|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generator receiver hitch mount

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/11 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend and I built this receiver hitch mount for his brother's class B camper van. First we welded a receiver hitch to the van, since it didn't have one. I didn't take pictures of the hitch.

The generator is a Champion 2000. It is surprisingly quiet for being an unenclosed 'contractor' grade generator. Has both 120v and 240v output.

The hitch mount is designed in 2 pieces. One piece is the 2-1/2" tube and gussets welded to the generator's frame. The second piece is an adjustable 2" tube that goes between the generator and the receiver hitch. He wanted to be able to use the generator off the truck and roll it around on it's own wheels, without having a long tube sticking out the side of it for the hitch mount. So, we made the tube removable and adjustable for length so he can move it back away from the rear of the van to access the rear doors, without taking the generator completely off the hitch.

Materials used were 2-1/2" x 1/4" wall square seamless tube, 2" x 1/4" wall square tube and 3/16" flat plate for the gussets. I don't know the thickness of the 1" round tube the generator frame is made of. It was thin enough that I had to be careful about washing into the round tube too much and burning through it.

Machine used was my Millermatic Passport mig with .035" E71T-GS fluxcore wire.

All in all it was a quick, easy project. Most time consuming part was drilling all the 5/8" hitch pin holes on the drill press. Drilling is my least favorite task in metal fabrication. [emoticon]

Here is the genny on the van.

[image]

[image]

Here is the 2-1/2" tube and gussets welded to the generator frame.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/11 11:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a job well done!

It sure is strong enough. Two locking pins, and it will be nearly impossible to steal it too!

Fred.

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 12:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like this one!

How hard is it to get the thing on the receiver? I have a true contractor's generator that weighs in at 350 lbs. Right now I use ramps and load it into the pickup. I'm thinking that something like this would make it easier to move.

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job Glen,looks like it will do the job.Still love my bike rack.

2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!">

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys.

Matt, I'm guessing the generator weighs probably not more than 100 lbs. I picked it up by myself a couple times and it wasn't a big struggle. My friend and I picked up each end of it and put it on the hitch, which was very easy. I'm sure I could have put it on there by myself.

If yours weighs 350 lbs, you'll probably want to enlist the help of a small car floor jack to lift it up to hitch height, guide it into the hitch and roll it in with the jack, if doing it by yourself. Harbor Freight sells those light weight aluminum 'racing' floor jacks that are very easy to operate and don't weigh much.

Fred, yes, the plan was to get 2 locking hitch pins. For now, he is using regular pins and clips, since he said that's all they had at Home Depot when he went there. I advised him to get those locks on there quick, before the thing grows legs!

Craig, thanks. Glad you're still enjoying the scooter rack! [emoticon]

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job... pretty welds... it would fit my front hitch to.

sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any twisting motion as you drive down the road? Looks like it would rock side to side being supported only by the "roll cage" which is pretty cheap tubing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no flexing or rocking within the cage and welded tube assembly.

There is rocking between the hitch receiver, 2" tube and 2-1/2" tube, as is usually the case with any receiver hitch slide-in attachment. The movement due to clearances between the tubes can be reduced by using one of the many hitch anti-rattle devices available for any 2" receiver hitch application.

I do not know if he will buy any of those anti-rattle devices when he buys his locking hitch pins or not. If it were mine, I would be using locking anti-rattle Draw-Tite J-Pins for both hitch pins, to reduce the slop.

I use the J-Pins and have found them to be quite effective at reducing movement in the horizontal direction and somewhat in the twisting direction in my front hitch mounted storage box, as well as other things I slide into my receiver hitches. The J-Pins don't do much to reduce up/down movement, but there are other types of anti-rattle devices that do reduce up/down movement effectively.

stickyeye

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good. Same concept as the "juice box" that onan made but done at a reasonable cost. What are your plans for waterproofing?

">

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know if he has any plans to cover it from rain, etc. We just built the mount for him.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generator receiver hitch mount
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS