|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2010 F150

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Heiny57

Middle TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/11 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking into getting a TT and I would like any opinion's what weight trailer would be comfortable pulling. I am getting this for work so it will only be pulled around 4 times a year. I travel alone and would not load any water or any thing except cloths.

Truck

4.6 3 valve 290 hp 320 torque, 3.55 gears, 6 speed auto, towing package.

I do not want to wear my truck out fast with a heavy trailer, but would like as much trailer as reasonable.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/11 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some small trailers, maybe the larger of them would not be to small for you.

Going Small It is an old post some of the links seem not to work now.

Fun Finder have some neat layouts and go from pretty small to quite larger.

For me, I like some of the smaller models: Fun Finder.

Might look at the Fun Finder TTs, such as: X-139 or a X-160 or the X-160 WB.

We have a 2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer with Rear Bed, Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head and have never had any problems with being claustrophobic in it. For one person, it would be even better. We tow with a 2009 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper with tow package, smaller of the V-8s, extra large gas tank. 2010, on a trip to Yellowstone, we averaged 17 mpg towing. We did very little driving except towing, our daughter & son in law had their SUV so we rode with them when sightseeing. This summer on a short trip, got about 20 mpg without towing in mountains and about 18 mpg towing on somewhat flat with having to climb a pass to get home.

I normally have the fresh water tank full while towing and have an extra 26 gal of water in a tank in the pickup. Extra Water

We looked at the T@B, but without a shower & toilet, we passed. They are a Teardrop in shape, but they have a kitchen and room for a port-a-potty. A fairly large teardrop and roomy inside if I remember correctly. If only staying in sites with showers, not a bad trailer.

Scamp TTs and Casita and the Canadian Escape and the all electric Egg Camper.

A new make, "Lil' Snoozy"; seems to all electric as well, but a very nice design, good sized bed. Depending on were you "camp", this would be a really nice trailer if you primary or only stay at campgrounds/RV parks with hookups. This would apply to the EggCamper as well. I have read reports about them; a very roomy small trailer.

Small and Retro Serro Scotty. S/S

A 17' 4" travel trailer with a Queensized bed, large holding tanks and large fresh water tank Palomino Gazelle G-150. Clicky

The Dutchmen Eco 718QB seems to be a neat unit as well. Clicky

Another neat Floor Plan. The 2010 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH. It might be nice to have bunk beds, even for a retired couple. Floor Plan and Video

R-Pod Ultra Lite travel trailers by Forest River with 7 floorplans available; a teardrop shape. R-Pod

Teal Camper a very new lightweight, new concept camper. Teal

19'10" Bullet by Keystone seems like a neat one.

Lance 1575 might work.

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 10/20/11 06:53pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/11 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been my experience that Ford, like most manufacturers do a pretty good job of setting towing limits based on their own records for warranty repairs. You should be able to use the maximum trailer weight rating Ford has assigned as long as you do all of the work to determine it. Ratings are for a completely empty truck with only a driver and some fuel. Weight of anything else reduces the rating pound for pound. Use GVWR of the trailer (not empty weight) and account for passengers, cargo and optional equipment and you should be just fine. If you tow under difficult conditions, like steep grades, high altitudes etc. you might want to stay a little lighter but not because of reliability so much as towing performance satisfaction.

Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Bunker41

MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/11 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reg Cab, Supercab, super crew?

4x2 or 4x4?

The 4.6 with 355's depending on configuration is rated from 6000 to 6800 lbs max towing.

http://www.trailerlife.com/Towing-Guides/

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/11 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a 4.6L I would keep it to a 5k GVWR or less. You did say comfortable to tow.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/11 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6800 lbs x 80% = 5400 max loaded trailer

Most folks add 1000lbs of gear and options to a trailer.

Shop for a 4400 dry weight max. A lot of trailers out there in that weight class. Seach for "ultra-light"

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

Heiny57

Middle TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/11 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for replies. This is a little confusing with all the ratings. Let me post mt stuff from the manual and maybe you can help me understand these #s.

truck supercrew 4x2 with 6900# GVWR package (off Sticker)
the badge on truck confirms 6900# and says that no more than 1622# for occupants and load. But it does not say how much the truck weighs. Do I subtract 1622# from 6900# for truck weight?

so I looked up my truck and it says I have 14900# GCWR ,and a maximum trailer weight of 9400#.

I can't see pulling 9400# with this thing long before I'm putting in a new tranny. But maybe not, I know they are building trucks better.

Next thing is tongue weight, I believe mine is rated at 500# what is the option for more tongue weight?

Heiny57

Middle TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/11 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do I find the weight of my truck to complete the calculations?

Heiny57

Middle TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/11 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any help?????

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/11 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stick to something under 5000 pounds dry and you'll be happy. You have plenty of payload for about 800 pounds of hitch weight and only you in the cab.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2010 F150
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.