|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck ? for possible 5th wheel trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/11 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the guys that have owned and towed 5ers for some years now can you give me the best pro's and con's to a single rear axle truck to a dually?? The wife and I are thinking of going to a 5er in the future but will need a bigger truck first. We just wanna make sure we get the right truck. We will be traveling mostly within 12 hours from home. Thanks everyone

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

msjdbman

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/11 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on how big/how heavy of a 5er you want. A SRW 2500 or 3500 can handle most 5ers up to a GVW of 12-14k and handle the pin weight, depending on individual combinations and capacities. Beyond that, you start pushing the territory of DRW trucks. Also, more tires on the ground means more stability. Good luck!

2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/11 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO it would be best if you and your wife can find a 5vr that you both like. Then you can use the GVWR and (dry) pin weight (considering that "wet" pin would be quite a bit higher) to find a truck that will handle those weights without exceeded truck capacity.

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/11 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya most 5er we have looked at that fit us has ship weight around 8000 cargo cap of 2000 and hitch weights of 1400ish WE arent looking for a 35ft er something around 28'. We really like the keystone sydney 275FBH floor plan.

jim87vette

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/11 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

librty02 wrote:

Ya most 5er we have looked at that fit us has ship weight around 8000 cargo cap of 2000 and hitch weights of 1400ish WE arent looking for a 35ft er something around 28'. We really like the keystone sydney 275FBH floor plan.

If this is what your getting,no need for a dually SRW will do just fine.

08 GMC 3500 Dually Duramax
96 Chevy 2500 6.5
05 Yamaha Rhino
04 Gearbox 335FS 5er 14k wet

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/11 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a general rule of thumb you can use the following guidelines.
Anybodies 3/4 ton truck = Fifth wheel up to about 10K GVWR
Anybodies 1 ton SRW = Fifth wheel up to about 12K GVWR
Anybodies dually = Fifth wheels over 12K and under about 15K GVWR
Over 15K GVWR Fivers you really need to think much larger trucks.
While there will be many who claim that a 3/4 ton will pull any fiver you want, in truth if you want to stay within the manufacturer specs keep to the above chart and you will be OK. While there are no laws forbidding towing overloaded it is not comfortable or relaxing to do so. So I would suggest that you find a fifth wheel that YOU like and with the trailers GVWR in hand go truck shopping for the truck that will handle the intended load and stay within the manufacturers specs. That way there will be no surprises when you get it hitched up and finally across a set of scales.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/11 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnrbd wrote:

IMHO it would be best if you and your wife can find a 5vr that you both like. Then you can use the GVWR and (dry) pin weight (considering that "wet" pin would be quite a bit higher) to find a truck that will handle those weights without exceeded truck capacity.

Agree. May seem strange, but this is one of those occasions where putting the "cart" before the "horse" isn't a bad thing. We narrowed our search to the make/model trailer we wanted,considered the weight issues (bought used) and found a truck up to the task (also used). Good luck and have fun in your search. [emoticon]

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/11 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

librty02 wrote:

Next step is to start looking for a truck. Go to the truck dealers and get the specs for the trucks. Pick the model that will handle the trailer based on the 5er towing capacity and the payload capacity.

HR

YnotTurbo

Mechanicsville, MD.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/11 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you even think for a minute that you might want a larger fiver in the future, get the 3500 dually. Cost cheaper than the 3500 single rear wheel. Also, you will not even have to worry about the weight of the smaller fiver. Dual wheels has always been my way to tow. I like the stability and how well it works with the Firestone airbags. Of course, we are towing a large fiver, I had a dually for all my fivers from 12K to my current 17K.

Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

sailor53

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/11 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a one ton SRW truck with tires that will handle the load. Some of them have tire/wheel combinations that may look good, but they don't do the job. Check the data plate for axle weight limits along with the GCWR of the truck. The owners manual will tell you the allowable 5th wheel towing capacity.

Some will tell you that a dually is more stable, but I think it is more a case of being within all limits with the load distributed properly. We have a SRW F-350 that tows our rig just fine for the last 20,000 miles with no stability problems and we are at the limits with just about all parameters. JMHO

DW Barbara for 15 yrs
08 Ford F350 Lariat, PSD 6.4L, Ext Cab, 4X4, Line-X, DrawTite Signature 18K hitch, RDS 40 gal. Tank/Tool Box Combo, Mor/ryde RS suspension, Garmin Nuvi 465T GPS
09 Montana 3000RK, Mor/Ryde suspension/pinbox, Spendide 2100XC W/D ">

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Truck ? for possible 5th wheel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS