|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Not Again, Another White Rim Trail Trip part3

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/11 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not Again
Another White Rim Trip
Part3
On To the White Rim Trail

Before starting on this trip report, I want to give my personal thanks to Bob, Nance, Ben and DJ for joining me on this adventure but also the photos and videos they took and gave me to use, you guys are great!
There are many video links in part3.

June 23, 2011
It was a beautiful morning at Gooseberry Campground, clear blue skies. The plateau face that is behind us was wearing green this morning, the bugs were sleeping late and the lizards didn’t make off with our stuff during the night.
[image]
Everyone is eager this morning to see what lies ahead as we travel to Murphy’s Campground, gathering all our gear and a quick breakfast we’re down the road. Soon we come to a stretch of sandy road that allows us to pick up the pace.
[image]

[image]
Not long into our morning a photo stop was declared, there would be a couple more before reaching the turn off for WhiteCrack Campground
[image]

[image]

Photo video link
[image]

It was agreed to do a side trip to WhiteCrack, for we are making good time this morning. There was one more stop before WhiteCrack in which we we’re all standing on a shelf edge with nothing but air below.
[image]

Finally making to the turn off to WhiteCrack, it’s an easy branch road to the campground.
[image]

Photo video link
[image]

Once out on the hard rock ledge everyone spreads out.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Howard taking a turn behind the wheel and there is more sandy road ahead.
[image]

[image]

Once at the base of Road to Murphy’s, we had made very good time today and I was telling DJ and Bob what to expect making the climb to the top of Murphy’s
Photo video link
[image]

Photo video link
[image]

[image]

[image]

From the heights of Murphy, the view was spectacular; we of us picked a spot out for our rigs.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

DJ told us his camper battery was barely charging and my 3-way was having trouble keeping cold (45 degrees). A meeting was called about making this our turn around point. I told them that we could make it out all the way with an early start and very little photo stops, we all agree on this action.

June 24, 2011
We’re all up to greet another gorgeous sunrise, before leaving this natural wonderland; I wanted a group photo on the Green River side of Murphy Campground.
[image]

[image]

Leaving Murphy and the fantastic view from up high.
Photo video link
[image]

Bob is in the lead until we reach the turn off to Potash Road. Even after a couple of days down here the vast openness doesn’t diminish, soon we are back at the slick rock incline and a photo stop.
[image]

[image]

About noontime, we arrived at Airport Campground and had lunch there.
[image]

Traveling back over the road in which we came does change how it looks as DJ crosses over a ledge in the air.
[image]

With Bob still in the lead, coming up on that little climb with the blind turn, he got a surprise at the top!
Photo video link
[image]

Quickly passing Mussleman Arch and the wonderful Gooseneck Overlook, we have arrived back and are on the road to Potash.
Photo video link
[image]

DJ takes over the lead, as I recall from my last journey on this road there were some good step-downs ledges.
[image]

Towering red sandstone cliffs stood tall as we passed by.
[image]

Ongoing through the third dry wash DJ told Bob and me to go to the right, where he stepped down was a bit of a drop.
[image]

[image]
Around the bend and the beginning of Potash Road and the end of Shafer Trail. Colorado River comes into view after this; it’s amazing that a few months earlier sand bars could be easily seen and now the green is barely keeping its head above water.
[image]

[image]

Potash Ponds came into view along with comment on how blue the water looked, I explained that it was the liner that gave the water such a blue look.
[image]

After going through a little canyon and on passing a up close look of the ponds DJ made a stop and declared airing up time.
[image]

[image]

Photo video link
[image]

We made it to Moab for dinner, drinks and relaxation. It was a long day covering 72 miles from Murphy to Moab Brewery. After dinner we all said our good bye, DJ was off to a motel. My brother and I would catch up with the Strucks at Arch View, tomorrow we would go our separate ways.

Thanks to everyone for following along, all photos and videos can be seen at my Travelingman2 site.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for the fantastic photos!

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

rwj146

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's trip reports like this that made me change my mind about buying a TT and getting a TC. Great pictures and video.

A good trip with friends, doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip... Bob J.

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Don't ever apologize for posts like that. Those are fabulous shots.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was nice , to be able to do that trip together . Tnx. for sharing, nice job .

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome, Fantastic, I have no words ! A great thanks for the pictures and the videos, I was a stowaway !

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a backup camerea mounted on the front bumper would be in order for me to stay on that road. Nice report.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,

You've really been a pioneer in your use of video to document your trips, and I think others looking to follow in your footsteps (wheel tracks) will gain tremendously from it. A great photo/video essay on a "must-do" trail for adventurous TC owners. Thanks for your effort and time (as well as that of your contributors!) over the series.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

BobnNan

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great work editing all the pics and vids, Alex. That must've been quite a job. The only pics I've doctored for sharing are these 3 --

[image]

[image]

[image]

Isn't that funny - they're all of my truck and camper! [emoticon] Apart from these ours are still on the hard drive in raw form! Oh well.

Big Red Dodge and the Little Palomino - A 1999 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4x4, qclb, 181,000 miles, BHAF, 4" TBE, on 33" BFG ATs. Camper is an '88 Palomino pop up in mint condition.

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/11 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics again.

Paul

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Not Again, Another White Rim Trail Trip part3
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.