RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Oil Switch over.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Oil Switch over.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Phils

Cherokee, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ugcamper,

I've used syns for 25 years in everything from a Kenworth to a Weedeater. I was employed in the auto repair business for over a decade, although left that industry about 6 years ago.

Do some searches here and at the www.irv2.com fourms and you'll find more posts that will give you other answers.

I have enough actual evidence about synthetic's benefits to me over the years that there is no question on whether to use it or not. I've done comparisons (ie: making a round-the-country trip in the Kenworth w/o synthetic, then an identical trip with, then an identical trip with semi-synthetic, which is a mix of regular and synthetic). While a big difference between non-synthetic and synthetic there was no difference between synthetic and semi-synthetic as far as fuel mileage was concerned.

Feel free to email if you want specific circumstances that have convinced my of the benefits as I could fill a small book and don't think the rv.net servers would like me putting them all here.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slick50 is just flakes of teflon mixed into the oil. Not a good application of a very good material (good material when used in correct application).

Teflon is a plastic. Plastics have higher rates of thermal expansion. The size of the particles that a "good" oil filter will allow to pass is about 3-5 micons in size. The average size teflon partical (from memory) that Slick50 contains is 5 microns or larger. That means most of the teflon particals are filtered out of the oil and held in the filter element. The engine does not see much if any teflon.

Other thing is that teflon has one of the highest temp of plastics, but it's not high enough to keep it from melting. Plus the thermal expansion of the plastic will have some particals get past the filter, get into the engine system while it's cold, then the engine heats up, expanding the teflon particals in the oil gallories, plugging them up, then the plastic melts, gluing themselves in the oil gallories.

Ruined engine is final product. Government was a big initial user and after one too many seized engines, discontinued it's use. DuPont, the supplier of the original teflon dust, refused to supply Slick50 because they said wrong application, but Slick50 sued and won the right to force DuPont to supply.

BUT this is not to say all additives are bad. I like Moly additive and am looking for a new supplier (old one was family business handed down to daughter, daughter's son not interested and they sold).

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lone Eagle

Tremonton, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/02 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might be of interest to some. http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm#compatible
Later! Lone Eagle

2002 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Juice 4.61 with MBRP 4" Exhaust
Racor Secondary Fuel Filter
ISSPRO Pyro & Boost Gauges
2002 Wildcat 27RL with
LT245X75X16 BFGs
B&W Turnover Ball

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Oil Switch over.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.