|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> We had to get out: Casco Bay, Maine Part I & II

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all this talk of North East truck camper rally, we just had to "escape", even just for a few days.

The road from Southern Quebec to Recompence Shore Campground, on Casco Bay, Maine was just what the doctor ordered. Having only but a few days for a get-away, we organized it in just a few days. Being quite out of season, we anticipated no shortage of vacancies.

Our initial plan was to camp directly on the ocean at Popham Beach. Now, a quick check of the impending weather shows nice day-time highs in the 78F range, however nights down in the 40sF. Unfortunately, the site we had chosen couldn't accommodate any of our needs for comfort (a solid 30-Amp connection, and need for at least 100-feet between neighbors!

Panic. OK, lets forget Popham, and re-direct to Casco Bay, where we know we have all the conveniences of post 18th Century amenities.

Little has ever been said of New Hampshire's impact from hurricane Irene, however we were soon to find that numerous impediments awaited us (Hwy 302 bridge was literally atomized by Irene, thus a detour to Route 2; then, on driving the last stretch to Recompence Shore, we were among the last hand-full of vehicles to make it past a decimated bridge, before this entire stretch would be closed at supper tonight......for 3 weeks [emoticon]). Oh well, we mead it here. And the short hop begins.

Interstate 91 coming into St Johnsbury, VT, at appx 7:40AM this morning:

[image]

[image]

Just arrived less than an hour ago, and all set up in 12-minutes:

[image]

Silversand setting up communications in record time, to up-load trip report:

[image]

Relaxing, coiffing brewskies (New Castle brown ale, and Dunes an Old Brown Dog ale) looking at the sun setting over the pasture, beyond which the Atlantic (actually, bay) sits:

[image]

...we're anticipating taking a taxi into Freeport tomorrow, to do some shopping at LL Bean [emoticon] Now, to get to the several pounds of lobster, and whip up some (some: like 8!) lobster rolls...

Silverdunes just returned from a several mile walk around "the campground". I have to admit, this isn't just any campground. The campground itself is only a tiny portion of an enormous ranch located on Casco Bay. Silver has a particular affinity for Belted Galloway cattle (and, the Highland cattle, too):

One of the volunteer handlers/ranchers:

[image]

Galloway get-together:

[image]

Stay tuned for more manana...

Silver-

* This post was last edited 09/13/11 06:43am by silversand *   View edit history

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few miles south of LL Bean is the Muddy Rudder... a fantastic seafood resturant... WOW!

You can almost see Delorme from the resturants parking lot just to the south of the resturant.

Wish we could be there...

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Sleepy:

We passed the "Rudder" on the way in. DeLorme, too.

I'll make a photo of DeLorme's rather unique display.

You wouldn't believe how humid it is here. We've got the heater on in camper to cut the chill (from well over 80F today, now feels like 48F outside)...

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So we leave Maine and you arrive!!! So sorry to have missed you. We'd have loved to taxi you around like last year.

Which bridge washed out? Was it that brand new little one inside Recompence just before the turn into West Bay? I sure hope not as that is about a year old.

We'll raise a cold brew to you. Down in Freeport is Gritty McDuff's Brew Pub - decent pub food and great beer.

Miss you! Anne and Joe

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

tktplz

Lake Bistineau, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the New Castle Brown Ale. I mix mine half and half with Guinness Extra Stout. Ahhhh, I think I'll have 1 now, thanks for the idea!

"Confidence is the feeling you have before
you fully understand the situation"

1999 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
TorkLift Tie Downs
2010 Travel Lite 690FD
1996 ZX11 Ninja
2000 ZRX1100
2008 Yamaha Zuma 50 Scooter
2010 "Blue" Bulldog, "Luna"

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Anne & Joe!

We really weren't supposed to be here [emoticon] Unfortunately, we must be back before Friday.

We miss you guys! We WILL be back next year...promise. Next time, we *take you* out to Gritty's [emoticon]

Really looking forward to up-dates from The Rally from ya! Say a "hello" to LanceCamper845 and lovely wife from both of us.

New Castle/Guinness:

I've got to try that Guinness ES mix. My favorite is NewCastle w/single-malt scotch (yes, a travesty, I know) !

tktplz

Lake Bistineau, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Castle/Guinness:

I've got to try that Guinness ES mix. My favorite is NewCastle w/single-malt scotch (yes, a travesty, I know) !

Is that an REI roll up table or another brand? I'm looking for a small table that is small storage size, sturdy fits 2-3 people. How do you like yours? Sturdy enough? Made to last?

xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HEY!! Welcome to Maine! You picked the perfect September days to come. Sunny and 80's! Enjoy!

Nik
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD "Outdoorsman"
CC, LB 4x4, SRW, 6-spd Auto, 3.73LSD, Timbrens, TorkLifts and HappiJac QwikLoads

2005 Lance 1010

Member - Cape Lookout Mobile Sportfishermen

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/11 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lobsters alone are worth the trip. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, you two are having too much fun, I'm going to have to confiscate those cows beefore you get too attached to them. The one cow must like a little shock now and again, having it's nose so close to the hot wire fence. Thanks for the peek Silver, Cheers back attcha...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> We had to get out: Casco Bay, Maine Part I & II
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.