RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 431  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/14 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great trip report - I'll put a link to it on the trip reports sticky next time I update it.

Glad you made it to Expo this year (pity we didn't). Bryan was very good at policing our taped-off area last year - some Earthroamers tried to sneak in but either Bryan or DJ threw them out.

Sorry to see the damage to your camper.

All the best,

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/14 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tonyj54 wrote:

Wow!!

I REALLY want to get my truck fixed, or find myself a dually.

Which brings up a question. A possible opportunity has arisen, and I need advice/opinions. What would you guys think of putting a C-10 on the back of a diesel dually set up as a service truck, complete with side-boxes? I'm thinking I could move my gunsmithing gear out of the small trailer, and into the boxes. I'd have to figure out how/where to mount a gun vice, and a couple of other things, obviously, but I think it might work, IF the rig can be pulled together at all. Would it be too top-heavy or tippy? Would the height of the rig make it too susceptible to acting as a sail? Would the height make it too much of a low-bridge risk. I know I'll have to do a lot of measuring, just wanted to get some background expertise to get the idea moving.

If set up properly, I think it would work out fine. Remember the rear hang down part. Check out Bryan Appleby's truck. He spacered up his Lance and put extra water tanks under the camper where he spaced it up. He also put a storage area in front of the camper, behind the cab. The Avion is not very top heavy since it is mainly aluminum, and it makes a terrible sail.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

tonyj54

Independent Republic of Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/14 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cajunavion.

As promised, here are some photos of our sink, but as I said, it's all original, as far as we know. I know I haven't done anything to it, except maybe check to see if it's tight.

Here's the drain trap [image]

where it goes to water heater area [image]

and where water heater should/will go [image]

Moved the bag. Here's what that space looks like empty (we're planning on putting in a 15-gallon water heater that my daughter had in her hair salon)[image]

Like I said...

NOTE: One of those sets of copper tubing runs gas up to the Coleman wall lantern. Need to check it out to get that thing going.

* This post was edited 05/29/14 04:00pm by tonyj54 *

See y'all on the roads, or in the parks.

tonyj & Shirley
'66 AVION C-10
'86 F-250 6.9 DIESEL
KJ4OEQ 146.520MHz
CB Channel 7

cajunavion

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!
Thx Tony, that really helps. Believe me a picture
is really worth a thousand words. I am putting
the plumbing in now for the kitchen sink and
now I see how it was originally routed, quite
a twisty route. I saw your round table, do
yall still have the original, specifically where do
you keep the middle piece(table) to make
the dinette into a lower bed?
thx again!

tonyj54

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/14 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cajun,,

No, the original table was not installed when we bought her, and, frankly, I couldn't figure out how, or where, to attach the swing-up bracket. So, our solution, so far, has been to use an adjustable scissor-leg table that we keep in the camper to hold the dinette table while we eat. When not in use, the scissor-leg table hangs in front of our closet door, and we stow the dinette table either up on the upper bunk, or under the cushions of the port side settee.

Michael 111

Winston Salem

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/14 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am glad to have taken out the insulation, it exposed a few leaks that i would have probably not found the precise location of
Took out the rotten passenger side wing and kept a piece for the angle that was cut in to go under the frame.

I think i will go with 2 layers of plywood ( insulation layer to follow) to rebuild and some CPES™(Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) from the rotdoctor.com to seal everything.

Then i messed around with the bed extension , to sleep north/south, and mocked up ( cardboard) seating area next to the bed extension this will have 3 functions, first to create a comfortable seating area once upholstered, use them as steps to get to the bed and create storage underneath. This seating will be build for passenger and driver side.

i know i am way ahead of myself ,but i could not wait to see if this would even be possible.
Check out the pictures.

[image]

[image]

This week will be all about sealing everything so that i can start re-building

Cheers
As always thanks for all the comments and your input
Michael

tonyj54

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/14 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, gang, I admit to being confused, and bemused, by the whole N/S versus E/W sleeping thing. Shirley and I will have been married for thirty-nine years come August, and no one here loves sleeping with their spouse more than us, but really? She sleeps in the upper, and I on the dinette/lower, and we just make sure that our potty breaks in the night coincide.

So, honestly, there appears to me to be ONLY ONE OTHER reason for wanting a N/S orientation of the bed in our C-10, and we have adapted space and schedules to make that unnecessary.

So, please, someone. Am I totally out-to-lunch on this one, or is there some other reason for a N/S sleeper?

* This post was edited 05/31/14 07:57am by tonyj54 *

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/14 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2. Without a significantly higher roofline the cabover does not lend itself to NS, in my opinion. On the other hand this build is taking many careful steps such as the mock-ups. We'll learn from his experience.

Looks like excellent work.

69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/14 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tonyj54 wrote:

Okay, gang, I admit to being confused, and bemused, by the whole N/S versus E/W sleeping thing. Shirley and I will have been married for thirty-nine years come August, and no one here loves sleeping with their spouse more than us, but really? She sleeps in the upper, and I on the dinette/lower, and we just make sure that our potty breaks in the night coincide.

So, honestly, there appears to me to be ONLY ONE OTHER reason for wanting a N/S orientation of the bed in our C-10, and we have adapted space and schedules to make that unnecessary.

So, please, someone. Am I totally out-to-lunch on this one, or is there some other reason for a N/S sleeper?

The main advantage to a N/S sleeping arraignment is that either person can get out of bed without disturbing the other person too much. With the E/W setup the front person has to crawl over the back person to get out of bed.
If I had my choice, I would have the N/S setup, but as ticki mentioned, it really should have a higher cabover area for that. I can live the with E/W setup, but I like the N/W better. Having said that, for towing, I like the lower profile and aerodynamics of the Avion over many of the bigger rigs.

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/14 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have mentioned the issues I am experiencing with the Gaucho bed, however. It is cumbersome to set. The legs stick in the upright position and it is prone to splintering from use.

So, I plan to replace it.

I am looking at jackknife beds, which seem to have a mixed reputation, as well as unique construction such as this: click

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 431  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion truck campers - Hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.