RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Yellowstone: favorite place inside park to camp and why? (

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone: favorite place inside park to camp and why? (

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
shoe777

AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to YNP in a few days and we've always camped at FB because we had our 5er. This time time we will be camping in our truck with topper on it so we're "roughin it". Will probably be moving around a lot and not backtracking. Want to take some of the back roads we have not had time to take before. I would appreciate any "personal" input on backroads and places to camp inside the park. I know a lot of the park is closing soon so don't need that info. Any awesome places that it is allowed to pull over and park (like by a stream, etc.) Thanks so much for any input! I can hardly wait to get there!

DH, Myself
and 5 Fur Balls

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always preferred Madison because of it's location. It's about as CLOSE to a centrally located campground as any and easy access to West Yellowstone for anything you might prefer to purchase outside of the park.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

shoe777

AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Skip!

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/11 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed at Bridge Bay (around '86), Grant (about '90 & 2010) and Mammoth (2009) each where very nice. I would like to try Canyon.

As for "backroads and places to camp inside the park.....awesome places that it is allowed to pull over and park (like by a stream, etc.)", if you mean to camp at these places....as far as I know there are none which one is allowed to legally overnight except at campgrounds in Yellowstone.

If any of the smaller campgrounds are open when your are there, I would believe for what you have described would fill the bill for you. Such as:
Lewis Lake Campground 6 miles south of Grant (should be open to early November)- we have not camped there, but we did canoe on the Lake from there in the '90s.

Norris should be a neat one as well.

Indian Creek might be neat, it seemed like it is off the beaten path when we passed the turn off to it in '09 & '10, but might not be open.

Mammoth is a neat one when visiting the northern part of the park, should be somewhat warmer than the others as well.

Tower Falls also for the northern area, but cooler area. As would Pebble Creek.

[emoticon] Just for driving and seeing vistas and wildlife:
Blacktail Plateau Drive off road between Mammoth & Tower.

[image]
Between West Thumb & Bridge Bay, there was a neat side drive which gets near Yellowstone Lake at times....closer to Bridge Bay, can't remember a name for it.

[image]
Firehole Canyon Drive south of Madison Junction. A very nice drive, neat vistas of the river.

[image]
Several drives off the major highway around Canyon Village area. Great vistas of Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

The regular Hwy from Tower-Roosevelt to Northeast Entrance is neat for wildlife & landscape viewing....also has Slough Creek & Pebble Creek campgrounds off it. Slough Creek is 2.5 miles off the main road and should be open for you.

[image]
Mammoth Campground Aug. 2009

[image]
Grant Campground June 2010

Trip Report

* This post was last edited 02/10/12 02:35pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

shoe777

AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks DesertHawk, Good info!

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always loved Norris campground. Sits on a knoll overlooking a meadow and stream, with wildlife always in the area. Is central to all park locations. Is dry camping only.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/11 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we drove out and looked at Pebble Creek and Slough Creek campgrounds on the northeast highway going toward Cooke City.
They are smaller than the others and along little creeks and out in the wolf and bear country.
water and vaulted toilets

for sightseeing the whole park, Bridge Bay or Fishing Bridge. they are more centrally located.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/11 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We checked out Indian Creek, Norris, Tower, Mammoth and Pebble Creek on our trip there last week. Have camped at Grant (years ago) and have driven thru Bridge Bay & Mammoth previously. Indian Creek & Norris were our favorite smaller CGs that we saw, and with a truck camper you should have no trouble fitting into any of the above. Not sure who's closing when (haven't checked the YNP website); Canyon closed for the season on Labor Day.

Pebble Creek was a lot more open (less shade & privacy in the sites) than the others we saw. Just FYI.

shoe777

AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great responses. Thank you all very much.

newk

Gillette, WY

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There might be better campgrounds in Yellowstone, but my favorite among the many I've tried has been Indian Creek. It's small, more like the typical Forest Service campgrounds that we enjoy. No generators, and the maximum rig weight is 6 tons, which eliminates all but the smaller campers. It's also near good wildlife viewing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yellowstone: favorite place inside park to camp and why? (
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.