RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Generac impact Lp Gen.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generac impact Lp Gen.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tommykelly

covington, georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/11 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this subject has been thrashed over the years.

I do want to share the fact that from day one at the dealer it has had long start times.
the dealer said that was "normal".

i had read that someone had ordered the Garrettson regulator from US Carb in W. VA.
with the adjustment and prime button on back.

After having the starts get longer and longer I ordered one ( 49.95) and 3 days later it arrived.

It has the adjustment on the front and the push button primer on the back.

the pipe fitting takes a lot of muscle and big wrenches and a vise to get the pipe off on the input side.

But the results was hooking the plumbing ..turn on the gas at the bottle.

No need to hit the prime button or touch the adjustment..It fired up after 10 seconds.

Did not purge line..I was very surprised!

And started quicker with short cranks and release start button..3rd time it starts.

It starts as quick as my 3 brothers and 1 brother in law's gas Onan gens.

I have 275 hours on mine and hope to get many more hours.

I have had a bumpy road with Generac in the past ..glad to report something positive.

Hope this helps someone...

I understand the Onan microlite now used on newer Lances uses the same Garrettson regulator
but I have never seen one

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/11 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember talking about that regulator a few years back in this thread when I was having trouble starting mine. I bought one of those regulators with the prime button to replace my old regulator when I discovered it was taking an extreme amount of vacuum to open it.

The regulator looks like this:

[image]

One of the best $50 I've ever spent.

Calling this a regulator implies that it's purpose is to regulate the LP pressure. That isn't true. The Garretson KN regulator's purpose is to only allow the LP vapor to be fed to the engine when it senses vacuum in the intake manifold. In other words, the engine has to be cranking before it will open. It's either on, or it's off, so it's really more of a valve.

Having the prime button is a good thing because it give you the ability to manually push the valve off its seat prior to cranking the engine. One of the most common problems these regulators have is the valve sticking to it's seat after sitting unused for awhile. And of course, there are also times when being able to really prime the engine is helpful to getting it started. While the "PRIME" switch on this generator does open the fuel solenoid, this only allows the LP to flow up to the KN regulator. Since the engine isn't cranking and there's no manifold vacuum, the regulator is closed. By pushing the manual prime button on the new KN regulator while holding down the "PRIME" switch, you can give the engine a few short bursts of LP if it needs priming.

It's made starting my generator much easier.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/23/11 07:12pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

tommykelly

covington, georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/11 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with everything you said..

when I bought my lance I really did not want to know the theory of operation.

I was forced to..

I would think the prime button would be used in very cold weather at high altitude.

it is sure nice knowing it is there if ever needed.

how many hours are on your impact? I have 276

retorqued the head and adjusted the valves...it was needed after 30 or so hours on mine.

I use a WIX #51396 oil filter

fast.5

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/11 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi: I have the same genny, where did you get that part, as my genny is very regular at starting 3 days after pushing the start switch, my onan was much faster and this has bugged me since I got the Generac.
Thanks
Mike

2004 FORD F350 Supercrew 4x4 V10 Airlift incab controls 42" titan extension.
2007 LANCE 1131 Loaded, Air,Dicor,all weather packages Awning&Slide awning,2500lp Onan camp power,back up camera,dish
Fast.5 Reno Page http://community.webshots.com/user/fast5

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/11 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can order it from US Carburetion in West Virginia. Here's a link to their web page that has the 039-122 KN Regulator you need. Their web site is not easy to navigate on, and it took me a while to locate this, so you might want to just call them to order it.

[emoticon][emoticon]

tommykelly

covington, georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/11 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US Carb is great...quick turnaround

I also called, My Macbook gave me a not secure notice..so I got scared ..very nice lady
answered the phone.

I have two questions... I know Sleepy has an impressive number of hours on his genset
I was wondering how many hours does everyone have on their impact's.

the second question after looking at the fact that the impact is a discontinued model

has anyone retrofitted the Onan camp power lp on Lance campers that had previously
had a generac and how difficult of a job was it...I know the inverter can be deleted on the Onan..

thanks for the info.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/11 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only have about 100 hours on mine. We've never used it for long, continuous periods of time. I'll run the air conditioner off the gen for short periods during the day, but I could never sleep with it running. It's just too loud for me.

I have a Yamaha 1000 for battery charging, and AC needs except for microwave and air conditioning.

[emoticon][emoticon]

tommykelly

covington, georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/11 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to Talledega race last weekend.

it was cool most of the time and they have free dry camping..so my brothers and I stayed for almost 4 days.

I ran the Gen for about 20 hours during the daytime to re-charge the battery.

That is when i started to take another look at the Gen.

Yamaha and Honda's are appreciated late at night because I could not hear them at 100 a.m.

and they are reliable too..

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/11 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The impact Generator has been good to me but at times after long non use the same problem comes up. I have learned to turn on the gas and light the stove for a couple of minutes to sort of purge the gas lines then after priming and a couple of short crank cycles the Generator starts and after about 30 seconds applies power to the electrical system.

tommykelly

covington, georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/11 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

88lover and NRAlifR that posted back in 2009 really helped me out on the regulator.

thanks, I have discovered that short 3 or 4 starts on the starter makes mine come to life now
..should make the starter last much longer

I think Sleepy a while back said he had over 400 hours on his...do you have more?
I would like to know the life expectancy under normal conditions following maint. schedule
I do know if I ever go to Las Vegas I will go to Johnny walker (easy to remember) and let them check my gen.. that is the only dealer that I have read about that really knows the Generac.

Besides the regulator, two problems, one a loose wire going to the ignition module that I had to find.
the other was the inverter got too hot in the rear compartment ( I have the 1161.)
I removed the drawer bottom and opened the door to the cabinet , it remained cool enough not to shutdown the gen....even though the fan runs...it was just too hot on that summer day I guess.

In the past I have had r.v. dealers get hostile when I asked if they work on them

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generac impact Lp Gen.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS