RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico closing down.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico closing down.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Desertdog1

ALAMOGORDO, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/11 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to drought conditions and numerous fires in the area the Lincoln National Forest in southern New Mexico will close down on May 12, 2011. Details are located HERE. Full details on fires currently burning in New Mexico are located here. http://nmfireinfo.wordpress.com/category/nm-fire-info/

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/11 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad they decided to just shut the whole thing down. Would have been chaos to close some parts and not others. The whole place is a tinder box.......

For that matter the whole dang state/region is.....whoosh! Hope all's well with the folks up in Mayhill.

Where you at in Alamogordo? Live here? We're at Boot Hill RV for now.

Desertdog1

ALAMOGORDO, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/11 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live just south of town on 3 acres. We really enjoy the National Forest campsites just outside Cloudcroft, especially when it gets hot down here. Served on jury duty with the lady that owns Rio Penasco RV park just south of Mayhill. Nice park, fire should already be east of there. We went to a retirement function last weekend in Carlsbad, saw 5 or 6 fires between Mayhill and Artesia. One on White Sands Missile Range in the Organ Mountains has been burning since April 21st.

How is Boot Hill? They've had lots of business since they opened, it'll be nice when they get some trees and stuff growing.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/11 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to Close 12 May

When we first drove through Lincoln Nat'l Forest in 1971 from Alamo to Artesia, it was closed. I believe it was in late May or in June. We moved to Cruces in August...it was still dry then.

Organ Mountain Closures near Las Cruces, NM
Soledad Canyon Trail and Aguirre Spring Campground are CLOSED to the public due to the Abrams Fire. Dripping Springs Natural Area and Bar Canyon Trail (Soledad Canyon area) are now open. Fire in Organs

It will be a long hot summer if we don't get some rain. Wind has been blowing today and seems to be increasing tonight. Not good for fire conditions. It may blow in some cooler temps, hope that will help. Need rain.

There was a cougar in down town El Paso today....lack of water and food must have driven it down from the mountain.

Last July, while camping in Cloudcroft area, it was wet and chilly....hope it comes back soon.
[image]
Silver Campground ~ July 2010.

* This post was edited 05/10/11 09:48pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The owners at Boot Hill are trying real hard....have some 5'-6' trees planted at some sites....but it is the desert....hehehe.

We first came here 3 1/2 yrs. ago (shortly after first opening). Became good friends with the owners...have been back every winter. I help James out doing different 'projects'....gives me a chance to keep my 'handyman' skills intact.

Over the past we have built the planter out front (with the upside down cowboy), the concession stand, improvements to pavilion, railings around sites and this time we did some on site cabins.

They have music/bands once a month during spring/fall....come on out this Saturday night 7-9 pm for some blue grass....$10.

We like the area.....currently looking at some property for a 'winter' home site about 3 miles north west of Boot Hill....5 acres. Have an offer in....waiting to see what happens.

nina_70

On wheels, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darn shame for camping, but makes complete sense given the situation. We're on our 4th week in New Mexico and it's been VERY dry. When we stayed in Gila Forest just ~a week ago there were 3 wildfires burning in the area. I was actually suprised that they were still allowing fires in the fire-pits there.

12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

Georgew48

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desertdog1 wrote:

We live just south of town on 3 acres. We really enjoy the National Forest campsites just outside Cloudcroft, especially when it gets hot down here. Served on jury duty with the lady that owns Rio Penasco RV park just south of Mayhill. Nice park, fire should already be east of there. We went to a retirement function last weekend in Carlsbad, saw 5 or 6 fires between Mayhill and Artesia. One on White Sands Missile Range in the Organ Mountains has been burning since April 21st.

How is Boot Hill? They've had lots of business since they opened, it'll be nice when they get some trees and stuff growing.

What a shame they have to close it. I grew up in Alamo and graduated from Alamo high in 66 (go Tigers). I wish we could send you some of our Ohio rain. We got another 5 inches last night. Leaving for Texas in a few hours after the wife gets off work.

2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Lincoln National Forest, New Mexico closing down.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.