RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tundra owners...please share your thoughts.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tundra owners...please share your thoughts.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
msjdbman

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

I am looking to retire my old 99 Silverado K1500 daily driver. It has served me well. But due to current half ton offerings, I am very much considering the Tundra. I have real reasons that are too in depth to share here to cover what I consider inadequacies by GM, Ford, and Dodge.

So what I`d like to know from current Tundra owners is: how do they perform for you? What kind of performance and mileage are you getting from either of the V-8 engines and the 6 speed auto trans in a 4 wheel drive Double or Super Cab? Have you had any serious repair issues?

I drive about 40-45K per year, and tow or haul approx 10% of the time for short distances loads that range from 3K to 7K, so that`s why I`ve excluded the V-6.

Your thoughts and experiences would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have over 400,000 miles on a Chevy and your looking for something else?

Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I;m pulling a Keystone Outback 277RL, loaded aprox 8000lbs with a Reese WD and Dual Cam anti-sway. The sweet spot is around 60mph, trailer tires are only rated for 65, so that's fast enough. My Tundra is a 2011, 5.7L with the tow package, rated to pull 10,100lbs. The Tundra tow package comes with a 4:30 rear end and it hums along all day at around 2000rpm. It has plenty of nads to pull my trailer, but if I ever upgraded to a bigger trailer, I would probably go with a bigger truck. I chose the Double Cab as opposed to the Crew Max because the DC has a little more payload capacity, and that's going to be the weak link with any 1/2 ton truck. If it were any more than DW and myself and we didn't load the truck light, I would have gotten an 3/4 ton Ford. I wanted one but I couldn't get the numbers to work the way I needed, but all said, I have no afterthoughts about buying or towing with this truck. It was a short distance between fuel stops so I had a Transfer Flow tank put in. All said, I love this truck and would buy another. It's a capable TV and it's great as a daily drive.
My first Tundra was a 4.6L and even with a smaller trailer, it was a little weak.

2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/11 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Hmmm, I have to admit that is puzzling. Inadequacies in the current 1/2 ton domestics? I don't think so.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fla-gypsy wrote:

bgum wrote:

Hmmm, I have to admit that is puzzling. Inadequacies in the current 1/2 ton domestics? I don't think so.

I guess everyone defines "inadequacy" in their own way [emoticon]

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Drbolasky

Weisenberg Township, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/11 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to the topic.....our Sequoia has the engine & drivetrain as noted in my signature. It is a common combination in the Tundras. I'm towing 6,000 lbs with two adults and two children in the TV. I often get about 19-21 mpg on the highway solo and nearly 13 towing, depending on terrain & headwinds. It has more than enough power, in fact unless I'm paying attention the speed can easily creep up to 65 or 70. No serious issues so far and the dealer is top-notch.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
">

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/11 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"what I consider inadequacies"
Have you googled a Toyota Tundra frame?

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of non-Tundra owners chiming in on a post specifically addressing Tundra owners. Hmmm.

Here's the scoop; if this was 2007, I'd say, buy the Tundra without hesitation as it spanked the competition hard due to it's superior drivetrain at the time. 381 hp, 400 ft lbs of torque, 6 speed trans, 4:30 rearend, and a few safety features that were not even available at the time. Further, it won every towing shootout I saw, easily. No other 1/2 ton could match it, though you'd get an argument from the Titan owners. It summary, it was a "great" truck IMO in 2007.

But this is not 2007, it's 2011, and everybody else has caught up. They all have good drivetrains and about the same power. In terms of current competition, the Tundra is a "good" truck, no longer a "great" truck as the gap has narrowed. As to current offerings, I like the new F-150 very much as it is now more refined and offers a few things the Tundra doesn't, so if I was looking today, I would probably go with the F-150 as I feel it's a nicer overall "package". I'd buy the Tundra over the F-150 only if there was a big difference in price, as they're both good trucks.

As to repairs, the only one I've had was the serpentine belt tensioner (there was a TSB out on the early Tundras) that I easily replaced myself for about $65.00 because my Tundra was already way out of warranty. They corrected the problem sometime in 2008. Other than that, it's been reliable. Mileage towing depending on conditions is 9mpg on the low side and 11 mpg on the high side. Not towing, it depends on how much you keep your foot out it; I've gotten as high as 19-20 mpg on flat highway driving, and about 15-16 around town.

* This post was edited 05/17/11 09:03pm by Ron3rd *

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/11 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe this thread should have been titled
"Touchy Tundra owners...please share your thoughts"
LOL

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rick83864 wrote:

"what I consider inadequacies"
Have you googled a Toyota Tundra frame?

Nothing wrong with the frame on the new generation Tundras, unless you're referring to the old Tundra that had a corrosion issue in areas that used salt. Never affected me on my old 2000 Tundra as I live in So Cal and never heard of the problem until I read about it on the net. I don't think the OP is looking for an old Tundra.

But if you are into google research, just google "6.0 PSD nightmares" or V-10 Spark Plug spitters and read on.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tundra owners...please share your thoughts.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS