|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Not Again, Another White Rim Trip part1

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/11 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not Again
Another White Rim Trip
Part1
Monument Valley Tribal Park
To
Moab, Utah

June 19, 2011
My brother, Howard, and I will be heading to the WRT after we deliver our Mother back home in Kingman, Az. This was a change from our original route, but a welcome one and we would hit the road the next day from Kingman. My mother was able to see my son and his sons before going home.
[image]
June 20, 2011
We departed our Mother’s home early morning under a brightly lit sky that was a dark blue, filled the tank and made our way to the I-40 E by the way of Stockton Hill Rd. Traffic being light and moving fast (80mph) we would be in Flagstaff in about 1-1/2 hours.
[image]
Along the I-40 I was telling my brother some of the sights off the interstate that could be seen, he was giving me a nod as he listened.
[image]
Just before the turn off for Page (via Hwy 89) we over took this hard working Dodge truck sporting a camper and pulling a small trailer.
[image]
Hwy89 wander through the north side of Flagstaff, passing among a few pine trees and junipers growing on either side of the highway.
[image]
Open prairie was soon upon us, revealing openness for thousands of square miles.
[image]
[image]
A couple of more miles we pulled over to stretch our legs, across the highway are two horses and Howard wanted a photo of them in the background.
[image]
Monument Valley Tribal Park was only about 4 mile away at this point, the highway sign said so. Visitor Center was spread out with plenty of parking, after paying our entrance fee and receiving a map of the touring route we were off to see the wonders of this enchanted land.

The following are photos taken at Monument Valley Tribal Park, beyond the parking area all roads are dirt, some sandy in nature.
End of the asphalt
[image]
At the Mittens
[image]
[image]

John Ford area, Three Sisters and Elephant Butte
[image]
Howard wanders off to a nearby overlook with his guitar, spending sometime here to enjoy nature’s handy work.
click on pic for video
[image]
Moving on further, deeper into Monument Valley.
[image]
The seven Totem Poles.
[image]
[image]

The “Cube” was our last stop as daylight was burning away and we still had to make Moab before day’s end. Exiting Monument Valley, continuing north on Hwy163 it wasn’t long before we went through Mexican Hat and crossed the San Juan River. Following Highway163 through town and just northeast on our route is what the town was named after, a rather curious rock formation similar in shape of a sombrero
[image]

Hwy163 becomes Hwy191 (Trail of the Ancients) shortly before reaching the town of Bluff, crossing the White Mesa area headed to Blanding and a restaurant to eat a late afternoon meal. I stopped at a one that looked like a good prospect, first thing my brother wanted was a beer to which he was told no for we are a dry town. Nonetheless the food was good, too soon our meal break came to its end and off to Moab we go.

June 21, 2011
We had arrived early evening the day before only to find Cowboy campground full, Horsethief was only a short distance down the road. This morning was presented itself with clear deep blue sky as we ate our breakfast.
[image]
Today I was taking my brother around to some of the sights and pick up the permit for the WRT.
[image]
Across from the visitor center is a fantastic view of the Shafer Trail, a vast view that is awesome sight to behold.
[image]

Mesa Arch was to be our next stop, I myself have not it before and everything here was new to my brother. We stayed her awhile and enjoyed the quiet and view.
[image]
[image]
[image]

From Mesa Arch with a little help of the camera telephoto lens one can see Washer Women Arch down by the WRT.
[image]
With all the rain that had come down recently cactus are showing off their blooms and other flowers were not to be left out.
[image]
[image]

My brother told me that I would make a good tour guide; we headed out of the park to Mineral Road, I wanted to see how high the water was at Green River. Traveling quickly down Hwy 313 the Mineral Rd turn was before us and making good speed down the smooth dirt road the switch back were before us in hardly anytime. An outfitter was waiting by the fence as we passed through over the cattle guard.
[image]

Road improvement where easily seen as I navigated my truck down the new switch back road.
[image]
[image]

Green River was indeed very high, we couldn’t go over to the National Park boundary for it was completely under water so I made for the Mineral Bottom boat ramps for up close view of this river.
[image]
click on pic for video
[image]
[image]

Howard headed beyond the Closed Road sign to look at the drowning road.
[image]
[image]

On the climbing up the switch back I spotted a wreck among the rocks and dirt below.
[image]

It was agreed to take in Gemini Bridges, since neither of us had seen them. Moving on towards our designation we passed by a gas well.
[image]
[image]

We were pulling into the trailhead parking as small group of motorcyclist was about ready to depart, I stopped to talk with them while my brother headed down the trail.
[image]
[image]
I soon caught up with him and we explored the area.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Being done with Gemini Bridges we got on the move to seek out Four Arches Trail.
[image]

To our surprise there was a Boy Scout gathering, an annual event that this group does.
[image]
[image]

I made inquires with the scoutmaster if we were on the right road to Four Arches Trail, Keep following the road he said. That I did till a couple of large juniper branches got in the way and me without a saw.
[image]

Leaving the TC behind we hiked in 2-3 miles and still didn’t see any arches did see some mountain sheep tracks.
[image]
[image]

This was the closest thing to an arch we found and the canyon looked as if it would go on for many more miles.
[image]
[image]
I’d promised my brother dinner at Moab Brewery so we needed to get going. On our way out I was a little turned around and somehow ended up on Metal Masher trail. After consulting the all mighty GPS we got pointed in the correct direction.
[image]

Gemini Bridges Road runs through a narrow small canyon, we saw a jeep headed towards us and as they passed by they gave us thumbs up.
[image]
[image]
[image]
End of the road through this perquisite canyon lead to a rim road overlooking Hwy191 (Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Hwy), so we are at Moab Brewery in short order. After wards we met up with DJ at Cowboy Campground on Hwy313, tomorrow we all meet up at the WRT trailhead.

Thanks to all for coming along, all part1 pictures posted at Travlingman2.All of part1 photos

* This post was edited 09/04/11 02:58pm by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/11 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those trails are a bit more than I want to do, but I sure do enjoy your stories and photos of them. Thanks for sharing.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/11 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nicely done! My favorite is the shot of Shaffer Trail.

I'll come back to watch the video clip later on....supper calls [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/11 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think these are your best pictures to date. Looking forward to part 2. I think we should rename the trail The CT2 Rim Trail, you own it man!

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/11 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

I think these are your best pictures to date. Looking forward to part 2. I think we should rename the trail The CT2 Rim Trail, you own it man!

I agree, The CT2 Rim Trail, you think the park rangers would notice the change in the signage?[emoticon] Part2 is going to have a lot of videos, so set some time aside to watch them.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/11 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent trip! Thanks for the pictures. [emoticon]

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/11 02:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

Very inspiring. You have a hardside camper yet I hear that it is not a good idea to take one on this trail or are bypassing parts of the trail that you would not be able to make it through?
Very enjoyable and thanks for posting.

There is no by passing any where on the WRT, this makes my 3rd trip down there.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 02:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice, thank you . What a great feeling it must be to be able to stand in a place and not have someone push you out their way to get in front of you.

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 03:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, thanks.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/11 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very inspiring. You have a hardside camper yet I hear that it is not a good idea to take one on this trail or are bypassing parts of the trail that you would not be able to make it through?
Very enjoyable and thanks for posting.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Not Again, Another White Rim Trip part1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.