|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New high output dodge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

ricatic wrote:

ib516 wrote:

ricatic wrote:

...it is not pig pea...it is 62% deionized water and 32% urea...available virtually anywhere for $2.39 to $4.00 a gallon. A gallon takes a truck about 1200 miles. You add it once per oil change. It is no more of a hassle than adding windshield washer fluid...cleaner emissions using far less EGR cycles and active regenerations...I agree with Navydood on this one...who said that...[emoticon]

Just the facts

Another fact would be that it's not exactly like windshield washer fluid. Windshield washer fluid will not damage paint like urea does, keep that urea off your paint job boys. I wonder if that's why GM chose to mount the fill port under the hood instead of on the fleetside of the box?

...while the chemical composition of DEF is obviously not identical to windshield washer fluid, the rest of your facts are not facts. You have mentioned this paint problem more than once here but what is your basis for your statement? Your "the sky is falling" warning about the paint being damaged by casual DEF contact is wrong.

{snip}

Regards

I got my "sky is falling" FACTS from the Ford video about the refilling proceedure for the DEF tank. LINK - see 7:30 mark of the video

And I quote: "Immediately wipe away any diesel fluid that is spilled on painted surfaces with water and a damp cloth to prevent damage to the paint."

Maybe you should watch the video since you own one...

...maybe you should stop bashing other brands when you do not know what you are talking about....unlike you, who will butt into any thread with non owner nonsense, I have first hand experience with the subject at hand. I did not need to watch another brands video to dredge up purported subject matter for bashing the truck. As others have said, owners manuals state spillage of any fluids should be cleaned up immediately to prevent potential damage to the surface it splashed on.

My contribution to this discussion provided first hand, non-anecdotal information about what really happens when you spill some DEF on a Ford truck's painted surface. Let me repeat the results for you...It does no damage if you wipe it off. BTDT...have you?...of course not...now if the quality of the paint on your brand will not handle the possibility of a few drops of DEF, maybe you need better paint...

I did not intend to return to this Dodge thread but when attacked, I will respond.

Regards

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post

* This post was edited 06/27/11 05:34pm by ricatic *

Yahooligan

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/11 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ricatic wrote:

ib516 wrote:

ricatic wrote:

ib516 wrote:

ricatic wrote:

...it is not pig pea...it is 62% deionized water and 32% urea...available virtually anywhere for $2.39 to $4.00 a gallon. A gallon takes a truck about 1200 miles. You add it once per oil change. It is no more of a hassle than adding windshield washer fluid...cleaner emissions using far less EGR cycles and active regenerations...I agree with Navydood on this one...who said that...[emoticon]

Just the facts

Another fact would be that it's not exactly like windshield washer fluid. Windshield washer fluid will not damage paint like urea does, keep that urea off your paint job boys. I wonder if that's why GM chose to mount the fill port under the hood instead of on the fleetside of the box?

...while the chemical composition of DEF is obviously not identical to windshield washer fluid, the rest of your facts are not facts. You have mentioned this paint problem more than once here but what is your basis for your statement? Your "the sky is falling" warning about the paint being damaged by casual DEF contact is wrong.

{snip}

Regards

I got my "sky is falling" FACTS from the Ford video about the refilling proceedure for the DEF tank. LINK - see 7:30 mark of the video

And I quote: "Immediately wipe away any diesel fluid that is spilled on painted surfaces with water and a damp cloth to prevent damage to the paint."

...maybe you should stop bashing other brands when you do not know what you are talking about....unlike you, who will butt into any thread with non owner nonsense, I have first hand experience with the subject at hand. I did not need to watch another brands video to dredge up purported subject matter for bashing the truck. As others have said, owners manuals state spillage of any fluids should be cleaned up immediately to prevent potential damage to the surface it splashed on.

My contribution to this discussion provided first hand, non-anecdotal information about what really happens when you spill some DEF on a Ford truck's painted surface. Let me repeat the results for you...It does no damage if you wipe it off. BTDT...have you?...of course not...now if the quality of the paint on your brand will not handle the possibility of a few drops of DEF, maybe you need better paint...

I did not intend to return to this Dodge thread but when attacked, I will respond.

Regards

I don't regard his post as bashing, simply restating what Ford says. DEF is caustic, it's corrosive. The DEF suppliers say so. Is it going to cause IMMEDIATE damage to your paint? No. I bet repeated spillage that is not cleaned up will, though. If it were as safe as water then there would be no mention that it needed to be wiped off to prevent damage. Would you like to test that for us? If you're so sure DEF is harmless then you shouldn't have any problem. On the other hand, if you're not willing to do that then you must concede that DEF might actually cause damage to your paint over time.

Unfortunately, you're turning back into ric"attack" and losing sight of things. Don't expect anyone to take your word over Ford's when you're like this. I just about blocked you after this last post.

Have a good one.

Hogan & Clan

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, talk about digressing. Bird******will kill paint if not taken care of. Lets use a little common sense about the likelihood of damage. Look at your sun visor. I bet it say something similar to high vehicle and roll over risk. Does that mean you should never go off the pavement or to just exercise common sense and good judgment if doing so?

I guess the language filter got me. But the word started with a c and not s. I do not want to give the impression I was using foul language.[emoticon]

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fail to see how facts backed up by Ford's own recommendation constitutes an attack.

In any event, I hope this topic returns to Ram info primarily.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yahooligan wrote:

ricatic wrote:

ib516 wrote:

ricatic wrote:

ib516 wrote:

ricatic wrote:

Just the facts

{snip}

Regards

Regards

I don't regard his post as bashing, simply restating what Ford says. DEF is caustic, it's corrosive. The DEF suppliers say so. Is it going to cause IMMEDIATE damage to your paint? No. I bet repeated spillage that is not cleaned up will, though. If it were as safe as water then there would be no mention that it needed to be wiped off to prevent damage. Would you like to test that for us? If you're so sure DEF is harmless then you shouldn't have any problem. On the other hand, if you're not willing to do that then you must concede that DEF might actually cause damage to your paint over time.

Unfortunately, you're turning back into ric"attack" and losing sight of things. Don't expect anyone to take your word over Ford's when you're like this. I just about blocked you after this last post.

Have a good one.

...ok...at the risk of getting "blocked", I will respond. First of all, being one of the Dodge Boy crowd, you would certainly not see the bash... Your assertion about the Def not damaging the paint surface when wiped up immediately is correct. I have missed a few drops when I spilled a little on my truck when I threw the empty 2.5 gallon jug into the bed. These show up as white residue on the paint. I did not notice it until morning...guess what...it wiped off with NO PAINT DAMAGE...can you believe it...do not care if you do not...Now to your ridiculous request for me to deliberately attempt to damage the paint on my nice new 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel powered F350, one of over 300,000 2011 6.7 Ford diesels produced to date. Man, that's a lot of nice new shiny new Ford's. I will continue to follow common sense and Ford's advice to wipe any spillage up as soon as possible...why wouldn't I???? I never said it was harmless...just not as damaging as another here would imply...and be wrong...

Block away if you must...but just think about what new facts you will miss...isn't this fun....

Regards

Yahooligan

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/11 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ricatic wrote:

...ok...at the risk of getting "blocked", I will respond. First of all, being one of the Dodge Boy crowd, you would certainly not see the bash...

Really, ricatic? So much for you being able to be objective.

I own a Dodge. I am not part of the "Dodge Boy" crowd. I've been nothing but civil, objective, and truthful to the best of my knowledge here, and yet you continue to attack or lump people in some sort of "group" simply based on the vehicle they own and you talk down to them like they're some sort of idiots because they don't own a Ford. That's the way YOU make it sound, anyway. Makes me wonder if you feel the same way about "certain other minorities" simply because they're a minority or different than you.

Quote:

Your assertion about the Def not damaging the paint surface when wiped up immediately is correct. I have missed a few drops when I spilled a little on my truck when I threw the empty 2.5 gallon jug into the bed. These show up as white residue on the paint. I did not notice it until morning...guess what...it wiped off with NO PAINT DAMAGE...can you believe it...do not care if you do not...

Again with the condescending attitude for no reason. Can you tell me where I said leaving it on for a certain amount of time would cause damage? Nope, because I didn't. I said long-term. If you think overnight is long-term then maybe you need to change what you think "long-term" means.

Quote:

Now to your ridiculous request for me to deliberately attempt to damage the paint on my nice new 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel powered F350,

It's not ridiculous, I'm simply proving a point that not even you think DEF is 100% harmless. You take offense to someone saying spilled DEF needs to be wiped/rinsed off to prevent damage, saying it's a lie, essentially saying DEF is harmless, and then call my suggestion ridiculous. You know what that's called? I'm sure you do.

Quote:

one of over 300,000 2011 6.7 Ford diesels produced to date. Man, that's a lot of nice new shiny new Ford's. I will continue to follow common sense and Ford's advice to wipe any spillage up as soon as possible...why wouldn't I???? I never said it was harmless...just not as damaging as another here would imply...and be wrong...

He said "Keep it off your paint." He didn't say it was the end of the world or the sky was falling, those were your words to exaggerate and attack. He didn't say "Absolutely do not let it ever touch your paint or your paint will be instantly damaged beyond repair!" but I'm sure that's the way you took it from a "Dodge Boy."

I really couldn't care less how many trucks have been produced, you keep throwing those numbers out like they're meaningful. Get over it and yourself.

Quote:

Block away if you must...but just think about what new facts you will miss...isn't this fun....

Regards

Honestly, I won't miss any facts. All I'll miss are rants by a fanatic.

Have a nice day.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope a little bat urine won't ruin the paint [emoticon]

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tx racer 67 wrote:

The 2500 gvwr is 9600.gawr front 5500.gawr rear 6000. gccw2314 The 3500 drw is 12200 front 5500. rear 9350.gccw 4726.
Thanks for the numbers. Looks like they've raised the front axle weight ratings by about 300 lbs. I think they were 5200 lbs before. The rear axle weight ratings appear to be exactly the same as before. Dually GVWR is same as before. Maybe the 2500 GVWR is a little higher now, I think it was 9000 before?

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rest of the topic has now gone all to sh1t now that the usual suspects have jumped in to argue over and over about the same thing. Wonderful....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New high output dodge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS