RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Things to see across the Northern US?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Things to see across the Northern US?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
junmy3

Middle Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/11 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I really enjoyed our visit to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. There was one hiking trail that went to some petrified trees that was awesome. We also think that the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD is worth a visit. It will only take an hour or two, but the mural that they change every year is great.
Also I love RV.net, but some folks are not as helpful as others. I know you are just asking for the experience of others so you can make a decision on what you want to see.

Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/11 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great info. If anyone else wants to contribute, please do!

Drbolasky

Weisenberg Township, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/11 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arkansas - Crater of Diamonds Minnesota - Pipestone Nat'l Monument South Dakota - Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills area, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Custer State Park, Badlands North Dakota - Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park Montana - Louis & Clark Caverns Wyoming - Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Devil's Tower (which is actually not far from Mt. Rushmore) Colorado - Mesa Verde, Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge RR New Mexico- Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR, Aztec Ruins Nat'l Monument Arizona - Meteor Crater, Painted Desert/Petrified Forest, Sunset Crater Volcano, Wupatki, Grand Canyon, Rt. 66, Hoover Dam

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
">

rolling_rhoda

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/11 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've spent most of my life in the Dakotas. Besides the obvious (Mt. Rushmore, etc.), here are some real gems.

Eastern SD:
Falls Park in Sioux Falls - lovely for a picnic, a walk, or a concert
Laura Ingalls Wilder in DeSmet - There are two items here. The historical society gives excellent tours of sites in town where Laura and family lived. Also, a private owner has a frontier prairie exhibit south of town, adjacent to the Ingalls homestead, that's like a living history museum - also excellent. Do both, they're two different experiences.
Redlin Art Center in Watertown - houses the origanal paintings of wildlife artist Terry Redlin. It's right on I-29. The Vintiques Car Club has several good car shows in the summer, too. Check the Chamber of Commerce calendar.
Ft. Sisseton State Park - is an intact frontier fort with entertaining walking tours. It's also a nice drive up into the glacial lakes region. The Fort has lots of activities in summer from Frontier Days to Pow-wows. Nearby is Sica Hollow State Park. It is an important spiritual place to the Native Americans. I've enjoyed hiking the Trail of the Spirits since childhood. It's very tranquil on weekdays.

Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge and Waubay National Wildlife Refuge (has hiking trails) are also in this region -- lots of birds and waterfowl as we're in the middle of the Central Flyway.

In Central ND near Bismarck:
Fort Abraham Lincoln - where Custer lived and prepared his cavalry for the Battle of Little Bighorn. Excellent tours of his house.
On-A-Slant Indian Village - next to Ft. Lincoln. A really interesting look at old Plains Indians culture. Sits on the high bluffs overlooking the wide Missouri River - enjoy the view.

* This post was edited 05/24/11 09:30am by rolling_rhoda *

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can someone explain the route from Buffalo to Cody without going on 14 or 14A (I think Hwy 16 or something)? I would prefer to stay in Wyoming rather than follow the interstate into Montana.

newk

Gillette, WY

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/11 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sonicsix wrote:

Can someone explain the route from Buffalo to Cody without going on 14 or 14A (I think Hwy 16 or something)? I would prefer to stay in Wyoming rather than follow the interstate into Montana.

Very simple. If coming from the east, take the first exit into Buffalo (Hwy 16) and follow it to Cody. [emoticon] It's a good two-lane highway all the way.

Buffalo is a small community of around 4,000 so it doesn't take much to go right through the middle of it. As you leave town you'll already be climbing, and a couple miles west of town you'll begin a fairly steep ascent into the Bighorns (6% or so). Most of the climb will be in the first 10-15 miles, and from there on across the mountains it'll be a series of easy ups and downs and gentle curves.

If you're looking for a place to camp, there are some nice NFS campgrounds in the Bighorns, many less than a mile off the highway. I think all of them have drinking water, outhouses, picnic tables and firepits, but no hookups.

Approximately 20 miles past Powder River Pass you'll see Meadowlark Lake on your left, then a few miles further Deer Haven Lodge on your right. From just past there the highway will take a fairly sharp right turn over Ten Sleep Creek and you'll begin a rather steep decent into Ten Sleep Canyon, initiated by a pair of hairpin curves.

Hwy 16 over the Bighorns is a pleasant drive if you take your time. Watch for deer, moose, and elk, although I can't recall ever seeing a moose ON the highway.

Once at the floor of the canyon it's a short drive (5 miles?) to Ten Sleep -- mostly flat and straight. Ten Sleep to Worland is pretty much badlands -- dry, hilly, kind of ugly with lots of oil wells.

At Worland you'll turn right and follow the Bighorn River through Basin and Greybull (mostly flat and straight highway), then turn towards Cody. Most of that drive is over pretty desolate prairie land too, and it's nothing very remarkable.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Things to see across the Northern US?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.