RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to delaminate the not yet delaminated. A rotten story.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How to delaminate the not yet delaminated. A rotten story.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 6 year old camper shouldn't have this issue but it does. Working on some rot in the DS wing, lower half. My problem is the filon siding. For the record I will NEVER by a camper with filon again. It makes the inevitable repairs much more difficult.

So, as i said, I have some rot to repair in the lower half of the DS wing. I've removed the cap strips (front/bottom and rear) exposing the rot. I've removed the jack. I need to get the whole piece of filon off to expose the problem and make fixes. Problem is, it's not completely delam'd. In fact, there are parts that are still REALLY stuck well.

How, short of pushing a scraper up between the luan and the filon do I do it. Then, once it's all back together, how do I re-lam?? I'm guessing this will be an ongoing thread.

Nik
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD "Outdoorsman"
CC, LB 4x4, SRW, 6-spd Auto, 3.73LSD, Timbrens, TorkLifts and HappiJac QwikLoads

2005 Lance 1010

Member - Cape Lookout Mobile Sportfishermen

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there - done that. I used a wide heavy sharp metal tool and pushed between the fiberglass and luan until it all separated. Floor (hoe) scraper will work if it's not too sharp.

LATEX based FRP cement to glue it.

fredderf

lanc pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the easiest way is to call lance and buy a replacement wing .
sucks , but if it was built right to begin with there wouldn't be that problem .
btw , i'm in the same boat . just waiting on decent weather to replace both my wings .

ford '09 350, 4x4, 5.3, sb, ex cab
'05 lance 845
'go fish....'

xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok. good. Here's another question. The rot runs about halfway up the door to my dump tank levers. above the door is my outside shower. What if I used a cut off wheel and made a cut straight across between the outside shower bottom and the top of the dump door? Seems like a piece of aluminum stip would cover it. That would mean I dont have to disturb the good seals on the upper half of the wing or where the bottom of the shower compartment is.

xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fred - A replacement wing?? What do they look like? How much? Do they come with the filon already on them?

fredderf

lanc pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xp8103 wrote:

Fred - A replacement wing?? What do they look like? How much? Do they come with the filon already on them?

yup replacement wing [emoticon]
basically they are the frame with the back attached . filon needs to be glued on after they are attached . they send the adhesive with the wings .no replacement edge molding just a strip to cover the joint .
the only problem , at least with mine; my camper has filon on both sides of the wing . the 'kit' i got has that cheap blue plastic******on the back side .
what i plan on doing is putting galvanized sheet metal on the back side . in all honesty i don't remember the cost ...

xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What did you use for the trim piece on the face?? How did you separate the filon from the luan?

And are you all using Dicor or something else as the sealer? I've scraped a boatload of that white pliable sealer goo that goes in the end caps before they are put on. What the heck is that stuff? Dicor? Boat Life?

xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also Muddy - What did you use to cut your filon?

MuddyPaws1

A State

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xp8103 wrote:

Ok. good. Here's another question. The rot runs about halfway up the door to my dump tank levers. above the door is my outside shower. What if I used a cut off wheel and made a cut straight across between the outside shower bottom and the top of the dump door? Seems like a piece of aluminum stip would cover it. That would mean I dont have to disturb the good seals on the upper half of the wing or where the bottom of the shower compartment is.

That's what I did. here it is in the process. There are 2 door holes I had to also cut out there.

[image]

On the other side I had to replace it about a foot above the wing all the way down. The trim you see that runs just above the doors is not stock. That is the seam.

[image]

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/11 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you replace the wing , you can leave one molding screw out at the bottom of the wing. That will be the lowest point of the wing and will act as weep hole. The wings usually rot because they hold water acting like a sponge.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How to delaminate the not yet delaminated. A rotten story.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS