|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dually swingout front leg stabilizers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Terrick down Under

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all.
I have been reading this subject with great zest. All the different ideas have helped me to repair and modify our front legs.
First we had to repair the damage to the front left body and add a support brace to make sure it doesn't happen again.
[image]
Simply placed a piece of 1" x 3" box steel tube with flat end plates welded on. These bolt thru the original swing out bracket mounts.
[image]
[image]
Then I had to make the stabilizers mount to the existing lower front leg weld on nuts. AND swing up and out of the way when travelling. This was by simply by folding two pieces of 1/8" flat bar to 2 x 90 degree bends to support and fit around the leg. The pivot bolts are done up just enough to allow the stabilizer bars to swing up but not rattle while driving.
[image]
The long bolt fitted upside down simply drops out and the brace swings up to the swing out bracket, even when on the pickup.
[image]
It also had to clear the dually flairs when load and unloading.
[image]
[image]
When they are not required, they simply un-pin from the front cross bar and the unistrut rail running down the side, (that also holds the tie downs into place) and velcro to the swing out brackets.
[image]
This set up for us helps because the front section of the camper is where the ground drops away and the front left leg is almost at full extension when getting to load height.
[image]
I hope this can help someone like you all have helped me, with all the different suggestions. When you look thru the pics you will be able to see your own ideas.
Thanks

* This post was edited 10/01/11 06:32pm by Terrick down Under *

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/11 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice metalwork - looks really good.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Gripnriprod

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/11 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell us what happened to cause the damage. We could learn from that. Also, what are you doing to compensate for the reduction of space between the TC and the cab of your truck? The frame may flex enough to cause the new support to impinge on the cab and leave a nasty scar.

'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

Terrick down Under

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/11 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well it all started back late last year,
quote..."The fork lifts to TC off the transport pallet and starts to back up, with me doing the scan of the area, but I missed the front left leg alignment with the packing riser......... Yep, it pulled the bottom of the leg about 6 inches straight out. I was going to vomit all over the dock, I had read all the stories about "Legs" and thought the worst. But after regaining composure we placed a ratchet strap between the two outer dually brackets, for the front legs pulling it back into position, and lifted it up to reverse the Chevy under..... Cool thinking hey... Now the happijacks would start and stop when THEY wanted to, I thought this is going to fall over,.... but we got it done with DW reversing the "Ute" under the TC. We got the legs up and got out off the docks as fast as we could." end quote.

When we got home I checked out the frame and it looked ok but had pulled on the bolts and outer skin. This was fairly easy to fix.

[image]

With the cross brace,.. it sits just above the bed height and right against the outer skin of the front wall of the TC, i8t is thinner than the front lip of the pickup bed. We have taken it on some very rough roads, ( almost full suspension travel) and yes it did bow slightly, but didnot rub alot when on normal roads or the high winds we travelled thru on the way home from that first outing. My DS was sitting in the back seat and watching the sway back and forth, at first this scared him, but he could see the distance between the brace and the Passthru TC window was not changeing more than 1/16". This gave him some assurance that the movement was not that bad, mainly chassis flex of the pickup.

[image]

In the last pic you can see that there is a slight gap along the brace at the top, but the bottom is against the egde trim, and the cauking at the leg mount is missing from the original damage, I just haven't fixed that yet. Waiting for summer and the air to dry out the whole TC.

[image]

It was designed to remove the risk of the two sides pulling apart or forward ( the unistrut is bolted to the brace as well, about 3/4" from the swing out mount, just behind the wires to the Happijack) but also to keep a certain amount of flex..But as with most things..there is always room for improvement.

"I love looking outside the box, there is always so much more to see".
Terrick

nstate

usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/11 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is an excellent idea, thanks for sharing. Providing tie in points should significantly strengthen the front jacks/supports. Amazing the manufacturers never thought of that. You can bet i'll be copying this mod. Well done.

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/11 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the galvanized unistrut hold down rail come with the camper or did you add it?

Summerwind campers had some very good features.

Thanks for posting a method for reinforcing the front jacks on a dully setup. Many are interested in doing the same.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

Terrick down Under

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 01:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the comments. The unistrut was added by me after the transit to Australia. When they tied the TC down to the 20'x9' pallet, the tie down anchors where over stressed and bent. I thought about the "sagging slide out" mods listed here a while ago where he used the unistrut to reinforce the under side was very well thoughtout. So to spread the load along the entire side of the TC should surely help. And by making the unistrut 1.25" longer and have it all tie in together seemed the thing to do.
Thanks again, and if you need any other pics just let me know.
Terrick

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dually swingout front leg stabilizers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS