RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 429  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garryk6

Central WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where does everyone get their rivets from. I need to replace the door for the propane and patch a piece and want to use a similar type rivet. Thanks in advance! Garry

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

BlackFlagForge

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://bylerrivet.com/ call them up and explain what you're after. They're great and are used to providing rivets for airstream.

[image]

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary, I ultimately bought my rivets from Hanson Rivets in California. Good selection and fast service. The Olympic rivets with the shaveable heads came from that aircraft parts outfit in Kansas, whose name completely escapes me just now and I’m not home to look it up. VTS in New England has a complete Olympic rivet department, including the tools, and they’re easy to do business with.
What are you doing to your rig these days?

BlackFlagForge

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rivets I listed are solid aluminum that require an impact gun and proper head shaped tool. It's what were used on these units but sized 5/32 to fill in the worn 1/8 holes.

flyte63

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a bag of Olympic rivets that I think just came from Amazon. I’ve been using a Dremel to shave the heads which has worked ok for a small number to do them by hand. If you go with Olympic rivets don’t get the ones with the rubber washer, I read online that the rubber fails after 5 years so then they leak.

http://flyte63.blogspot.com

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garry, the place I bought Olympic rivets as well as aluminum sheet is Airparts in Kansas. Very nice folks to do business with. https://www.airpartsinc.com/

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary , I used 5/32” Olympic rivets on my extensive front end repair . I also used them on my Airstream over 20 years ago and they have held up fine . I opted for the drills and rivets remover and the shaver because there where many to do . If you only have a few a dremel will do . On the doors I chose to use alum screws so they would be removable , another alternative . Dab a little caulk on the screws or rivets before installing . Vintage Trailer Supply has small quantities and tools if you need them .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the removal tool from Aircraft Tool Supply Company better as it has a knurled end to prevent the rivet from spinning if it’s loose .

roamlab

Always Moving

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Garry!

Do you have access to both sides? The Olympic rivets are a reasonable solution if you need a blind rivet but buck rivets would be best if possible. We source both at VTS but the key wherever you source it is having matching brazier head rivet and set to reproduce the original look.

ROAM LAB
Digital nomads on a perpetual road trip
1970 Avion C11 truck camper (renovation In progress)

garryk6

Central WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont have access to the back side for these rivets.
Thanks for all the replies!!
I will let you know what I get and how it works out!

As a side note, when we moved back to the "Lower-48" we got our 2001 Nomad 308 travel trailer out and lived in it for a few months till we found a house to buy. But with all our kids leaving to grow up, we are looking to downsize, and we love classic rigs and yesterday went to go look at a fixer Travel Trailer. We still need room for my mother-in-law that travels with us, some of the time and we love the camper, but would like to do some longer trips in the future with a bit more room. So Yesterday we took a long drive to look at two 60's Boles Aero Travel trailers. The first was a 69 23 ft box, listed as a 27 ft that was gutted and in need of everything. Next we looked at a 62 25ft box listed as a 28 ft trailer all original but with water damage to the interior. The Boles Aero is constructed similar to the Airstreams and Avions with the all aluminum frame and skin with a steel chassis. We will make the decision later today if we bite the bullet. It is a bit more than I paid for the Avion C10, but not alot more, but is alot more work to resurrect to a useable state. Any one every have or know of Boles Aero trailers?
Thanks again!
Garry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 429  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.