|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Aguirre Springs National Rec Area

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
lbrandt

Springfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan on being at Aguirre Springs National Rec Area just a little
north and east of Las Cruces NM. Jan 10, 2012 for about a week.
I don't know if this area gets much use or not and even if it does what about the time frame I am asking about.
Do you think I will be alone or do you think others will be in the area.

Larry & Ann Brandt
FIND US HERE
Where we have been
1999 NRV Tradewinds 7371, W/300 CAT. if it ain't a CAT it must be a dog

07 Jeep Liberty
Chipper & Sally Ann the dog's , Spookie & Patches the cat's.
MotoSat/F1/.74/117W/DW7000
400 Watts Solar

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would believe you should find Aguirre Spring BLM Campground not very busy during the week, more use on week-ends (more day use). But just guessing. It should be a good time for camping up there. We have always like it there. Keep an eye on your pets, we have seen coyotes, a skunk & a kit fox up there in the past. Could be snakes around as well but not very likely in Jan. Neat hiking trails, but could have snow on them in Jan. No water up there, take what you will be needing. In Jan. you might have it all to yourself(s). It will be much cooler up there than in Las Cruces.

[image]
At times the Organs do get snow, especially on the East side.
[image]
[image]
How large of a rig is your Tradewinds? Do you think it will fit? Campground Reviews Seems like some took a 38 foot rig up there??? But sites are pretty short. ???
[image] [image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
The last time I rode up there, they were in the process of taking out tables & shelters & replacing them as well as the vault toilets (if I remember correctly). They have had all summer to get the work done, but I haven't been back yet.

If you make it to Las Cruces, our Southern NM style Mexican Food is the best you will find anywhere. IMHO.
Las Cruces area NM Mexican food plus camping and attractions in the area. Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces, nice desert camping above the Rio Grande if needing a different place to stay in the area. Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Ft. Selden was the boyhood home of Gen. Douglas McArthur.

Ft. Selden is just north of Las Cruces. FORT SELDEN STATE MONUMENT was the last fort Abe Lincoln signed into existence.

North of Alamogordo near Carrizozo, Valley of Fires BLM Campground is a first rate campground with electric & water hookups, good dump station and a fine shower house. Pics & description can be found in the link, down the report of a recent trip there. Or use these: Campground and Cloudcrof, Lincoln/Capitan, Carrizozo/White Oaks.

White Sands Nat'l Monument - Alamogordo Area

* This post was last edited 10/08/11 08:22pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

lbrandt

Springfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertHawk,
Thanks for the reply.
I my Tradewinds is 37' so it looks like I need to find someplace else.
I will look at Leasburg Dam
Any recomendations for drycamping places?

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, never had to dry camp here......but I see many overnighting at our two Wal-Marts. One off I-25 on the east side of Cruces and one off I-10 on the west side.

Might be able to overnight near the empty Toy's R Us building by the Wal-Mart off I-25; McD's is there, just off Lohman Ave, also a Hobby Lobby & Big Lots. I see 18 wheelers parked there a lot, not running....seems to be just parked. Maybe not sleeping. ??? Near a Walgreens, Best Buy, Staples.

There is BLM land around Cruces, perhaps on the west mesa one could find a spot to use, by the air port towards Picacho (Peak), but could be a little isolated at night.

Or out from Organ (village) off US 70 along Baylor Canyon Road, one could find some spots which could be use, or from Las Cruces, using E University Ave (going East) going toward "A" mountain a few spots could be used. University turns into Dripping Springs Rd. After passing "A" Mt, there is a fairly large shelter with tables, not sure if it has a sign say no camping or not. Other spots farther out on the way to Dripping Springs Rec Area (no camping there, only day use), after the pavement ends, about a mile or so farther, just past a cattle guard there is a fairly wide turn off which should work well for an overnight. Not too far out in the boonies, but.....should be kind of quit out there. But not off the road much.
[image]
I believe this photos was taken at the turn out.

[image]
This one was taken closer to 'A' Mountain.

Perhaps one could stealth 'camp'/overnight in one of the isolated housing areas on the edges of town. I enjoy doing bike rides off Las Alturas Dr. (over by E University Ave, just before crossing I-25 east side). Follow Las Alturas a few miles, paralleling I-25, to Telbrook Rd. (East); follow Telbrook to Aggie Rodeo Dr. (just follow the paved road). At the intersection of Aggie Rodeo & Telbrook, there is a pull off which is fairly large. Or keep following Aggie Rodeo (the paved road) soon there will be some very fine homes and some under construction.....as you get to the farther reaches of this road. The road will take a turn to the west, but there will be a street to the east, take this street, it will lead to some deserted streets some with culdesacs or dead ends. At these culdesacs/dead ends, I believe would work well for an overnight. Unless the area has patrols, not sure then. But not many homes in this part of the subdivision. Would be lonely at night. Cell phone should work...not too far from town/I-25.

West side of Cruces, Off W. Picacho Ave; take Picacho Hills Dr to Barcelona Ridge Rd to the top of the Ridge....there is a water storage tank up there and perhaps some desert space around there to do an overnight. But this is in a Country Club-Like area with some gated areas...??? Above Picacho Hills Country Club. Or better still, before getting to the Ridge take a divided street North just past Saragossa Court off Barcelona Ridge, this will take you away from houses, with empty land and some culdesacs. Should find a place to stealth overnight. There are some empty dirt roads and desert areas out that way as well. Picacho (Peak) will be just to the north of here. Trails lead to it from several spots in this area. Should be kind of close to homes, but feels like out in the desert boonies. Lot of sand up there, don't stray too far on the small treks. Unless you have FourWheel Drive.
[image]
Picacho from the Picacho Hills Area

[image]
Same area looking toward the Dona Ana Mts.

[image]
View from Picacho Hills toward 'A' Mountain across Las Cruces, maybe from Barcelona Ridge.

[image]
Same spot as the above photo.

[emoticon] [emoticon] Best I can remember.

They do have dry camping at Leasburgh, $10 per night. No entrance fee on top of camping fee.
State Park Fees

Not sure if they have any primitive sites for $8 per night or not.
Park's Web Site

Oh, yes. Some more maybes.
The rest area off I-10 west of Las Cruces on the West Mesa is off the interstate a good bit and has some room for overnighting. I'm pretty sure they allow overnighting.

Also on the West Mesa, by the turn off to Love's Truck Stop and the Air Port, farther west of the rest area, there are some commercial buildings, manufacturing, cheese factory & the truck stop. Seems one of the large building is for sale and not in business now. Maybe something up there would work. Have to check it out to see.

On the Air Port side of the interstate, take the frontage road west paralleling I-10, a mile or so the will be an Army Reserve or National Guard Armory (don't use their parking lot) and a street off the frontage road to the right. There is room to park on the side of the street. One side is the Armory on the other a manufacturer of weight lifting equipment (if it is still in operation?). This might be an ok place to overnight.

But not far from this area is a NM State Prison as well. They have sign not to pick up hitch hikers in the area on the interstate. [emoticon]

Farther up I-10 at the next exit, there is the Southern NM State Fairgrounds, not sure if they have any place to do an overnight or not. Still kind of close to the prison. But I have never heard of anyone escaping and doing anyone any harm. Not saying it has not happened. There is a Bowlin's Running Indian (or something) Trading Post at that exit as well. The frontage road on the South side of the interstate and to the west will take you out into BLM land and hook to the south with lots of places to dry camp.

Closer to town, just as you get into the city on I-10 from the West Mesa at the Pilot & TruckStops of America (TA) exit 139, TA has a large paved parking area to the north. Should be room to overnight. There is a large empty 'dirt' area behind the TA parking area, which can be entered by passing TA on N Motel Blvd and using the road to the right which goes to a tall 'micro-wave' tower and a dirt road goes to this empty area or go a little farther up Motel Blvd to Westway Ave turn right and it goes to other empty area. Westway is paved. Likewise, Maybe something would work. Have to check it out to see.

On up Motel Blvd, there is the County of Dona Ana's Government Center with lots of parking, not sure about how they view overnighting. 845 North Motel Boulevard
Las Cruces City Technical Services is across the street as well with some parking spaces. ????

For the Adventurous Boondocker, West of Las Cruces 13 to 15 miles perhaps using I-10 W exit 127 (Running Indian Trading Post), cross over the interstate to the frontage road south side, turn right follow frontage road parallel with interstate. Take the 2nd road to the left (County Rd B005) . Once on this road....it will take you to many other roads and jeep trails (if into off ATVs or Quads) as well a one or two lava flows. One could find a site to campout or overnight out that way. Farther out using this road will take you to the Union Pacific RR Tracts and another road(s) on each side of the tracks. A lava flow is across the tracts...there are roads which cross at intervals. "Southwest of Las Cruces lies the Afton/Aden Lava Flow. The Lava Flow is home to historic wonders—like the prehistoric sloth found in one of the fumaroles (lava vents)—and an incredible diversity of plant and animal life. The age of the different parts of the flow varies, adding to the excitement and fascination of such a starkly beautiful land, where undulating lava rock ridges promise new discoveries beyond each bend."
Afton Lava Flow
One could reach Kilborne Hole if follow the tracks far enough & get off at the right site. "- National Natural Landmark:16
26 miles southwest of Las Cruces in Dona Ana County. An uncommon volcanic feature known as a maar, which is a depression caused by volcanic explosion that emits little volcanic material except gas".
Map

* This post was last edited 11/09/11 11:36pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

lbrandt

Springfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/11 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all your help and suggestions of locations. I think we will go to Leasburg Dam and spend a few days to tour the area.
We are going to Tucson AZ for 7 weeks than we will come back to Hidden Valley Ranch just north of Deming for a month or so around the first of March 2012.
We were at HVR January of 2011. We got caught up in that cold weather you all had last year.
We really liked HVR and the people that run the place and the perminate residents there are all really gerat.
They keep telling us "this weather is not common here"
I am use to cold weather. We have been out in -21F without any problems. We were the only one in the CG that didn't freeze up.
I do like to ger off the beaten path. We like Death Valley, THe Bad Lands, Flamingo NP in the Everglades and Joshaua Tree NP. Have 400+ watts of solar and 6 (6V-GC2)house batterys and 2 engine batterys.
Of course we also have a 6.5KVA gen set, carry 100 gal H2O.
I like to rough it but I still like my conforts.
Again Thanks for the help

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/11 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Daughter & family live in Tucson, which has proven to be a neat city, easy to get around in, with many things to see and do around it. Never camped there, however. But visit often. Maybe something in this will help out: [emoticon] Clicky.

An old Snowbirding Post.

Chiricahua National Monument by Wilcox is a neat place. The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum, just west of Tucson is really great (a zoo mainly without bars mostly) is over on the west side of Tucson by the Saguaro Nat'l Park and Old Tucson (the movie set/theme park). The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum is a must see for sure. Tucson Mountain Park and Gilbert Ray Campground in near by. I drove into the campground last spring, it wouldn't be a bad place to spend some time. I believe it is first come/first served which I prefer. Kartchner Caverns State Park from what I have read should also be a neat place, we have not gone yet.

If you haven't been to the City of Rocks SP, 30 some miles north of Deming, it is a neat place, well worth a visit.

Here is an old post dealing with mostly things off of or near I-10 in New Mexico & AZ: [emoticon] Clicky

We have done about 40 winters in the Las Cruces Area, believe them when they said it was the worst cold snap ever.....it was no where close to normal. Tucson got hit as well, just not quite as hard as we did. Around town trees close to 40 years old were killed as well as many other plants. Lot of broken pipes around town. We only had it freeze coming to the house, one day, then we left a faucet dripping in the house at night. Never had it been so cold before, nor last so long. Wow! It sure surprised us. Tucson lost a few trees & plants, but not many. In February, no less.

Just hoping for it NOT to return again, at least not too soon.

* This post was edited 10/09/11 03:17pm by DesertHawk *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Aguirre Springs National Rec Area
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.