RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: First time Boondocking!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> First time Boondocking!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago when camping at Heron Lake State Park here in New Mexico, a neighbor saw me carrying water in 5 gal jerry can. He showed me his setup, a water tank in the bed of pickup and a small pump to transfer the water to his TT. He had order them from JC Whitney. After getting home, I order them. We used the tank and pump in two pickups and a van. The tank got cracked in storage while we went to a C-Class MH.

After we went back to having a TT, I wanted a way to have access to more fresh water and a way to tranfer it to the holding tank in the trailer is a must for us, one of the very first things we got for ours. A 26 gal water tank which we keep in the back of the pick-up. We have one of these: 26 gal Tank

I'd hate to live without my set-up. We use one of these to transfer water: 12 v Transfer Pump

The first type we had years ago, we used in the rear of a Chevy Conversion Van behind the rear seat. This was the type we had first Clicky. A Water Bladder might work well also, perhaps with one on top of the roof. Might not need a pump to transfer the water with it up there.

We had a Ford Ranger when we got the water tank, with the Ranger, I had to pump it most of the time, with the Ford F-150, we now have, being higher, gravity works very well right into the trailer's filler opening. I didn't even hook up the pump the last couple of times I used it this past summer. When gravity will not work, I have use the siphon method:
[image]

We seldom use RV Parks.

What Is Boondocking?
"The term "boondocking" means different things to different people. Free camping, overnight RV parking at places such as Wal-Mart or truck stops, and any time RV hookups are not available (dry camping) have been referred to as boondocking."

"www.rv-camping.org defines boondocking as remote location dispersed camping. With this in mind, you might call boondocking advanced RV camping. This type of camping isn't for everyone. Dispersed camping in remote areas requires research, exploration, and a sense of adventure to find great campsites."

"The term "dispersed camping" has started showing up in official US government agency web sites. It also has been referred to as "car camping", and is defined by the USDA Forest Service as "camping outside developed campgrounds". "

You hear the terms used interchangeable all the time. One most often have to guess at which meaning someone is referring.

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

itsmike wrote:

Ok.. After reading the Definitions of Boondocking, I will rephrase my statement to Drycamping!

The boondocking will come when we camp on the beach later this year..

For some serious boondocking, you need to make a trip out West!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

itsmike

Greelawn NY, Long Island!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/11 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertHawk wrote:

Many years ago when camping at Heron Lake State Park here in New Mexico, a neighbor saw me carrying water in 5 gal........

hear the terms used interchangeable all the time. One most often have to guess at which meaning someone is referring.

Thanks for the info and the ideas..

2005 Ford Expedition XLT (The Gas Guzzler)
2004 Ram 1500 Hemi QuadCab
1999 Sunline Saturn T24
1 Wife
3 Kids">
1 Dog!

itsmike

Greelawn NY, Long Island!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/11 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dadwolf2 wrote:

For some serious boondocking, you need to make a trip out West!

I hope next summer we will be making our trip to the Grand Canyon we wanted to do for years now..

w6pea

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/11 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Hawk
"She Who Must be Obeyed" and myself went to Quartzsite a couple of months ago.While we were there a couple that was parked across from us had one of those set-ups like you had with the water bladder, he had it the back of his toad. (they were in a big Class-A DP). He went into town and came back and filled his fresh water tank he used a transfer pump like the one you have it worked pretty slick.

Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> First time Boondocking!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.