RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: 5er or TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> 5er or TT?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
XrayMack

Tampa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you explain why 5ers are generally used as full time vehicles? I an sure some folks use TT to full time with. What are the advantages /disadvantages of both.

Thanks

Mack & Julie
2005 F250 Lariat CrewCab 6.0 PSD
2010 Keystone Laredo 303TG

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TT or 5er?

clutch1

North Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traded our 5er for a TT. I didn't like not being to use the bed of my truck for other things.

2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 well equiped with max tow package. 2011 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS.

thecampingman

Wilmington, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 04:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a lot more camper on a 5th wheel chassis. TT's seem to max out under 10,000# while 5th wheels can reach almost twice that weight. And that's not just dead weight, it's extra features like the washer/dryer, the second TV in the bedroom, thermopane windows etc.
Plus 5th wheels tow soooo much better! Where a TT at 6,000# would give you a white knuckled drive, with a 12,000# 5er you would set cruise control and relax.

TT's are a favorite of the weekend campers. That seems the market they're aimed to please.

'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, one thing I hear often, but never read on this forum, is as people age (who FT/snowbird) they have a harder and harder time with the steps in (and up into) a 5'ver.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Commonly discussed topic as either type has pros and cons depending on your personal perspective. Choose whatever suits your needs best and enjoy fulltiming.

imadtchmn

Macon, GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess the best way is to separate these into 2 groups TT and 5th wheel.

TT - advantages
On TT's you don't have steps to walk up. You can use a van, SUV, even a car if your TT is small enough to tow with. You also have the use of your pickup bed to add items that won't fit in your camper. You have full use of the bed and can put a canopy on it if you so desire. You don't have to remove the hitch to use your truck bed. With the newer TT's, you can have more room than the older ones with the addition of slides. You do not have to worry about height as much. Most TT's are less than 11 feet tall.

TT - disadvantages
You do have less storage space in TT's. TT's also generally are not able to carry as much weight for your personal items. Most do not have basements. The do have a tendency to tail wag more than 5th wheels and are harder to control under higher winds. If your TT is set up correctly, this can be kept to a minimum.

5th wheels - advantages
More storage space. You can carry more personal items since they are able to do so. Most now have full closets and plenty of cabinet space. This is the main reason most full-timers go with 5th wheels. The also have a tendency to follow better with much less tail wag. With the slides, the 5th wheels have much more room than the TT's. Along with the slides, you also have higher head room. You also have a basement that provides storage for those items you do not want to carry inside the 5th wheel. They are also very adaptable for generators to be installed.

5th wheel - disadvantages
These can only be pulled by pickups, MDT's, or HDT's. You have to have a 5th wheel hitch or gooseneck hitch. This takes up space in your bed and has to be removed to have use of your bed when not hooked up. You also have to watch your height. Most 5th wheels are 12 foot tall or higher. (up to 13'6"). Weight is also another concern. Some 5th wheels can weight up to 20,000 lbs or more. This may be a concern when considering a TV to tow with.

I know there are other advantages and disadvantages, but this might give you a starting point to consider what you may want to full-time with. I have lived in both and my personal preference is a 5th wheel due to storage and towability. Some may disagree with what I have stated, but then everyone does have their own opinion.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it, love it, and have a good time with it.

1998 Chevy 6.5 TB Dually maxed out for power
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33RLK
DH George
DW Sherry
Dog Lady

cabanaman

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoy the higher cielings and the ease of towing with no sway.Also the added storage of the basement area.

Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

jetboat

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because the wife wanted a 5th.

XrayMack

Tampa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/11 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great info. We love the TT we have now, a 2010 Keystone Laredo with the outdoor kitchen. My main complaint is the tail wag..not so bad if you go about 60 mph. Does anyone know if they make a 5er with an outdoor kitchen?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> 5er or TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS