RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Finally can provide some hard data on the Ecoboost towing

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Finally can provide some hard data on the Ecoboost towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/11 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just returned from a short five day trip to Lake Murray Oklahoma with family and friends. Me camping and the others staying in the resort cabins several miles away. Since the other families were driving some 32 MPG type vehicles (Kia Rio and Chevy Cobault) my truck became the "pack mule" for the trip [emoticon] I was carrying luggage and misc camping gear for two of the three families plus my own gear. All fuel numbers were hand calculated and accurately reflect the conditions to the best of my ability in a brief report. I was impressed and in a couple of instances actually surprised at the results.

Load in/on truck (2,550 lb. available payload)
2,475 lb. total
1,125 tongue weight
Passengers (4 plus 30 lb. of shaggy dog) 650 lb.
Cargo carried 800 lb. (luggage and misc for 3 families plus my own items for the trailer and camping)
Cargo weight is estimated and it MAY have been a little more but I didn't want to know if it was. [emoticon]

Trailer weight 7,500 lb.

total load of 9,975 lb. to be applied to trailer tow rating. (rating on truck is 11,300 lb.)

fuel mileage.
Heading south with calm winds Cruise set at 65 MPH
tank #1 = 10.1 MPG (hand calculated) Hilly country
tank #2 = 6.95 MPG (Hand Calculated) Hilly country with 25 to 35 MPH head winds
tank #3 = 12.31 MPG (Hand Calculated) Hilly country with head winds but 50% non towing with variable wind conditions.

Obviously I did some driving around while there but I did not include these figures. I have consistently gotten between 16.5 and 17.5 MPG driving in city traffic however.

Heading north (coming home) calm winds, cruise set at 65 MPH
tank #1 = 10.11 MPG (hand calculated) Hilly country
tank #2 = 12.38 MPG (hand calculated) Hilly country 25 to 35 MPH quartering tail winds
tank #3 = 7.73 MPG (Hand calculated) hilly country 25 to 35 MPH quartering head winds

total miles calculated 985
104.36 gallons of RUG (mostly E10)
Average MPG calculated 9.44

Other information:

For the MOST part the DIC was pretty close to the hand calculations which surprised me. The first tank after going from non towing to towing was off the most (understandably). Miles to empty also seemed to be VERY accurate. What really surprised me was that even when I would go from running empty to towing it seemed to fairly quickly compensate for the vast difference in fuel economy. I had assumed that the "miles to empty" feature would be useless under these conditions but I would be fairly comfortable using it while traveling with a little common sense applied. Of course you wouldn't want to burn 3/4 of a tank running bob tail, hitch up the trailer and assume it was accurate.

During the sections of the trip where head winds were encountered there were several instances where the transmission dropped out of OD on hills. MOST of them it towed in either the first or second over drive with no difficulty. Handling even in the gusty winds was very good but probably not QUITE as good as my F250 diesel or previous F150 but it was loaded to pretty close 100% of it's capacity which probably accounted for the difference. It is also possible that I need to do a little more tweaking of the Reece Straight Line hitch to get everything perfect. This was evidenced by the spring bars trying to hang up when unhitching so it is likely I need to adjust the cam length a little.

Am I SATISFIED with the Ecoboost? I'll tell you as soon as I can get the smile off of my face [emoticon] The route is a very easy route but the truck towed the load very easily so Yes, I'm happy with the results and ready for the mountains in a month or so.

Good luck / Skip

* This post was last edited 06/18/11 12:11am by skipnchar *   View edit history

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/11 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you made a great choice of truck. I was close to getting one myself, but after discussing it we decided the next trailer will be significantly bigger, so we got ready for that.

Good job Ford!

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/11 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those sound like honest real world numbers skip. Not bad for a V-6 towing heavy.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

stetwood

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/11 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So when do you start doing Ford ads?

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/11 11:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great info! I have have been waiting for your report.

Thanks!

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2016 Ford Fusion
Ozark Trail Tunnel Tent
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

9mpg for a gasser with a heavy trailer is very good ... I just hope this engine and associated drivetrain is a survivor long term, but only time will tell.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Mich upnorth

Niles, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am seriously thinking of getting one to replace my 08 Avalance. My trailer weighs a little over 5000 lbs. What rear end do you have, I am thinking of going with a 3.55. From what Ihave read, that should be good with the 6 speed transmission. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Bob & Barb
2016 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mich upnorth wrote:

I am seriously thinking of getting one to replace my 08 Avalance. My trailer weighs a little over 5000 lbs. What rear end do you have, I am thinking of going with a 3.55. From what Ihave read, that should be good with the 6 speed transmission. Thanks for keeping us updated.

If towing is the principal reason for the truck a 3.73 would be the best choice but if it's mainly an every day driver that occasionally tows, 3.55 would be fine. Either way you would have plenty of power for towing that trailer.

Good luck / Skip

ib516

Way up north eh

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report with the sometimes "all too rare" honest numbers Skip. [emoticon]

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

Kennedycamper

Algoa, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/11 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you really got a good matching truck to pull your trailer. The Eco-boost type engine in my opinion is the future of gasoline engines.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Finally can provide some hard data on the Ecoboost towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS