhaust brake, I'd assume that if, your applying ANY BRAKE at all, that means your slowing down, which I also would assume the brake lights should come on to warn anyone behind you. If, you were using the exhaust brake and slowing down enough for someone to run into you because you absolutely no indication that you were stopping or slowing, then, what kind of argument would that be in court?

Yes, I know that 99.99999999999% of all rear end accidents are the fault of the following person. But, With the DOT, NHTSA, NTSB and any other government organization that wants to get involved, would mandate brake lights to come on when any brake system is applied.

Scott

My brake lights come on with exhaust brake and here's the problem I have with that. Yes, the exhaust brake does slow you down, but so does taking your foot off the accelerator. When going down a steep grade by exhaust brake may be on all the way down which means my brake lights just stay on all the way down the grade. That's fine if you also don't have to brake while somebody is following you. For example I may be doing a steady 55 coming down the hill with the exhaust brake on and when I come up on a curve (or a slower vehicle) and have to use the real brakes, the people behind me have no warning that I'm going to slow even more.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Posted By: mtrumpet on 04/16/11 09:45pm

msmith1199 wrote:

My brake lights come on with exhaust brake and here's the problem I have with that. Yes, the exhaust brake does slow you down, but so does taking your foot off the accelerator. When going down a steep grade by exhaust brake may be on all the way down which means my brake lights just stay on all the way down the grade. That's fine if you also don't have to brake while somebody is following you. For example I may be doing a steady 55 coming down the hill with the exhaust brake on and when I come up on a curve (or a slower vehicle) and have to use the real brakes, the people behind me have no warning that I'm going to slow even more.

My thoughts as well.

Posted By: polly sue on 04/16/11 12:31pm

On our 07 Monaco-built Safari, the brake lights come on when the exhaust brake's in use.

Posted By: Mike and Trish on 04/16/11 12:45pm

two-niner wrote:

Our 08 Winnebago Tour has a separate set of lights for the "jake brake".

The "jake brake" lights (I think three (3)) are very high up on the rear of the coach. The regular brake lights are at about eye level.

Two-niner

Hmmm ... that would be a new one on me. The three lights at the top are part of your marker lights. As explained to me by the examiner on my Class B license test, vehicles over 7 feet (I think) wide (including dually pickups) have 3 marker lights at the rear top center.

Posted By: chiefneon on 04/16/11 10:08am

Howdy!

Our brake lights do not work when the exhaust brake is activated. We have even had people pull up alongside us advising us that our brake lights were not working. When we stopped to check they worked fine. We use the exhaust brake most of the time even if not towing on our MDT. It saves on brake ware.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

Posted By: FIRE UP on 04/16/11 10:19am

knparker wrote:

FIRE UP wrote:

Scott

I work in a fleet shop, no motorhomes of course but pretty much everything else. On all of the vehicles we have using auxiliary braking (Jake or retarder) the brake lights do activate when engaged. This is not however a guarantee as it depends on the manufacturer. All of the chassis have this option, it depends more on the body builder as to wether it's utilized or not. It more or less comes down to how the unit was specced.

KNparker,
Well Sir, that would most likely be correct for our department too. I was never involved with that part of the details of specking out our rigs. I was involved with "outfitting" them once they arrived and, to somewhat, how the compartments and interior was built from the factory. But, never got into the lighting etc. Thanks for clear answer.
Scott

Posted By: C&J on 04/16/11 10:45am

Our city buses in Portland Maine use to have a two color system--red for the service brakes and yellow when the bus was slowing down because of transmission retarder.

2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

Posted By: two-niner on 04/16/11 10:49am

Our 08 Winnebago Tour has a separate set of lights for the "jake brake".

The "jake brake" lights (I think three (3)) are very high up on the rear of the coach. The regular brake lights are at about eye level.

Two-niner

Posted By: zmotorsports on 04/18/11 07:37am

On our 03 Dynasty they do NOT come on when the Jake brake is applied. Only when the brakes are depressed. Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Posted By: J Walker on 04/18/11 08:19am

Interesting thread. It tells me that there must be no laws governing the brake light coming on when the exhaust or jake brake is applied. I had a problem with my 2000 Freightliner XCS chassis in that my brake light came on when the exhaust switch was on whether the exhaust brake was activated or not (foot off of the accelerator). I found this out one time when I turned on my emergency flashers with the exhaust brake switch on. There was no flashing just a continuous on.
At a Freightliner rally I used their free tech service, and two techs spent half a day going over my my MH and wiring diagram to finally find a cut wire. They fixed it and now the brake lights come on with the exhaust brake only when the brakes active not just when the switch is on. They took my request very seriously because they probably considered my problem to be a safety issue. Wiring problems are a bear and I am glad I didn't have to pay for their work. It would have been at least $1000. They sure won some more loyalty from me.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Posted By: J Walker on 04/18/11 08:23am

J Walker wrote:

Interesting thread. It tells me that there must be no laws governing the brake light coming on when the exhaust or jake brake is applied. I had a problem with my 2000 Freightliner XCS chassis in that my brake light came on when the exhaust switch was on whether the exhaust brake was activated or not (foot off of the accelerator). I found this out one time when I turned on my emergency flashers with the exhaust brake switch on. There was no flashing just a continuous on.
At a Freightliner rally I used their free tech service and two techs spent half a day going over my my MH and wiring diagram to finally find a cut wire. They fixed it and now the brake lights come on with the exhaust brake only when the brakes active not just when the switch is on. They took my request very seriously because they probably considered my problem to be a safety issue. Wiring problems are a bear and I am glad I didn't have to pay for their work. It would have been at least $1000. They sure won some more loyalty from me.

Posted By: Techie on 04/18/11 06:37am

On our rig only the center brake light comes on when the engine brake is working.

2011 Airstream Classic Limited 34'
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison SRW
Follow our adventures

Posted By: two-niner on 04/17/11 06:09pm

garry1p: You are on the money. I followed my DW and Towed down to Tucson. Works as I explained, except RV and towed brake lights do not come on until the RV brake pedal is depressed. I touched my driverway, it's concrete, what? yours is gravel.

Relish the "mine is bigger" that is going on.

Two-niner

Posted By: eheading on 04/17/11 05:20pm

We have had 3 motorhomes; a Monaco, an American Coach, and a Fleetwood coach. On all three motorhomes, the brake lights come on when the exhaust brake is applied.

We currently have an '05 Revolution LE, and its brakelights do come on when the exhaust brake is applied.

Ed Headington
2005 Revolution LE
2004 Tracker toad

Print  |  Close