RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I am not impressed with Dometic windows or Heki skylight...!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I am not impressed with Dometic windows or Heki skylight...!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Flyfisher86

Catskill Mtns.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/11 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the windows in my camper and love them, I would never go back to the crank out or sliders. I do agree they are pricey and they do need to use a better UV material on the skylight. But that said I have had no problems with them and you can't beat them in the cold weather as you don't get the condensation built up on them like the aluminum framed windows. Plus I like the way the shade and screen works as you can close the shade partially to block the sun but still have good cross ventilation through the windows. Strictly my opinion. Oh yea and the bug part well thats part of living outdoors in nature[emoticon]

2015 Ram 3500 CC Cab&chassis Eby Flatbed 6.7CTD 6Spd Auto
2009 Northern Lite 10-2CDSE 200w of solar and one spoiled camper dog Splash

kerry4951

East Central Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I forget( and I would) and leave one of my sliders open, I don't have to worry. A shattered window like the OP had would ruin a trip. I'll keep it simple. I'll keep my sliders and my fantastic fans. Two less things to worry about.

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Line-X sprayed my vent so no more cracks falling apart .

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have slider windows and screens in my 23 year old Bigfoot. They are not double pane, but they work as new ones. I clean the tracks every once in a great while. I have had the crank outs in previous RVs, I much rather have the sliders. I have left the sliders open on the road, in rain, and never had a problem with them. There really is nothing to go wrong with them.

Wayne

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have those side windows and the Heki skylight. Not too sure if I like the side windows having lost one (our fault, forgot to close it) and had to finish a long trip with a piece of thin plexiglas taped over the opening which got us home but it cost $600 to replace just the "glass" and struts. Also the plastic windows scratch easily if contacted by any tree branches which invariably have some dust on them.
We are very UNhappy with the Heki skylight and would advise others to avoid it. First one of the holddown latches broke spontaneously while on the road. This is a common occurence, others have posted about it. After replacing it, we now travel with a board wedged between the ceiling and the pulldown bar. Recently 2 of the 3 plastic hinges broke between the hinge pins and the foundation for the entire unit. Fortunately, I was able to drill and screw down what was left of those hinge ends to the roof. We'll see how long that lasts. All in all, I would much rather have double-pane REAL GLASS sliding windows, even though they weigh more, and a conventional crank up skylight. -Mark.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wasn't going to jump in on this one since I've only had the Dometic thermal windows and, as such, don't really have anything to offer in comparison, but I do like my windows. On cold nights I feel zero cold penetrating the windows or frame and no condensation in the morning, unlike my roof vent frames. I actually like the attached screen and blind and never had any problems with them. I will say that I wish you could open and close the window without having to open the screen and the windows themselves feel a little flimsy but we are also concerned about weight, aren't we? A quick walk around before rolling out, which I always do, would reveal any open windows. It's not like this is the only thing I need to worry about before breaking camp and driving off.

As in all things based on opinion this is just mine and you're entitled to yours. [emoticon]
Dan

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

H2oSprt

So. Cal

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any tips on cleaning the Dometic windows? I'm so scared of scratching them...

15 expedition El ecoboost

2008 Jayco 12hw

OffroadstevenSF

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I looked at the XPCamper, who uses all Dometic windows I had the same Questions.
I was told by Marc that there are a variety of Heki vents and most RV manufacturers use the inexpensive ones. The one he uses has a crank and can be opened and closed with the screens in place. ALso more $$$ as i was told (3x more)

He also has a neat rick of preventing them scratching, but was told to no reveal it.

They seem to be a fine product and have a good track record in Europe.

JMO

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

He also has a neat rick of preventing them scratching, but was told to no reveal it.

And why not? Jeez.......[emoticon]

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

AidenJ

Adirondacks, NY ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our new camper last year. I've had the old style jalousy and then the sliders and now the new acrylic 3 position. Sure they will scratch but unless you are totally unaware of your surroundings you should not have a problem. I also like the Hieki skylight. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would never trade back.

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I am not impressed with Dometic windows or Heki skylight...!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.