RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I am not impressed with Dometic windows or Heki skylight...!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I am not impressed with Dometic windows or Heki skylight...!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not impressed with Dometic windows or Heki skylight. The quality and design of these things are just awful. Everyone seems to think these items are the "cat's meow." I was in that camp until actually having a camper with the insulated windows and Heki vent.

• First off... I did have to replace the large side window because of my own fault by leaving it open. BUT... a normal crank out window would not have blown out even if accidentally left open. You can read that story HERE.

• Second.... I had to disassemble one of the smaller windows in the cabover because the shade/ screen assembly skipped the track and it would not open. Easy fix, but by dissembling the thing, it gave me insight into how cheesy these things are made.

• Third... speaking of the window screen/ shades, these are some of the most delicate assemblies I have ever seen! You must treat these with kid gloves in order to get them to operate properly. This is especially true on the large side widow because of the large span it must operate within.

• Fourth.... I had to replace the struts on the Heki vent. AND these replacements ARE NOT cheap. The originals would not keep the vent open. Unacceptable in my opinion for a 3 year old camper. Also, there is no variation to the degree of openness of the vent; it is either open or closed. The crank vents allow one to open all the way or any where in between.

• Fifth... speaking of the vent, this is a not well thought out design. Follow me on this: You open the vent, but to do so you must open the screen and shade. Vent open, close the screen. You leave it open into the night and the vent lets air in and the screen does its job keeping bugs out. Now you go to close the vent, but you need to slide open the screen to do so. Guess where the bugs go? This is the same for the windows too. The crank window and vent do not require this. Just crank and go.

• Sixth... The struts on the windows are of such poor quality in doing the job of keeping the window open and in place. The square window over the kitchen is now shot. I had it open on a recent outing and a gust of wind came up and it whipped the widow up on it hinge and destroyed the struts. They never held the glazing in place. Now I did not lose the window, but the struts are now useless. They no longer hold open the window as they are useless limp pieces of metal. At least the window seals the opening and I do not have to replace it, but the struts are a small fortune to pay... especially if they are prone to failure.

These malfunctions and failures are not on a used and abused camper. It is a 3 year old camper that was in brand new condition as it was a bank repo. The items in question were not worn at all. There is no reason that the failures should have occurred.

These optional items were already on the camper; I did not order them as options and for the price paid for the camper I guess I should not complain too much...

...BUT...

...If one is considering these expensive optional items on a new order I would heartily recommend AGAINST them. They are pricey and from my experiences they are not worth the money. The tried and true crank type windows and vents have so little room for failure that it is a much better way to go... and this from someone living in very cold climates where the insulated windows are nice to have.

Do not waste your money.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

TC-less, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups and 2 Northstar Arrows.

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/11 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've often wondered what would happen to my open windows on a windy day. As far as the Heki vent goes, I learned from RV.net to avoid that thing. I ordered the old style vent, which is not that great either.
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Frank! I've not had the Dometic side windows, but from what I saw of yours, I wouldn't ever consider getting them.

The hatch is more of a toss up for me. I really do like having it for seeing through (stars, sky etc.) but I also hate having to open up the screen to open/close the hatch (Here come the bugs!) and the slide-across blinds on mine are nearly hammered (partly because of the clamps breaking and having the shade sucked up into the opening a few times.) I think I saw on a newer model they redesigned the shade to what looks better.

So....I wouldn't disagree with you, that's for sure!

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/11 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing your viewpoints.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

emmalou1

Windsor Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I agree with all parties on the Heki Vent, I had to replace the struts and the frame of the unit has crack to the outside all around the unit.
That is because the manufactuer of my camper put the vent on a roof that was not flat. I used Eternabond to seal up all the cracks on the outside.
Now the screen, if you let it go it slams as it is retracting and came off the tracks. Yeah it was a ***** to get it back in, and it has never operated correctly since. I have made it work. If I could find a vent to replace the Heki vent I would buy it and rip out the Heki. It is a great idea, just need some quality control. Hey maybe we should design and build this critter!!!
Dave

realter

NW

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where was this great advice 3 years ago when I was looking for a camper. I totally agree, especially about letting the insects in when you close the window. My skylight/vent will snap shut by itself, usually in the middle of the night too.

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the Dometic windows since 2004 and I really like them. I've had no problems with the windows, the screens, or anything. I think they're great.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

tcmaybee

SW Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting post. I've only spent a few days in my camper that I've had less than a month. But your comments reflect my opinion also, especially the flimsy shade/screen operating system. Maybe those with more experience will say they are durable over time. I don't understand the high cost either. Maybe it's the profit margin?

Gary3

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife also likes the crank out window much better than any dual pane sliders many a rainy night we have them open.As far as the Hyki hatch I would much rather have a fantastic fan above the bed any day much safer if it starts raining and your off somewhere.

Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

rumcoke

cape may county

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/11 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I ordered these insulated windows at the advice of the dealer. List price was $990. Would not order them again. They must be operated with kidd gloves. Third time used this past week and had difficulty getting the window to stay open.
Looks impressive though when the salesman operates it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I am not impressed with Dometic windows or Heki skylight...!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.