RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Bug Bombs ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bug Bombs ???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
OBX-GL

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/11 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having returned from a great month and a half holiday we are cleaning the trailer out and getting it ready for winter storage. Our stay was in Cape Hatteras(soon to be hit by Irene) NC. We have Vacationed there many times and have always encountered Palmetto bugs or roaches in the sand and occasionally in our pop-up. We bought a bug bomb and thought we might try it as my wife did encounter one bug in the night during the trip with the new TT, but that was all for this trip. Have found no bugs now that we are back and cleaning. Having a new TT and wanting to protect it, and ourselves, i'm looking for advice on dealing with these sometimes not so little critters.

2012 Heartland North Trail Caliber Edition 26RLSS
2012 Ram 2500 5.7L Crew 4x4 Long box 3.72 tow-package
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L QC 4x4 long box 3.92 tow-package

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/11 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bug bombing will not hurt your trailer. After bombing just wipe off the table and counters. For maximum protection, open your cabinet doors too. You may have to remove everything from the trailer that is used for cooking and eating. But bombing won't hurt anything as far as the trailer goes.

Be sure to spray very well inside your exterior compartments also.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/11 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not in favor of bug bombs/insecticides. Yes, they kill bugs, but they are bad for you too..

If you only found one bug and haven't seen any since...I just wouldn't worry about it..
A bug or two is all part of the camping adventure.

Now, if your rig is infested, that's a different story..

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/11 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use the Raid Fumigator Fumigating Fogger instead of the aerosol type…

They might cost more but I think they work better… other brands of the same type may also cost less…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/11 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh I hated those giant nasty creatures in Florida! AND....I opened my bay yesterday and 2 hitched a ride to Wisconsin. One jumped out of the bay, I'd like to be around to watch when he freezes to death this winter.[emoticon] I bought bait boxes they do work. From what I was told by my Floridian friends they do not chew or cause damage they are just disgusting!

I would not bomb either it leaves a film in houses with low ceilings and/or small rooms. IMHO to let one off in a small enclosure such as an RV you'd have residue all over not to mention the toxins.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lornaschinske

Here until we leave

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/11 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because we are food vendors, we absolutely cannot have any roaches. We had a rash of roaches last Sept in the RV just as it got cold. I bug bombed/sprayed and still had them. I finally bought some Combat 12 Month Roach traps and set them all over the Class C, the food cart and in our vehicles. That was in Nov of last year. Still no roaches. And we buy our sodas in cartons and the water is in cardboard flats. Believe me, there are roaches all over this campground. New Mexico has more roaches than FL does I think. They are everywhere and they come out at night. Yuk! I also spray around the perimeter of the RV and all the openings with Spectricide but that is mostly for spiders and ants.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/11 05:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use bug bombs. I use them inside once a year. We also set off a bug bomb under our motorhome each spring while the cover is still on it. I open all the outside bins. And set one off inside and under it. It does help.

We lived on boats for years. And bugs were a big problem. We found that we could not bring any paper bags or boxes onboard. Bugs lay eggs in the seams in the glue. We would buy cans of food. Strip the label and clean the can. Then write on it what it was. It did a good job of keeping bugs down but was a lot of work.

On our RV's Both the Airstream we had for 20 years and our motorhome I find the tire covers to be the biggest problem. When you remove one check it inside and out. They seem to love to stay in the inside of them. We spray the bin we store the covers in often. And do not store paper bags ect on board you rig.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

the_happiestcamper

Mount Pleasant, SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/11 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use a bug bomb, please be sure the fridge isn't running and that the stove and water heater don't have pilot lights on.
I have used bug bombs in camper before - no problem. Ventilate well afterwards.

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/11 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always get run out by the little sand ants when camping in the Mytrle beach area. Even inside the truck. When we are heading back to Virginia after a weeks long camping trip there they ants all start coming out of the vents and all around the truck. I usually pull into the now emptied out "south of the Border" area and get after all the ants everywhere...

One trip we camped at Myrtle Beach for a week and went on to the Gatlingburg TN area after that for another week. When we got all setup in TN opened up the fridge and there was a good 20,000 ants in there. the mother lode I guess. Have no idea how all those little ants got into the closed fridge. I sprayed all around the tires, jacks, and hoses all the time and they still manage to get inside somehow...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dublittle

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/11 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Palmetto bugs ain't the same as the little cockroaches. We occasionally get one in our home here in NW Florida and they are tough to get. They don't live long inside and if one gets away from us, we usually find him dead in a day or two. We are told they come inside looking for a cool place. If you only found one, I would wait a day or two before doing anything drastic like a bug bomb. Many years ago there was a story of a man who set of a whole bunch of bug bombs in a trailer. He was injured when the gases reached a pilot light before he got out the door. The trailer was totally destroyed. I think they have changed the propellant to a non-flammable one these days.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bug Bombs ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.