RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Bug Bombs ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bug Bombs ???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/11 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

We always get run out by the little sand ants when camping in the Mytrle beach area. Even inside the truck. When we are heading back to Virginia after a weeks long camping trip there they ants all start coming out of the vents and all around the truck. I usually pull into the now emptied out "south of the Border" area and get after all the ants everywhere...

One trip we camped at Myrtle Beach for a week and went on to the Gatlingburg TN area after that for another week. When we got all setup in TN opened up the fridge and there was a good 20,000 ants in there. the mother lode I guess. Have no idea how all those little ants got into the closed fridge. I sprayed all around the tires, jacks, and hoses all the time and they still manage to get inside somehow...

I got to meet those awful ants in Florida, what a pain when they get inside.[emoticon]
I laid my awning hook up against the MH one day and within an hour it looked like a movie clip of Ants! There were hundreds of them marching up the rod and up the side of the MH and into the cab over area!

Seven Powder ~ Buy it at any hardware store ~this stuff works!!

When you pull in to park sprinkle the powder under your kitchen and bathroom sinks, around your tires, jacks, and most importantly around and on the water hose and electrical cord where it touches the ground. That's how they get in.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/11 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From 30 years of professional pest control in Florida:

Based upon your description, I would not "bomb". A little over the counter residual spray should be enough.

Many folks do use bug bombs but please be careful. Most contain petroleum distillates and can EXPLODE if over used, and there is a source on ignition. It has happened!

A TT is a very small space when compared to a house. These "bombs" are designed for the large spaces found in a regular home.

One more caveat: Also be careful of the use "boric acid". It is touted as safe, and when used properly, it is. BUT it affects children differently and as little as a tablespoon can KILL a 5 year old.

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

OBX-GL

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/11 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all your thoughts.

We are still debating weather we bomb or not. I assume if i bleed my gas and disconnect my battery i will have taken care of all ignition issues? We are not liking the comments of residue being left on surfaces form the bombing.

As mentioned earlier, with eggs in cardboard/glue/boxes,has anyone had the critters make the transfer to there real homes. This is are greatest fear.

2012 Heartland North Trail Caliber Edition 26RLSS
2012 Ram 2500 5.7L Crew 4x4 Long box 3.72 tow-package
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L QC 4x4 long box 3.92 tow-package

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/11 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use the Fumigating Fogger you shouldn’t have the oily residue like you get from the aerosol types… they are not a sprays…

Product Details
3 Pack. Dry fog kills bugs where they hide. No wet mess or residue. Delayed fogging action. Penetrates deep to kill more bugs dead. Kills: Roaches, palmetto bugs, waterbugs, fleas, ticks, mosquitos, flies, ants, and spiders. Raid Fumigator Fumigating Fogger creates a deep-penetrating, fumigating fog that flushes bugs out from where they hide and kills them on contact. When activated, it fumigates the whole room with a dry, white cloud of fog. The fumigating fog stays in the air during the 3-hour treatment, penetrating deep, filling cracks and crevices and going way under furniture and appliances to kill bugs where they hide. That is why it kills so many bugs! Raid Fumigator Fumigating Fogger can be used in kitchens, living areas, garages, attics, basements and pet areas. Drives bugs out and kills on contact delayed fogging allows time to leave room. No oily residue on surfaces. Fresh scent. Made in Canada.

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/11 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have found that where the boxes and bags come from are a problem even in the houses. If it sets a while in a warehouse that has them and is then shipped to your store and you bring it home or store it in your RV it can become a problem.

Knowing that we have kept the bugs down by knowing we need to get rid of the boxes and bags fast. And tend to clean or wash things we buy. Also remember bed bugs are common in many of the countrys the clothes we buy are made. And some will end up in the clothes so also wash them before you wear or store them. A bit of understanding can save you trying to get rid of bugs. But one will make it from time to time.

We live in an area the roaches never were but are showing up more and more in homes and RVs. We do spray and use bomb if we see a couple.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/11 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

I would use the Raid Fumigator Fumigating Fogger instead of the aerosol type…

They might cost more but I think they work better… other brands of the same type may also cost less…

This ^^^

There is nothing better than the Raid Fumigator IMO.

Years ago we bought a used microwave and saw a roach climb out after plugging it in. Come to find out, it must have had a nest. In about a week, we had them everywhere. I had no experience with bug infestations and just thought killing the one I saw was all I needed to do. WRONG. ANd never knew how fast they could multiply.

I had the exterminators come out. They came out regularly and they would get better than back again.

One of the guys with the pest control company who we knew pretty well, said 'let me give you a tip, buy some Raid Fumigators".

I bought one for every room in the house, and even put two under the house, and one in the attic. I wasn't leaving any space for them to go.

Set them off and went to the beach for the weekend. Came back, cleaned everything up, never had another roach since.

I swear by them. I had tried other brands of foggers, heck i tried evyerhing to include paying an exterminator. NOTHING worked but the Raid fumigator. GOod stuff! Don't waste your money on any other kind.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bug Bombs ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.