|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our trip to Point Sublime, north rim, Grand Canyon NP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
BobnNan

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our three week trip to various points west we wanted to get off the beaten path. One of our destinations was the seldom visited Point Sublime on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
[image]

Our approach was from the south east on hwy 89, across the Colorado River, and upward alongside the Vermilion Cliffs to the Kaibab plateau.
[image]

From here we took hwy 67 south toward Grand Canyon NP, the Bright Angel lodge and our trail head to Point Sublime.
[image]

The road to Point Sublime, which starts at the Widforss Trailhead, is clearly marked.
[image]

The road to Point Sublime is 18 miles long, which one website described as "a reasonably maintained road." Given our experience, "reason" had not yet been applied to the road's maintenance.

Though it was quite smooth in spots, in many places it was quite steep, deeply rutted and strewn with deep holes and rocks - all these often occurring at the same time! I'm glad we had 4wd and low range.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I even needed some spotting in places!
[image]

After about three hours we made it - and what a view! All the bumping along was so worth it.
[image]

[image]

[image]

There is a small campground at the trail's end - probably 3-4 sites with picnic tables and one brand new, state of the art, solar powered composting biffy.

Since we were the only ones out there we had our pick of the sites, each of which were literally within 20 yards of the Canyon's rim.
[image]

[image]

We settled in to rest and await the sunset
[image]

The magnitude of the view and the silence are truly awe inspiring.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Point Sublime is not a tidy, manicured place. Signs of its wildness are all around.
[image]

The sunset was breathtaking...
[image]

[image]

I started eating breakfast in the camper then thought "What am I doing?" and promptly moved my chair to enjoy the view!
[image]

The road out was no less bumpy, but we knew what we were in for.
[image]

I'm not sure carrying a chainsaw would help much with deadfall this large. Thankfully the rangers had taken care of this earlier in the year.
[image]

Rattling along on our way out my wife made a light hearted jest about our "stealth vehicle." All of you who're familiar with the sound of a 24 valve Cummins turbo diesel will get the joke... But within 15 minutes of that comment we saw the following wildlife:
A Kaibab squirrel
[image]

Black Tail or Mule Deer
[image]

A Grouse of some sort, with two chicks
[image]

All these let us stop (ctd idling away) and take numerous pictures! So much for the "stealth vehicle" joke [emoticon]

We rumbled out in time to hit the NP campground store for treats, have lunch and head north toward Zion NP!

Having just finished 11 months of chemotherapy our Point Sublime trip was just the thing for recuperation.
[image]

Big Red Dodge and the Little Palomino - A 1999 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4x4, qclb, 181,000 miles, BHAF, 4" TBE, on 33" BFG ATs. Camper is an '88 Palomino pop up in mint condition.

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on your intrepid spirit and willingness to leave the blacktop for some truly inspiring scenery. Knowing just how special having an incredible viewpoint all to yourself is, I am happy for you that it was possible on your visit.

I hope this journey is the first step in a long, healthy return to normalcy in your life. I look forward to hearing about your many future adventures.

Eric

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/11 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes -- great trip and pictures. I can't believe I haven't been there - but that can be fixed.

Cal

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice, really nice. The North Rim is our favorite side and we've boondocked a 1/2 mile off the road, but nothing like your trip. We did drive out there last summer in our 4x4 SUV and now I'm ready to go back, thanks to your pictures.

* This post was edited 07/10/11 03:40pm by Ivylog *

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

TBH219

South East, Charleston SC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pics are beautiful and the location was one in a million. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us.

Glad that you were able to get out and enjoy it. Heres to many many more just like it.

Happy trails Blake

2011 Ford F-350 CC SWB 4X4 SRW 6.2L 4.30 Gears Torklift tiedowns/Fastguns

2011 Northstar Laredo SC 4ea.AGM'S 240 watts of solar and some other stuff.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great way to celebrate your return to health! Thank you for sharing this beautiful place with us.

Are those grouse chicks extremely well camouflaged or just not in the photo?

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love seeing these remote locations to camp, in such busy parks like Grand Canyon National Park. The solitude must be deafening. They are there, for those that make the effort to get to them. I am glad you did and the photos were superb, as well. I will look forward to the next installment of your grand adventure. Thank you.

b

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/11 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Just - wow.

rwj146

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/11 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

What a great way to celebrate your return to health! Thank you for sharing this beautiful place with us.

Are those grouse chicks extremely well camouflaged or just not in the photo?

X2 Thanks for the trip report.

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

Rangerz

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/11 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking spot. Thanks for sharing.

Curious how low the tress were on the drive in. Thinking about trying it with my Lance 825.

2002 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 4x4 Diesel
2009 Lance 825
2005 Jeep TJ
2010 Polaris RZR
2010 Mirage 16' Enclosed Trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our trip to Point Sublime, north rim, Grand Canyon NP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.