RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: The S&S/Red Restore/Update/Repair Thread

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The S&S/Red Restore/Update/Repair Thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next
Sponsored By:
mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/11 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today started the "make it ours" portion of our new to us 1990 S&S 11 SCB. I started by replacing cheap plastic Therford toilet that was in the wetbath with an oval lid porcelain Therford toilet. What a pain that was, not only was it gross under the old unit, but the convertion of the water supply line was a pain to.

Next I tore all the drapes out, along with all the upolstery. Then I vacumed every nook and cranny out, removed all the drawers and vacumed in there too.

The short list of parts so far is;
NEW BATTERY
CO/PROPANE ALARM
REBUILD KITS FOR JACKS
MATERIAL FOR DRAPES
SHOWER CURTAIN
WALL MOUNT BRACKET FOR FLAT SCREEN
NEW RADIO AND SPEAKERS
LOTSA CAULK AND SILICONE

Pics to follow worked till dark.

* This post was edited 01/09/19 05:21pm by mountainkowboy *

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/11 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look forward to seeing the progress photos!

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

TC-less, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups and 2 Northstar Arrows.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/11 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

Pics to follow worked till dark.

Yeah. Sure. You've been promising pics for how long now? I think this whole thing is a fairy tale!!! [emoticon]

Sounds like you like to tinker. For your own sanity and adequate time for camping don't go near that darn Gadgets & Gizmos thread under General RVing!!! [emoticon]

'16 FORD F250 6.2. Air Bags

'16 Arctic Fox 25R. Xantrex 2000 inverter/charger, four Trojan 6 volts, 450 watts solar.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/11 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cleaned and stripped

[image]

The new toilet, the green "stain" is really a repair by the origanal owner. It is fiberglass with no color in it.....I guess it cracked.

[image]

* This post was edited 05/29/11 01:03am by an administrator/moderator *

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/11 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, it DOES exist!!! [emoticon]

Sure looks big in there without all the stuff!!!

You're gonna have a great time in that rig!!! [emoticon]

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/11 03:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are at it, you can make the interior paneling look great. I used Scratch magic to hide scratches on the wood in my camper and waxed everything with Lemon Pledge. They make special paints for fiberglass so you can hide the green stain. After you finish your interior, Wax the exterior with a good wax, I'll make your camper look like new! I do that to my 1988 Lance once a year and people are always telling me it can't be that old. Congratulations on your new camper!

Bob in Oakland, Calif.

* This post was last edited 04/25/11 03:50am by spacedoutbob *   View edit history

Good Sam Club Life Member

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/11 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got most of the electrical done. Installed the round 7 in the bed, ran the lights wiring to the rear and got that wired, and removed some old wiring that was not used anymore. Ran 10ga. to the front for 12v and ground so it will keep the battery topped up while driving. I just need to put a circuit breaker between the battery and camper to stop any mishaps.

I noticed that the birds have been using the truck for bombing practice, so I washed it, and then noticed that winter has not been good to the paint. So I got the buffer out and some swirl and scratch remover.....well the hood looks pretty good now but the bird******marks are still there. Guess I need to use something stronger to get rid of them. Now that the hood looks so good I have to do the rest of the truck.....

Will try to get to fixing 2 of the worse leaking jacks tomorrow, and see if I can find some wood around the barn to make a camper stand. I really need to get it off the crew-cab and put that thing up for sale.

Finally took the TC off the brown truck today and set it on some braces. I also went down to the local Home Depot and picked up the stuff for my spacer/flooring brace for "off truck" camping. The bottom is in really good shape and now that its close to the ground and I can start the window removal and repair part. I didnt find any soft spots around any of the front windows or on the sides of the bedroom. I did find a spot on the front that I will have to take apart and see if there is any real damage. It looks like the corner was clipped while unloading at one time in its life. I also need to remount the water heater, it isnt supported by anything in the back and its full weight is on the small screws that it was mounted with and has pulled the screws out. So I need to pull it out and reinforce the area around the W/H and remount it flush like its designed and add a shim under it so it wont do it again. Now that everything is preped for restore mode, next the front windows will come out to be resealed and the comes the roof.

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 05/29/11 01:03am by an administrator/moderator *

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/11 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it's been awhile since I've updated the thread....so here we go.

I removed the waffer-wood bulkhead and repaired the structural issue.

[image]

Made a new bulkhead out of marine plywood and built and installed the support/spacer for the bottom to support the bottom for off-truck camping and have enough clearance for the cab lights on the truck.

[image]

Next was the rsealing of the front bubble windows. Found a small surprise after I removed them.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Spent the day chasing rot today and now have my list of parts needed to repair/update the nose. I will close off the bubble windows from the inside since they are thin plastic and offer NO insulation in the bedroom. If its hot the unit is hot, if its cold the unit is cold, because the windows are only 1/8" thick. I will use them to keep the S&S look, but they will just be for show. Which brings me to the units present condition.

[image]

* This post was edited 10/16/18 06:49am by an administrator/moderator *

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/11 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, I thought that I had a project with my old 1966 Avion!!
Keep up the great work!!
Garry in Alaska

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that's a nice view out the front!

Keep updating when you get a chance. I am enjoying the pics. Loved our old S&S but it is long gone now. It's neat driving around Monatana as you see some seriously old S&S's around.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The S&S/Red Restore/Update/Repair Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS