RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 431  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
oneofakind

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/13 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a Model T-21 Avion Travel Trailer that had been modified and put onto a 1970 Ford Econoline Van Custom 300. Whoever did that also painted it - all of it. Now decades later the paint just looks shabby. Anyone got any idea how to remove the paint without damaging the - what I think is - anodized aluminum underneath?

gfemling

South Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/13 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gfemling wrote:

69 Avion wrote:

Fortunately all of mine were able to be cleaned up. I ran some Breakfree in them and worked them for a while until the 45 years of gunk came out and then I cleaned the outside and painted them. I really think that you need that bearing in order to reduce friction. I would have suggested calling Cayo, but they claim that these jacks never came on our campers. My next guess is to take a bearing down to one of the large bearing companies and see if they can match it. I'll bet that they are still available, you just need a make and number. I didn't see any numbers on mine. I looked for numbers just in case I needed new ones. Let us know what you find out.

I was able to read the bearing make & model off the original and did try to have both NAPA and a major bearing supplier cross the numbers but no good. (I don't remember what the make/ numbers were right now and on-the-road so can't refer to my notes) Anyway, yes the drag gets pretty large when my stacked thrust washer assembly gets dry so agree that having good roller thrust bearing is important-- now just need to find where to obtain-- anyone out there have some ideas??

OK back home and dug up the numbers on the original thrust bearings-- NICE 7299 USA (assume they were from a domestic manufacturer-- NICE?; that the "USA" isn't part of part number also as it is on opposite diameter from other part number). The bearing appears to be a sealed roller thrust type with ID measured at 1.013" (1" nominal), OD measured at 1.570" (1 9/16" nominal), and thickness measured at 0.300" (5/16" nominal). Appears from examination that all of these dimensions are critical-- ID to fit over threaded shaft without excessive clearance; OD to allow crank handle spur gear clearance-- any larger OD and side gear won't slide onto the side shaft enough to mate with other spur gear on the threaded main lift shaft; thickness critical to allow proper engagement of two mating spur gears.
Anyone have any ideas; searched the suggested VXB.com without success.

69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/13 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone done anything with their Avion lately?

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/13 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oneofakind wrote:

we have a Model T-21 Avion Travel Trailer that had been modified and put onto a 1970 Ford Econoline Van Custom 300. Whoever did that also painted it - all of it. Now decades later the paint just looks shabby. Anyone got any idea how to remove the paint without damaging the - what I think is - anodized aluminum underneath?

Klean-strip makes a spray product called Peeler used for removing clear coat and base coat on auto finishes . I've used it to clean anodized aluminum and works well . Any auto supply that carries paint should have it .

How about a picture of your Avion on the Econoline ?

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/13 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

69 Avion wrote:

Has anyone done anything with their Avion lately?

Just got back from a rainy week in the Adirondacks ( no leaks and all systems go ). No trip report , went to help a buddy with his camp .

Dodgeavion

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/13 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried calling Nice Bearings to see if they have any?

Dodgeavion

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/13 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here: http://www.rbcbearings.com/ballbearings/index.htm

rfuerst911sc

Marietta Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/13 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK guys and gals I'm going to start the restoration of my 68 C11 where to start ? I have cleared a large spot in the basement to hold the interior as I remove it. Most of the wood cabinets I will be keeping. So do I just start at the back and keep removing interior pieces until they are all removed ? I know I have a soft spot on the floor at the door and a piece where the passenger side factory lift jack has " crumpled " the aluminum skin. I plan a complete restoration of everything inside the camper. Will probably keep the stove/oven and will probaly try to fix the refrigerator but other than those two items everything else may be replaced. I will document with pics just so I can get it back together and also will be adding ( somewhere ) a gray water tank. Plus solar on the roof " if " I can install panels that will fit the roof real estate. Any tips on how to get started are appreciated.

gfemling

South Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dodgeavion wrote:

Here: http://www.rbcbearings.com/ballbearings/index.htm

Thanks for the suggestion-- I was not aware they were still doing business as my search for NICE bearings hadn't revealed the RBC website. Actually that is all the good news-- the bad news is that they confirmed that the 7299 bearing was a special application that is no longer available and could only suggest one of their "600 series". The closest one in that series uses a 1/4" balls (while it appears the 7299 bearing used an 1/8" (or maybe a 1/16") ball set). Thus the closest one (# 610 1/4 V) has a slightly larger OD (1-3/4" vs 1-9/16") and a larger thickness (5/8" vs 5/16"). Both of these would cause problems with the miter gears meshing and doesn't appear to be a good way to modify the original gears to make these available thrust bearings work [emoticon]. So for now the only option is to continue with the greased bearing washers and re-grease frequently. I have pondered replacing the miter gears with slightly larger ones to accommodate the larger bearing size but appears not to be an easy fix. Any one with more "miter gear knowledge" out there with suggestions??

69cayo

new port richey,florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rfuerst911sc wrote:

OK guys and gals I'm going to start the restoration of my 68 C11 where to start ? I have cleared a large spot in the basement to hold the interior as I remove it. Most of the wood cabinets I will be keeping. So do I just start at the back and keep removing interior pieces until they are all removed ? I know I have a soft spot on the floor at the door and a piece where the passenger side factory lift jack has " crumpled " the aluminum skin. I plan a complete restoration of everything inside the camper. Will probably keep the stove/oven and will probaly try to fix the refrigerator but other than those two items everything else may be replaced. I will document with pics just so I can get it back together and also will be adding ( somewhere ) a gray water tank. Plus solar on the roof " if " I can install panels that will fit the roof real estate. Any tips on how to get started are appreciated.

I would start with the overhead cabinets then the base kitchen cabinets then move onto the bathroom partition and fixtures.
This will leave you more room to maneuver the closet partition around once you remove the fridg.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.

Dennis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 431  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.