RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 429  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
flyte63

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you do it - Boles Aero? I’ve seen a few at TCT rally’s in NY State, but I think more common at vintage events on the west coast. I believe they are well built and were considered a premium trailer, as was Avion.

http://flyte63.blogspot.com

garryk6

Central WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup. Bought a 1963 Boles Aero 280-H double door trailer. 25 ft box and 28 ft overall bumper to tongue. Steel chassis with all aluminum skeleton and riveted aluminum skin. I’ll try to post some pics. Got home and the next two days have been snow!
Thanks again! Garry

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

flyte63

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s been pretty quiet on this thread during winter hibernation, but we have been making steady progress on our Avion. Electric, water, and drain lines are now pretty much done including new custom fabricated Black and Grey tanks. North/South bed conversion is built, and now my wife is staining and varnishing the new parts. New cab-over mattress and dinette foam purchased, along with fabric for upholstery covers so there’s a lot of sewing coming soon. Propane lines almost done and just I bought a Wave 3 heater that I plan to mount to the inside of a cabinet door similar to 67avion’s. I struggle with posting photos on this forum, but photos and more detail are posted on my blog at the link below. flyte63 blog

Anyone else making any progress?

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyte63, I’m glad to hear that you’re pushing on with your rebuild. It can be a long slow process and demands determination.
Regarding your heater, let me give you my 2 cents. I agonized about heating in Argo. Even though I live in sunny California, I like being out year around. So first I bought a used Dickson Newport stainless propane heater with a window in it so I could see the flame, thinking that would please my wife. All stainless and a sealed combustion chamber, so no CO in the camper. Very elegant. But when it came time to consider the install, I had rearranged the floor plan and the heater didn’t fit the new plan.
Web research led me to Propex heaters as used in VW vans. Forced air, controlled by a wall mounted thermostat, sealed combustion using outside air and exhaust. I bought the HS2000 and mounted it in the bottom of the closet and vented everything thru the floor. It has a single heater register which blows warm air forward from the back of the camper, at floor level by the door.
I have been exceptionally pleased with this heater. Quiet, very low electric and propane consumption. And keeps everything toasty inside. I have set the thermostat to low 60s when it’s been 20s outside and been comfy all night asleep. It’s just like a home furnace system in it’s operation. Fills Argo with warm air and keeps him warm.
Zero maintenance thus far. A really fine solution to heating a potentially very chilly vehicle!

garryk6

Central WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started with a Wave3 and still have it but below 30F it can’t keep up. Later we added a forced air furnace (12,000 BTU I think) made for smaller RVs. Installed in the bottom of the closet above the metal propane tank area. We have camped in -10F and the camper was 70+F. Goes through a lot more propane when camping in that cold but it is nice to have dry heat that is vented outside.

Question..
Does anyone have a roof mounted AC in an alternate location than the front or rear vent location. And in the C10 where is the 110V power dead end in the ceiling from the breaker panel? We are headed to TX thus summer and our Alaska acclimated family wants AC.

Thanks again!
Garry

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D , that propex is appealing . I wish they made a larger version . I don’t think 7000btu would be enough for sustained cold temps . I’m still using the original wall furnace in mine , plenty heat ( 12000btu ) , low amps with the fan ( 1.0 a ) but poor heat distribution . From table top up is warm , floor is cool . I’m working on some ceiling fans . No idea on its efficiency compared to others .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ticki2, they do make bigger furnaces. And here’s a link to a couple who live in a van full time and who have thought thru all aspects of their vehicle and lifestyle very carefully: https://faroutride.com/webasto-vs-propex/
I have really been impressed by the Propex performance in Argo. Toasty all around the rig. I also have a flexible heater duct hose that came with the furnace kit, about three feet long that I can slip over the outlet of the heater and direct hot air to wherever I need it, notably into the bathroom to warm things up before a shower...

flyte63

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the Propex heaters and I think the best option if we were planning to do winter camping, but for now just looking to extend late summer into fall. We also considered the Dickson Newport which is very cool and seems like a safe option for wood-stove like ambience, but we also were not sure about how and where to best install it.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the Propex web site and did not see any larger sizes.

D1trout

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ticki2, here’s the link to the nearly 10,000 BTU heater: https://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/hs2800-furnace/
The model I have in Argo is the HS2000. It has proven to be plenty for such a small space.
Installation and operation very straightforward.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 429  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.