RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 431  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/13 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like you are enjoying some great weather. Enjoy it because in AZ it isn't so nice right now.

Not too far NW of Phoenix, 18 firefighters just lost their lives today fighting a fire in this extremely hot weather. I pray for their families and for those who were injured.

I can't wait to get out of this miserable heat.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary, it looks like you're living large in Kodiak. And it was close to the longest day of the year so the kids probably played til they dropped.

Marietta, Georgia, restoration: My experience was that I removed things in order to figure out where the problems were located. It's imperative, as I'm sure that you know, that everything must be thoroughly documented and labeled.....cause you won't get back to them for a long time. And memory fades.

The overhead cabinets are a good fit, in my opinion, for the space. Moreover, they should be relatively easy to repair. Take them out first and set them aside would be my advice.

Its the bed/kitchen/cabinets that you have to pay attention to...especially what lies beneath them. If you have damage, more than likely it will be in the wings that support them and in the floor in the back of the coach.

A lot will be revealed including wiring and gas lines. And here is where I've had my biggest problems: electrical issues. I rewired, but I also added outlets, batteries, inverters, future proofed for solar, etc. The net result is that I have a labyrinth of wiring that is difficult to sort out.

Once you've found and fixed all of the spots where rot has appeared (assuming you have those), then its a careful configuration of the wiring and gas lines...electrical switches et al.

The rest of the interior work is just like a house - well not exactly since you have to allow for vibration and movement - but for the most part you will be using materials and techniques that are used for restoring old houses.

For instance, the cabinets should be carefully sanded and then varnished a number of times with sanding in between coats.

The interior of the coach, if everything has been removed, should be repainted. I used OEM Zolatone paints, but there are other options of course.

Much to do. But, I take you at your word that you have the patience. My estimate on time is around a year to a year and a half. Then there are the remarkable projects like 69Avion that break that pattern and get it done quick.

Best of luck. This thread has all of these issues dealt with, I believe. But keep asking and we'll keep responding.

rfuerst911sc

Marietta Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion great response thanks. In my mind I have already set a time table of at least one year for the restoration. I just completed a restoration of a Boston Whaler boat that took a year so I know these things take time.

My Blue Heaven

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D, we haven't seen any pictures of your old C-10 lately; how's it coming?

2001 F350 Lariat CC 4WD 7.3 PSD dually, chipped, 4" SS exhaust, 350 hp, Rancho 9000's, front receiver, front & rear Roadmasters
2009 Arctic Fox 990S, storm windows, Cummins/Onan, FastGuns, Torklifts

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/13 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stand by for the final roll out Soon. Soon. Soon. Heh. I'll take some photos this week or next and post them here.

69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone heard from Avion C-11 lately? He was doing such an awesome job, I wonder how it is coming along.

garryk6

Central WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion wrote:

Gary, it looks like you're living large in Kodiak. And it was close to the longest day of the year so the kids probably played til they dropped.
Best of luck. This thread has all of these issues dealt with, I believe. But keep asking and we'll keep responding.

Thanks "D",
The kids did no fact have a great day! And the Adults too! We actually got sunburned, which is usually not a problem in Kodiak, AK... We either "Rust" or get "mossy" but hardly ever "burn" ;-)

As for those restoring your Avions, be happy to have your original cabinetry to work with! If you have ever had to create matching curves for framing and plywood from scratch, you know it is a labor of love.... I was fortunate to at least have the two upper cabinets. But everything else I have had to build from scratch, and as my wife says... I am good at lots of things, but a finish carpenter/cabinet-maker I am not... So for now, our Avion is "FUNCTIONAL" not pretty... One thing I found out while getting ready for this last weekend, after filling up my water tank, I had no water pump... Checked switch, wiring everything, and have 12V to the pump. Just no hum or anything from the motor. Unfortunately, I screwed the pump the side wall before I mounted the 40 gallon tank, then built cabinets around the tank... So I am using a stubby phillips with my good left had to remove the 4 screws... Taking entirely too long, but with my right had still lacking feeling from my table-saw incident 2 years ago, working here on the Avion... I am blessed to still have a hand, and one that works pretty good for most things. I know I'll get the pump out eventually. The good news is that the Kitchen sink is the only thing that needs the pump, and we can still get water, by using the outside drain valve I installed right next to the door to the camper by gravity!
Well thats all for now, except that we LOVE our Engle 12V Fridge/freezer. We had sodas that were frosty! even though the weather was in the low 70's and the camper was even warmer!

Garry in Kodiak

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

rfuerst911sc

Marietta Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/13 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone know if there is a " size " for the clutch head screws ? I want to purchase some clutch head screwdrivers to remove the screws but am unsure what to order/purchase. All screws will be replaced with more conventional head screws.

69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rfuerst911sc wrote:

Anyone know if there is a " size " for the clutch head screws ? I want to purchase some clutch head screwdrivers to remove the screws but am unsure what to order/purchase. All screws will be replaced with more conventional head screws.

Why can't you ask an easy question? LOL

The most common sizes are 3/16 and 5/32. As I recall, there was a smaller size on my Avion and I used a small standard screwdriver to get them out.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Clutch_Head_Screw_Bits_p/vts-578.htm

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/13 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rfuerst911sc wrote:

We ran into that problem almost immediately. We had ordered clutch head screw drivers and they came in a variety of sizes - just not the size of the Avion screws. The solution was to grind down the one that was closest to the fit.

We're still using that clutch head. I asked someone why on earth the RV industry in that period, and Avion in particular, used such an odd shaped screw head. The answer wasn't forthcoming, but the guess had to do somehow with the use of aluminum. Dunno.

I replaced everyone of them with stainless steel screws accompanied by glops of Parbond.

I'll bet that someone can explain the clutch heads on this forum. Ticki? Dennis? 69 Avion?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 431  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.