|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Belated Fall 2010 TR - Part 2 of 3 - Gettysburg

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/11 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing your trip and pictures. I enjoyed them very much! [emoticon]

Growing up all my life in the West and never having been to that area of the country at all, that early part of American history which occured in the East just feels so far away from our culture here. It is nice to be reminded in a more real-life way what we read about and discussed in history class so many years ago (some of which I still remember, surprisingly).

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/11 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GoinThisAway wrote:

What would our country be like if the battle had gone the other way?

Who knows that answer? As some in the South say "I wish we had picked our own @#^% cotton!"

Thanks for the pictorial. I have been to Shiloh NP and may have to make a trip to see Gettysburg.

We have a couple Civil War Parks here within 20 miles - Prairie Grove Battlefield and Pea Ridge National Military Park Battlefield.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/11 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's so much to see in this country of ours, and I get to see some of it with your help. Thank you for the history lesson and nice pictures.

Roadlover

Petoskey, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/11 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for this report. I was there maybe 15 years ago but only for a day and felt I missed so much. After reading this and now having a TC, I'm looking forward to the day my wife and I can spend some time. You really did a very good job. Thanks

"The Journey is the Destination"

2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison
TorkLift Talon Tiedowns, StableLoads and FastGuns with Locks

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath with Fox Landing and Wobble Stoppers

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/11 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was awesome - thanks for providing us this ride-along.

bodacious

St. Augustine, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/11 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best trip report I have read. We will be going there in Sept. Many thanks.

Bodacious & Bride
'00 Northern Lite 10-2000 RR
'06 Escalade CK
'03 GMC 3500 Duramax

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 12:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic and Imformational Trip Report and Photos. I have never visited Gettysburg yet. My Parent's and Youngest Sister visited there about 15 years ago. Now, It is on my bucket list along with other Civil War Sites. Thanks again!

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing TR and amazing location to visit. I have been asked often why I am just traveling the United States and not going overseas. This report is exactly why; there is so much of America to explore up close. Your report just excites me to get to more Gettysburg and more of the Civil War locations and battlefields. Thank you for such a wonderful report. Ok, when is the next part going to arrive?

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/11 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwj146 – Hopefully you’ll get a chance to go back and stop there sometime.

jimmyfred – Here in the east we don’t have the same sort of jaw-dropping beauty that you’ll see in Alaska but we do have many places well worth visiting.

Sabconsulting – Thank you for the compliment. In regards to the lighting, they do give viewers a few minutes at the end with more normal lighting but it’s nowhere near long enough to study such a large detailed painting. Between shows the place is empty. Sure seems a shame if there is a way to light it without damaging it. And, yes, hopefully future generations will value and maintain the historic battlefields of today and learn enough from them to avoid creating new battlefields to add to them.

Camper_Jeff_and_Kelli – You’re welcome. Stop in anytime [emoticon]

Sleepy – That’s an interesting story about the battlefield your grandkids live on. There are several significant Civil War battlefields here in middle Tennessee. There’s no way to save them all but it is important to save enough to give future generations an important history lesson I’ll have to check out that painting in Atlanta sometime.

Weymard – I enjoyed the research and it's comments like yours that make the effort to put it into a post worthwhile.

pa traveler – If the “pa” in your screen name stands for Pennsylvania then thank you for letting us visit your state.

Kohldad – Just tell me when and we’ll meet you there. There’s also Antietam, Manassas, Fredricksburg, …

2006P SD SD – Thank you for the compliment.

SoCalDesertRider – Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel the same about the history of the West. I've made a few trips that way but am limited in how much time I can spend there until I retire. So I'm always happy when you Westerners post a trip [emoticon]

JumboJet – Shiloh is only a few hours from where I live. It’s also a thought provoking place to visit but somehow visiting it didn’t move me as much as Gettysburg did. I think it’s partly because the battlefield is more level and wooded so it's harder to picture the battle in one’s mind and partly because back then I didn’t take the time to follow up on what I’d seen. Maybe it's time for me to go back.

Roadlover – Yes, one day is not enough to delve very deeply into such a large and complex place as Gettysburg. I hope you do make it back with your new TC sometime soon.

whazoo – Good to hear from you! Be sure to check out Part 1 where you’ll see the results of my Whazoo inspired animation.

btggraphix – Glad you liked it and you’re welcome to ride along with us anytime.

bodacious – Will you be taking your Cougar or the Northern Lite? It was really handy having the TC on the auto tour. I only scratched the surface. There is a lot more at Gettysburg to explore – the Peach orchard, Devils Den, the cemetery where Lincoln gave his speech, the town itself. Please be sure to share some of what you see with us.

spacedoutbob – That’s going to be quite some trip coming from CA!

bka0721 – I would like to go overseas some but expect most of my future wandering will be in the US and Canada. I really like traveling with a TC but don’t know if I could get used to driving on the “wrong” side of the road. Gettysburg was the high point of our trip but I think you’ll enjoy Part 3 also [emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/04/11 09:28am by GoinThisAway *

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

texasgal316

texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/11 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the fantastic report and pictures, probably the closest I will ever get, but one can only hope and plan. Thanks again.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Belated Fall 2010 TR - Part 2 of 3 - Gettysburg
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.