RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: First time Boondocking!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> First time Boondocking!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
itsmike

Greelawn NY, Long Island!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, this past weekend we camped at a place that has No hookups.. Cedar Point in East Hampton NY.

This was a good time. My Generator I picked up a few years ago (2400 Watt Pepboys Special $120 after rebates and sale) worked like a charm and was not as loud as some of the other ones I herd there.. It ran the Lights, Fridge, and AC (When Needed) like a champ.. Well worth the $$ on that..

My only issue this weekend was.. I filled my water tank with fresh water and it was fine until my DW decided to give my little son a bath and used up the water a day early.. The look on her face when I told her she has to use the parks bathroom at that point was worth the hassle of have a dry tank..

It was fun and we will be doing that a little more often this summer at other parks near by.. The Suffolk county parks only charge $15 a night at these parks..

2005 Ford Expedition XLT (The Gas Guzzler)
2004 Ram 1500 Hemi QuadCab
1999 Sunline Saturn T24
1 Wife
3 Kids">
1 Dog!

itsmike

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok.. After reading the Definitions of Boondocking, I will rephrase my statement to Drycamping!

The boondocking will come when we camp on the beach later this year..

dogshooter

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I guess Boondocking in New York is a bit different than it is out here in Wyoming. Where I camp we pay nothing except the extra food that the bears get if we forget to put it well out of their reach.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."...John Wayne

reset

Full timer - Where ever I'm parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like your son will learn about a Navy shower at a young age[emoticon]

Your gonna love boon-docking[emoticon]

itsmike

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

reset wrote:

Sounds like your son will learn about a Navy shower at a young age[emoticon]

Your gonna love boon-docking[emoticon]

Oh yea he will!

I have to admit, it was more like camping then at some of these "RV resorts" with the full hookups and what not..

One big lesson learned this trip was to make sure your battery is in good condition and ALWAYS bring the generator needed or not.. 2 days prior to the trip, I put it on the trickle charge to top it off.. Well, to my dismay the Free Battery that we got from my DW's uncle was no good.. So after we set up camp and unhooked the TT, I trekked myself the 65 miles back home to get my generator..

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a HUGE difference between a "campground" and an "RV Resort". Which is best depends on personal preferences but I always prefer the self sufficiency of the campground.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

korbe

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago most campers when dry camping would make sure they had a good battery because of no hookups. Nowadays, it seems campers don't care too much about the quality, or state of charge of the battery because they have the generator to take care of the electrical needs for the weekend. For me, that mind set has changed the enjoyment that our simple Forest Service campgrounds have provided. And now I must boondock for the peace & quiet. JMHO.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

itsmike wrote:

Pepboys Special $120 after rebates and sale) worked like a charm and was not as loud as some of the other ones I herd there..
Was it a rather noisy place?

itsmike

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

korbe wrote:

Years ago most campers when dry camping would make sure they had a good battery because of no hookups. Nowadays, it seems campers don't care too much about the quality, or state of charge of the battery because they have the generator to take care of the electrical needs for the weekend. For me, that mind set has changed the enjoyment that our simple Forest Service campgrounds have provided. And now I must boondock for the peace & quiet. JMHO.

I did have the battery on the charge for 2 days, it tested fine at home.. That is the reason I felt confident in relying on it and not bringing the generator..

itsmike

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

itsmike wrote:

Pepboys Special $120 after rebates and sale) worked like a charm and was not as loud as some of the other ones I herd there..
Was it a rather noisy place?

Only noise was obviously the few generators running (They are strict on the Hours to run it so it was not that bad at all), but for the most part it was a little busy due to the holiday weekend..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> First time Boondocking!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.