RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tundra owners...please share your thoughts.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tundra owners...please share your thoughts.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fla-gypsy wrote:

Maybe this thread should have been titled
"Touchy Tundra owners...please share your thoughts"
LOL

Not touchy at all gypsy, I wish I had your new V-10!

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, to the OP, if you do go with the Tundra, get the 5.7 V8 as the smaller V-8s they offer don't make sense to me; less torque and power and only slightly better gas mileage. The 5.7 is the only way to go.

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What the OP considers "inadequacies", other folks may actually consider to be positives. Leave the OP alone. He has a right to his opinions, no matter how we may disagree (and i DO disagree[emoticon]).

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see any inadequacies in the new offerings from the Big 3, and in fact, I wish the Tundra has a few of the newer features they offer, like built in brake controller.

Mike Up

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/11 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Payload is going to be lower than Ford and Chevy and slightly above Dodge. A friend has a Tundra Double Cab with the 6.5' bed. His truck is optioned like mine. He has 1400 lbs and I have 1430 lbs of payload. The difference is he has the double cab/extended cab which should have 65 lbs more payload than the crew max cab. So with that thought, a Crew Max cab would have only 1335 lbs or 95# less than my F150. A F150 Extended Cab has 160 lbs more payload than the Crew Cab so a F150 Extended Cab like mine, would have 1590 lbs of payload or 190 lbs more payload than the double cab Tundra.

As long as you know that, and it's alright, more power to you.

I would had also considered the Tundra but I didn't for 2 reasons.

#1 and the biggest was the way Toyota tried to screw the American customer with their run away vehicles forcing our government to chase them down at Japan. They won't be accountable for their problems which is a huge no no with me. That's why I won't buy Nissans or GMs anymore. Dodge has shown me that they do stand behind their vehicles and I've been very impressed with Ford's customer service. However Dodge's new Rams are disappointing to me with the coil spring rear suspension and very low payloads.

#2, they uses ancient C channel frames and their bed crossmembers are weak. Now this is no secret to the Tundra owners out there as I see them complaining about it on their forums as well. The beds twist and bounce on the frame. This is not unique to Tundra, my 2004 Nissan Titan did the same thing. I honestly don't think this is a huge deal as these are only 1/2 ton trucks. Now it might be a big deal if you overload your bed.

If Toyota would had been better to their customers, I would had been looking on their lot. I actually like the 'new' Tundras but one thing to remember, they've been making them less than a decade while others have been making them for decades. The previous midsize Tundra had it's problems with growing pains but Toyota looks like it's learning how to build them especially since they finally went fullsize on this last generation. Plus they seem only to be getting better. A good sign of this is that there are many Tundra fleet vehicles now, that I see. If they were like the Titans, you wouldn't see them as Fleet vehicles.

Good luck in your decision.

2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, Soon to be pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

msjdbman

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/11 03:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to the "Tundra Owners" who have replied. To those throwing remarks in defense of the big 3 domestics and my mention of inadequacies...there are issues with each of them that makes each brand have an inadequacy to "ME". I do`nt have the time or desire to explain myself further. I`m not here to debate which brand is better. I have simply asked Tundra owners to share their thoughts and experiences with me. That is all I have asked.

2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/11 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no reason why any brand's most capable half ton would have a problem with that weight of trailer. I highly recommend the highest numerical axle ratio available and the most powerful engine, except Ford where I recommend the 3.5L EB over the 6.2L. It will provide both the best power and fuel economy while towing.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/11 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

fla-gypsy wrote:

Maybe this thread should have been titled
"Touchy Tundra owners...please share your thoughts"
LOL

Not touchy at all gypsy, I wish I had your new V-10!

Just funning with you guys a little. The F-250 6.8L/4.10 combo is sweet for towing the TT.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

skyhammer

NW CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/11 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike Up wrote:

Payload is going to be lower than Ford and Chevy and slightly above Dodge. A friend has a Tundra Double Cab with the 6.5' bed. His truck is optioned like mine. He has 1400 lbs and I have 1430 lbs of payload. The difference is he has the double cab/extended cab which should have 65 lbs more payload than the crew max cab. So with that thought, a Crew Max cab would have only 1335 lbs or 95# less than my F150. A F150 Extended Cab has 160 lbs more payload than the Crew Cab so a F150 Extended Cab like mine, would have 1590 lbs of payload or 190 lbs more payload than the double cab Tundra.

As long as you know that, and it's alright, more power to you.

I would had also considered the Tundra but I didn't for 2 reasons.

#1 and the biggest was the way Toyota tried to screw the American customer with their run away vehicles forcing our government to chase them down at Japan. They won't be accountable for their problems which is a huge no no with me. That's why I won't buy Nissans or GMs anymore. Dodge has shown me that they do stand behind their vehicles and I've been very impressed with Ford's customer service. However Dodge's new Rams are disappointing to me with the coil spring rear suspension and very low payloads.

#2, they uses ancient C channel frames and their bed crossmembers are weak. Now this is no secret to the Tundra owners out there as I see them complaining about it on their forums as well. The beds twist and bounce on the frame. This is not unique to Tundra, my 2004 Nissan Titan did the same thing. I honestly don't think this is a huge deal as these are only 1/2 ton trucks. Now it might be a big deal if you overload your bed.

If Toyota would had been better to their customers, I would had been looking on their lot. I actually like the 'new' Tundras but one thing to remember, they've been making them less than a decade while others have been making them for decades. The previous midsize Tundra had it's problems with growing pains but Toyota looks like it's learning how to build them especially since they finally went fullsize on this last generation. Plus they seem only to be getting better. A good sign of this is that there are many Tundra fleet vehicles now, that I see. If they were like the Titans, you wouldn't see them as Fleet vehicles.

Good luck in your decision.

I have a Limited,DC,4WD with the 5.7. It was one of the first Tundras built and I have never had a problem.
As others have said, I can get 20+MPG when empty and on flat ground. I average 15.5MPG in the mountains of NW CA. Towing while at max GVWR,I get around 10MPG in the mountains.
Your #1 point is backwards. The US Govt. owes Toyota an apology for costing Toyota Billions of $.
NASA was comissioned to do a study on the gas pedal issue and found no problems, except for driver error regarding floor mats.
Point #2 is also inaccurate.The Tundra doesn't have an ancient C- channel frame. It has a fully boxed frame up front, a reinforced C- channel under the cab and and an open C- channel under the bed.
By the way, your Titan( I unfortunately owned two of them), has a fully boxed frame.

2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/11 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2007 5.7 DC 4x4 that I used to pull a 32' fifth wheel that weighed in at about 10k depending on how long the trip was. I got an average of 7 mpg pulling it all over Florida and Georgia. Never had an issue with it and had plenty of power and it was sitting on 37's while pulling. THe only reason that I got rid of it was the wife wanted a bigger trailer. If I ever decided to go back to a smaller trailer, the Tundra is the only truck I would consider again.

2018 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 XP
2017 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 333RETS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tundra owners...please share your thoughts.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS